General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MADE IN AMERICA... What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:01 PM
OLDMILL
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MADE IN AMERICA... What do you think?

I feel that the statement "MADE IN AMERICA" should mean something to the people who produce andbuy said product. Point in case Harley Davidson. Don't get me wrong I have loved every Harley I owned or have ever been around. What bothers me is the fact that when I go to the dealer to buy parts or accessories the lable, in most cases will not say made in America. It will say made in China or some other country not theUSA.
But the price will not be what you would expect from an imported product.
Then we have the bikes, Things of beauty that we all love and pay tens of thousands of dollars for but after time we find that the people who build them may have let us down some by useing less then the best quality parts with less then the best in quality control when building the bikes. It has'ent been that long ago
that Harley was on the brink of financial failure. "The early 80's for the younger crowd" Who kept them afloat? WE DID! I think we diserve better, What do you think?
Who knows maybe if more peoplethan me havethis feeling we could send a link to this thread to our local dealer and even the great Motor Co.

Thanks for your time.

Ed Chambers, aka OLDMILL

Old 01-13-2008, 05:05 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior
Default RE: MADE IN AMERICA... What do you think?

Now I know why my bike always leans toward all Asian restaurants.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Chief40al
Road Captain

HOW TRUE IT IS.[>:]

Old 01-13-2008, 05:06 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It's the way of the world,Harleys have been like a friends vanity plate states:"HALF JAP" for over 30 yrs.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
budwfo
Road Captain

Whats the ratio now, something like 78% american and the rest from all over the place,,,,I've read about this somewhere...

Old 01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
ducbob
Banned

A good reason to buy products made in the USA

Old 01-13-2008, 05:18 PM
eglidebob
Tourer

The HD bikes themselves ARE "Made in America". In order to be labeled "Made in America" the bike would have to be "all or virtually all" built with parts produced here. I think the last I heard was that HD's were 90-90% domestic parts. Now, the accesories and motorclothes...that is something that pisses me off. Try finding anything in a Harley shop made in the USA , except the bikes.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:23 PM
airdog
Cruiser

I don't know what IS made in America any more. Unless its some product from a mom and pop company, which charge exorbitant prices for their material and labor. Don't get me wrong, I support localmom & pop's whenever I can; but corporations have fled across the borders and oceans to exploit labor, governments, and human rights producing their products for pennies on the dollar still charging the US consumer made in America prices. And there's not likely to be any change because people don't care. they want what they want for as cheap a price as they can get. you can bet your last biking dollar that if, say again IF, the moco went offshore to china you and I would still be paying same or higher prices for bikes. Look around your home town or county. jobs are either gone or going. America has sold out the blue collar worker, artisans, and local manufacturers for the benefit of the corporation.

sorry... rant mode off. You've got a good heart Ed, the power is not with the people any longer though.

Les
Bath, NC

Old 01-13-2008, 05:25 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how true !!!!!!!! every accesory is made in tawine or korea or china. I try to buy aftermarket from anyone other than H-D.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:35 PM
HarleyDawg
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sam Walton would roll over in his grave if knew 50% of everything Walmart sells was made in China.

Quick Reply: MADE IN AMERICA... What do you think?