General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm going to adjust the clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I'm going to adjust the clutch...

I ahve read the manual and am still a little cloudy on this. I know it's simple, but need a question or two answered. I take off the derby cover and slide the rubber sleev e off the cable. I have an aftermarket steel braided cable so it only has one nut . Do I turn upo towards the top of the bike or down? I take it I slack the cable prior to loosening the locknut on the clutch housing and backing out the screw 1/2 to 1 full turn. Is this correct? Thanks.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I'm going to adjust the clutch...

Slack the cable, re-adjust the clutch, then tighten the cable to obtain the appropriate free-play on the lever. I like mine tight! Don't want to wait for the clutch. I want to pull and smack into the next gear without hesitation. To each his own! I'm probably a little tighter than what the factory recommends.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM
anubisss
Banned

So up is looser and down tighter on the cable, right?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Up or down, right or left, I don't know. Loosen the locknut and turn the adjuster out, your lever should become looser. Once you have taken all the play out of the cable, adjust the clutch. Once cluch adjustment is complete, re-adjust cable to obtain free-play. Personally, I Don't like "free-play". I keep it snug, not tight, so that I barely pull in and can shift without grinding gears. As long as clutch does not slip under load, you are good!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM
anubisss
Banned

Thanks for the info geo...

Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The one nut on your aftermarket cable is likely the lock nut. Turn counter-clickwise to release the lock nut. If I remember, I think you then turn the barrel clockwise to loosen the cable, but in any event you will see the cable slacken with the derby cover off. If that tightens it, just go counter-clockwise. After adjusting the clutch down below, you go back and adjust the slack at the lever, then tighten the lock nut. Good luck.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

Here, it is easy after watching this http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/...clutch-one.htm
ORIGINAL: anubisss

I ahve read the manual and am still a little cloudy on this. I know it's simple, but need a question or two answered. I take off the derby cover and slide the rubber sleev e off the cable. I have an aftermarket steel braided cable so it only has one nut . Do I turn upo towards the top of the bike or down? I take it I slack the cable prior to loosening the locknut on the clutch housing and backing out the screw 1/2 to 1 full turn. Is this correct? Thanks.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a lot of freeplay in my lever. Can I just adjust the freeplay without taking the derby cover off and messing with the clutch adjustment? The clutch seems to be working fine, I just don't like all the freeplay.
I do have to say I have 7000 miles on the bike and haven't adjusted the clutch before. I'm not against adjusting it, it's just that it seems to be working ok so why bother messing with it?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Cool video, though I think the guy needs to do a little more work and drink a little less beer!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket

I have a lot of freeplay in my lever. Can I just adjust the freeplay without taking the derby cover off and messing with the clutch adjustment? The clutch seems to be working fine, I just don't like all the freeplay.
I do have to say I have 7000 miles on the bike and haven't adjusted the clutch before. I'm not against adjusting it, it's just that it seems to be working ok so why bother messing with it?
Adjusting the freeplay at the lever doesn't adjust the clutch, but go ahead. At some point you will notice that the clutch is or is not engauging at the same point as it did before. You may get slippage or drag. The object of clutch maintenance adjustments is to keep the clutch working properly so it will last longer. Beats early replacement of a clutch.

Quick Reply: I'm going to adjust the clutch...