General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets, did I get a disappointment...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 PM
christrx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets, did I get a disappointment...

I ordered a German style DOT approved helmet and the thing makes me look like an old Mario Brothers game character. I didn't know DOT approved meant huge and strange looking. It is way worse than the standard half helmet from HD dealership. If any of you guys have a cool helmet that you think looks good let me know where to shop or if you have a picture of it even better. I don't normally wear one but the wife thinks it might be a good idea. She is probably right since she has me into beliveing she is right most of the time. Thanks for any input.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:07 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Helmets, did I get a disappointment...

I have yet to find a DOT approved helmet that doesn't make you look like a balloon head. I have a Fulmer, Vega, and Daytona, all collecting dust. I wear a flat black German novelty and carry the Vega in my saddlebag in case I get pulled over. I don't know of any DOT approved helmet that isn't huge, including the kevlar kind. Sorry.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, what did you buy exactly? I'm curious

Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: christrx

I ordered a German style DOT approved helmet and the thing makes me look like an old Mario Brothers game character. I didn't know DOT approved meant huge and strange looking. It is way worse than the standard half helmet from HD dealership. If any of you guys have a cool helmet that you think looks good let me know where to shop or if you have a picture of it even better. I don't normally wear one but the wife thinks it might be a good idea. She is probably right since she has me into beliveing she is right most of the time. Thanks for any input.
No substitute for going to several motorcycle dealers (metric too) and accessory shops and trying on a few. There are so many styles and manufacturers. Find the exact helmet and size (it has to fit snug), then order on-line if you are looking for a better price.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:10 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out www.justifieddefiance.com.They've got some cool NOS vintage helmets.They aren't DOT anymore but they were in the early '70's.Better than a novelty and they're pretty streamlined to your head.I think they're pretty cool looking.I wear an early '70's Shoei Fancy Blue and love it even though I don't wear it much here in Fla..Check out eBay too under vintage motorcycle helmets.The '60's to early '70's helmets are the only ones that won't make you look like a bubblehead and are still better than the novelties

Old 01-09-2008, 09:15 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd still like to have an original Simpson Bandit.
Kewl site FandA. I think I still have a Buco helmet around here somewhere.....

Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here ya go:

http://skullscreamers.com/DOT_catalog.htm

Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: kingk9

I have yet to find a DOT approved helmet that doesn't make you look like a balloon head. I have a Fulmer, Vega, and Daytona, all collecting dust. I wear a flat black German novelty and carry the Vega in my saddlebag in case I get pulled over. I don't know of any DOT approved helmet that isn't huge, including the kevlar kind. Sorry.
Some thing like this

Old 01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buco's are cool.I love all the old metalflake helmets like Fulmers,Fury,Ropers.There's a bunch of 'em on eBay right now.There getting a few bucks for them ...even if they're beat up a little

Old 01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
christrx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses the helmet is an EXL from motodirect. I saw their add in back of American Iornhorse mag.

Quick Reply: Helmets, did I get a disappointment...