General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COULD HARLEY DAVIDSON BE IN FOR A BUY OUT.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008 | 01:42 AM
FREEFALL
Road Master
Default RE: COULD HARLEY DAVIDSON BE IN FOR A BUY OUT.........

ORIGINAL: EG Ultra Classic

I agree, it is getting interesting. I just don't know about that labour contract theyrecently signed and how it determins lay offs. It may be better off with new owners that can step in and tear that contract up with the previous ownershipand start anew.

One wild card I have been thinking about is if a significant number of the 175k troups in Iraq are brought homein the next 12 months like a lot of the presidential aspiring politicians are pledging. Those hyped up young men and women suddenly decompressing in the states surely will need one of America's only V-twin motorcycle to help them thru it. That would be a sudden sales event for sure, and a shot in the arm for the Motor Company. Things certainlycanget interesting fast.
Funny you should say this. I bought my first Harley while deployed in Iraq in 04-05. Great deal to. I can't remember where I saw it but recently there was a report that Harley sold a record number of bikes to overseas troops. Hell here in Okinawa they sell em at the PX. Talk about salesmen that don't have a clue about the product they sell. I bought my current bike here and recommend the program to anyone that is qualified. The main trick when buying a bike (while deployed) for pickup back in the states is have it shipped to a state that has little or no state sales tax.

S/F
FREEFALL

Old 01-10-2008 | 02:12 AM
schumacher
Club Member

I think Benz should buy Harley. Make it bad as hell....then dump it because they are scared of an american sucess.....

Old 01-10-2008 | 04:24 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

this is a funny post.harley is'nt going any where.

Old 01-10-2008 | 08:38 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

This is sort of tongue in cheek, but has your broker been keeping up with current events? The whole fukin' market has dropped and people are talking recession. There aren't a lot of stocks going up right now due to a lot of issues. People are talking the big "R" word. Yes, H-D is a solid brand, but it's a niche market player. Could someone buy HD? Oh hail yeah. Prices are down on a lot of stocks these days. Credit markets have tightened up. Some are even whispering "stagflation"--where the economy as a whole sits there, but inflation keeps going up. We're seeing some of that now. Prices on gas and so forth.
What's driving HD in the last few years---two words: Baby Boomers and an affluent market. As an aging Baby Boomer, I can see the end coming down the road, a whole lot sooner than later. We just be getting older.
I think HD is a solid bet for a motorcycle company looking to get into the American market with a solid brand name and customer loyalty--and looking for a luxury market to tap into for the next 10-20 years. Mainly it's that bar and shield logo that makes HD so attractive.
As far as Willie G and company and the comments about AMF, keep in mind that Willie G was a lot younger than (as we all were) when HD repurchased and reengineered itself. I don't know if there are any "heir apparents" with the name at HD these days, but selling the company today might be a lot more attractive; especially if offered a board position, etc.

Old 01-10-2008 | 12:01 PM
46knuck
|
Tourer

So, in the end it sounds like you agree thatHD is ripe for a possible buy out.

Old 01-10-2008 | 12:13 PM
46knuck
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: I CUT 1

So yaw wanta' bitch about China and Harley Davidson,O.K., the next time you go to the stealership for that new leather vest or jacket, or boots, or gloves, or hat, or belt, should I go on? How about looking at the tag. NO, not the one with the out of sight price!!! The one that states where it was made. Every thing in the store that is worn on your head to your *** is made in China. Even the t-shirts are making there way to Mexico.
Want to help the USA, then shop around and buy USA. Give Juston boots a try for your feet, USA made. Try Pointer Brand for your bluejeans,jeanjacket, over-alls, USA made. Try going to a western wear and tack store, lots of USA stuff there, they just ride a different beast.
Now, I too have some H/D stock, soI will buy factory parts when it's USA made, otherwiseI'll shop around. Help your country out, BUY AMERICAN!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/49112/DA2D07BCA61C464FB552BEBD9F2D65EF.jpg[/IMG]
I agree, and over half the parts on the HD are made in America.The clothes are not.

I buyAmerican made products as much as possible. Have you all looked at where the freshfood comes from you eat? Especially during the winter months. Likely mexico or below that. Here in Calif we grow almost every fruit and veg you can think of but right now almost every thing is out of season except for oranges, lemons,limes and a few others. So if you are eating a fresh fruit better look at the country of origin.

Old 01-10-2008 | 12:15 PM
wallyn
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 46knuck

Talked to my stock broker yesterday and he thinks it is possible due to the current position of the company and lower price. I don't talk to him very often but he called me to see what I think of things from the customer point of view and then told me he heard of some type of leverage buy out is the talk. I told him about the AMF years and hope that this is just a rumor. I have held stock since 87' but not as much now.He said to hold on to what I have and not sell for now.
If you had to explain the whole AMF saga to your broker you need a new broker. That is like basic US industrial history!

Harley isn't in trouble at $40 a share. I think $40 is a fair trading range for Harley a good buy with fair dividends. I think it was overpriced at $70 that was probably from the FAD buyers responding to the FAD motorcycle market. HOG was in the $40's from 2000 to 2004 pretty steady. i think they will probably stay in that range again for a little while at least.

Old 01-10-2008 | 01:32 PM
dv102
Road Captain

I wouldn't be so paranoid, Companies go through cycles over time and may even change ownership. It seems stock rumors are always predicting doom and gloom more often than not, this panics people and then they start selling off their stock causing the price to fall. But stocks in companies are made to be there for the long hall, not buy today sell tomorrow. That type of thinking makes or breaks companies.

As for layoffs, if there is less demand that is a fact of business it does not mean the company is failing. All they are trying to do is cut costs to keep profits as high as could be. Small consilation for the poor guy getting laid off but the company in whole makes out. (until they need to retrain their workforce).

I don't have stock in harley and probably never will. But think of this, if Harley ever was to be bought out by Honda or any other MOCO it would just make the value of the bike you ride now go up as it will be original not a Honda made harley. It may be that the markets are stabilizing now which is better long term for HD. Sure it was nice while shares were 70 bucks but only if you bought in well below that and sold out at that price. If you bought in at 70 then you are SOL. As long as there are divedends paid out most people with major stake in Harley shares will be happy. The ones that have few shares and buy on whims are the ones that lose out because their return is small.

My 2 cents

Old 01-10-2008 | 01:39 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member

we're heading for a depression after the election

mister can you spare a dime

Old 01-10-2008 | 03:16 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

I think a Harley-Triumph merger would make a lot of sense. Except for the sportster and buell, there is not much overlap in models, Triumph's are less expensive and appeal to younger riders who may later move up to Harley.

Quick Reply: COULD HARLEY DAVIDSON BE IN FOR A BUY OUT.........