General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Helmets in NC

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:10 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACC Helmets in NC

I went by the local dealership and we talked about the new helmet law for NC. They said my ACC helmet was not legal any longer. So I called the State Troopers office. He read the law and we broke it down to his interpetation. All helmets must have the 1 inch of foam inside the helmet. ACC helmets have only 5/8 inch of foam. Even though the helmet is DOT it is not legal because of the 3/8s inch of foam that is missing. That is the only part of the law that the ACC helmet doesnt pass.

Dont blame the Trooper he is just the messanger. Really super guy actually. This law suxs.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:15 PM
airdog
Cruiser
Default RE: ACC Helmets in NC

so, are you going to keep wearing it?

I've been thinking a lot of picking one up even with the new law. If you haven't see it yet, there's some good info at the bikercourt.com site, which indicates our new lawfails due tovagueness and the governing standard fvmss doesn't list specifically what helmets are/aren't approved. additionally thatthe federal law supercedes any state law. should be interesting.

airdog

Old 01-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live just north of the state line and frequent to NC all year round. As a matter of fact drove down this afternoon and back.

In warmer weather I wear my ACC. So I guess that now that some new law is in effect I'm suspect for a ticket for not compling with state laws?

What they going to do about some one passing through the state, say going to Bike week?

Just how new is this law?

And what are the fines?

Old 01-12-2008, 07:41 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: airdog

I've been thinking a lot of picking one up even with the new law. If you haven't see it yet, there's some good info at the bikercourt.com site, which indicates our new lawfails due tovagueness and the governing standard fvmss doesn't list specifically what helmets are/aren't approved. additionally thatthe federal law supercedes any state law. should be interesting.

airdog
I dont know what I am going to do. The new law states 1 error that the commissioner must approve it. None are approved to date. I had the ACC helmet made compliant by Erin at Acc with all the stickers needed. The 1 part that wasnt was the lining is 5/8s of an inch instead of an inch. I personally after talking to the State Trooper (which I must say was nice and understood my concerns. He could have been better to me in any way) dont know what I am going to do. He did state if found with out a NC LEGAL helmet then the driver would be told to either get someone to bring them a NC LEGAL HELMET or they would have to haul their bike away from the scene. I stated so if I make it 200 miles away and a Trooper stops me there I have to get someone to bring me a helmet or haul my bike? Yes you will not be allowed to continue.

THEY DONT EVEN HAVE THESES FEN HELMET NO WHERE FOR SALE THAT I CAN FIND I told him!!!! He was nice and said, "Honestly I dont know what to tell you." I thanked him for his time and told him I didnt hold this against him in any way. If stopped I will not resist.

SO NC YOU HAVE MADE ME AN OUTLAW NOW!!!

I swear I will vote against everyone in office next election.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:42 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Ram

I live just north of the state line and frequent to NC all year round. As a matter of fact drove down this afternoon and back.

In warmer weather I wear my ACC. So I guess that now that some new law is in effect I'm suspect for a ticket for not compling with state laws?

What they going to do about some one passing through the state, say going to Bike week?

Just how new is this law?

And what are the fines?
I didnt ask him the fine. Personally untill some resolution gets done I wouldnt even come the this mother Fing state to ride.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: csbreeze

ORIGINAL: airdog

airdog
I dont know what I am going to do. The new law states 1 error that the commissioner must approve it. None are approved to date. I had the ACC helmet made compliant by Erin at Acc with all the stickers needed. The 1 part that wasnt was the lining is 5/8s of an inch instead of an inch. I personally after talking to the State Trooper (which I must say was nice and understood my concerns. He could have been better to me in any way) dont know what I am going to do. He did state if found with out a NC LEGAL helmet then the driver would be told to either get someone to bring them a NC LEGAL HELMET or they would have to haul their bike away from the scene. I stated so if I make it 200 miles away and a Trooper stops me there I have to get someone to bring me a helmet or haul my bike? Yes you will not be allowed to continue.

THEY DONT EVEN HAVE THESES FEN HELMET NO WHERE FOR SALE THAT I CAN FIND I told him!!!! He was nice and said, "Honestly I dont know what to tell you." I thanked him for his time and told him I didnt hold this against him in any way. If stopped I will not resist.

SO NC YOU HAVE MADE ME AN OUTLAW NOW!!!

I swear I will vote against everyone in office next election.

ERROR: The state trooper COULDNT have been better in any way. He was a very nice guy.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Weve been talking and apperently there is a loophole......... Apperently it doesn't say were you have to were the helmet.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:57 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

Weve been talking and apperently there is a loophole......... Apperently it doesn't say were you have to were the helmet.
Oddly enough the State Trooper did say it ahhaa. If not on your head he said. This law has some loop holes in court but the police will be putting us there I promise you. Its their job and once again I dont hold them responsible for the ignorance of our State Government.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:03 PM
gator_flhr
6th Gear

So, are you saying that there areNO truley approved helmets in NC? Which essentially means my motorcycle is only a means to a ticket? As the commissioner hasnt approved any yet?
-Gator

Old 01-12-2008, 08:06 PM
gator_flhr
6th Gear

Get the Kernel of the State troops to go on the record......that he dosent understand it either, so's i can quote him when i get pulled......wearin' a lid on my knee....lol.
-Gator

Quick Reply: ACC Helmets in NC