General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COULD HARLEY DAVIDSON BE IN FOR A BUY OUT.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:16 PM
46knuck
|
Tourer
Default COULD HARLEY DAVIDSON BE IN FOR A BUY OUT.........

Talked to my stock broker yesterday and he thinks it is possible due to the current position of the company and lower price. I don't talk to him very often but he called me to see what I think of things from the customer point of view and then told me he heard of some type of leverage buy out is the talk. I told him about the AMF years and hope that this is just a rumor. I have held stock since 87' but not as much now.He said to hold on to what I have and not sell for now.

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:37 PM
corgi
Road Master
Default RE: COULD HARLEY DAVIDSON BE IN FOR A BUY OUT.........

It's been rumored for some time that Honda would make a play. maybe there's a Harley wing or a Gold Davidson in the future...

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:41 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior

I don't think Willie G & family would want to see the company go thru another AMF debacle.

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:43 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Well, last year HD entered into a 'partnership' (with detail never released) with Zongshen.

Zongshen is the largest manufacturer of motorcycles in China, with over 1 million motorcycles and 2 million engines produced each year (under various names) and shipped to over 150 countries.

No one seems willing to provide detail information of this partnership between HD and Zongshen, but 'word on the street' is that Zongshen will be producing frames and other components for HD, at the very least...

Who knows.....

Maybe within a few years the market will be flooded with low cost, V-Twin, "Zongshen-Davidson" models.... [8D]

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:46 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Well, last year HD entered into a 'partnership' (with detail never released) with Zongshen.

Zongshen is the largest manufacturer of motorcycles in China, with over 1 million motorcycles and 2 million engines produced each year (under various names) and shipped to over 150 countries.

No one seems willing to provide detail information of this partnership between HD and Zongshen, but 'word on the street' is that Zongshen will be producing frames and other components for HD, at the very least...

Who knows.....

Maybe within a few years the market will be flooded with low cost, V-Twin, "Zongshen-Davidson" models.... [8D]
THATShow all those "made in china' parts got here [:'(]...I would of thought toyota would make a play...first nascar then harley...seems logical

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:52 PM
jad
Road Captain

Great to know someone else is watching. Thanks for the info. I bought a little stock twice. My average is around $46.00. I'll take the advise also and hang in there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47469/962927F5353147CAB119B6300C0FB34D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:53 PM
46knuck
|
Tourer

I don't like the sound of any this.[:'(]

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:17 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

hostile takeover by Yamaha?

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:19 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

Could be.

HD is a corp with great products andwith national as well as world wide name recognition, excellent domestic marketing distribution system, although some dealer consolidation is surely in the making, they still will have the market place covered even with fewer dealers.

I think HDproblem is the price points for their products may be too high to sustain salesat optim levels to maintain existing labour and fixed costs along with a fair return to the stock holders. There in lies the problems. How to cut Overhead, and theworkforce. I have no idea how the most recent labour contract reads, but there may be some language preventing wholesale lay offs. Remember, the Union has a leg or two up here.

A simple answer would be to drop production, lay off workers, shutter plants, stop dividendsand hang on for better times. Hopefully, without any labour strife (fat chance!).The Fed may get this thing straightened out and better times may be as soon as late 3rd or 4th quarter this year. This economy is NOT going away, just slowing and will come backstronger. The question is will HD stockholders vote to wait it out?

I'm sure there are several buyers out there. Warren Buffett comes to mind as a potential buyer, as he likes to buy discounted valuecompanies with great products, marketing, and future earnings potential. I believe I remember he rode out on a HD in the NY stock exchange a few years ago, so, I am sure he knows the company. It just depends on whether or not the major stock holders want to wait and see for better times, or cut and run.

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:46 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master

I saw the $40 yesterday and just cringed. Thank God I don't have a lot invested in HD stock. But, at $40, it's tempting to buy some more...

Quick Reply: COULD HARLEY DAVIDSON BE IN FOR A BUY OUT.........