General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation Solutions !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:57 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Condensation Solutions !!!!!

ORIGINAL: cadillac

You dont want to use propane heat in there. Propane is a very moist heat and will ADD to the humidity problem. I used to heat with it and after just 1 day, you can see the moisture on everything!

bob
Thanks for the tip. So much for Mr. Heater.

I'm about to buy a self-locking wheel chock. I want to mount it to a nice thick sheet if plywood cut to fit the bed of my truck. Then, when I'm not using it, I can slide it out on the floor in my shop and park the bike on it. That should help with some of the condensation from the concrete. However, I'm sure I'll have to stand it up and dry it out now and then. Maybe I could put some rubber or carpet underneat that...

Old 01-08-2008, 05:08 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 10 dollar box fan turned on low is a fix all.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:28 PM
DonFLSTN
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

Have seen at least 3 posts on this subject. Appears to be new to some, old hat for others. Many good ?'s and many good answers. Been wrenching since the 60's up here in COLD country, has always been a problem, can't change Mother Nature. Try to cover it all here, one more time.
A) Any cold surface exposed to warm air will cause condesation, inside the tank or outside the tank. (Walk into the house with cold glasses on)
B) All tanks, this includes gas, oil, primary, tranny, frame, handlebars(yes!), and engineare vented to atmospheric. (They have air in them.)
C) If you suffer condensation and warm the bike up to dry the external parts, ie, heat up the garage, push it outside, that will solve your visual h2o. There is still h2o in your gas tank, tranny, oil tank and primary.
D)If you run the bike to warm it up, run it long enough to heat all fluids up to evaporate ALL the h2o, primary is usually the last toheat up. If you run it for a short time, instead of evaporating the h2o, you'll mix or blend it together creating a milky slime, not a good thing.
E) To prevent h2o in the gas tank, keep it full, no air, no condensation. I have had bikes come in, won't start or run for sheot, h2o in the gas from storing.
F) Keep the bike in the living room or keep the garage heated if you can $$$$ it.
G) For some of you, this is a once or twice in a winter thing. Not a big deal, get on it and ride it for an hour or so, weather permitting.(We sent that cool snap your way, just to be able to have a new post to occupy our winter duldrums) For others, this can be an every nite phenomena, especially in northern climates during season changes.Can become a big deal. BTW- if you are fortunate to have a heated garage, and push the bike outside to work on the car/truck/etc, and it is cold, thesame thing happens INSIDE the tanks.
If I forgot or missed something, or am f***ed up some where, please jump my poop. I am still learning, too.
And Momma says "N JOY the RIDE"

I'm GUMBYDammit

[IMG]local://upfiles/49714/223271007BA548A39DB0BCD427FD44D5.jpg[/IMG]
I would have never, ever, pictured you as looking like that Gump.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

As long as they are kept cold the moisture will not migrate inside the cases.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:45 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

ORIGINAL: x2lee

A 10 dollar box fan turned on low is a fix all.
The box fan ROCKS!!
The plain truth is cold metal and warm air = condensation.
Unless you have a heated storage area you are going to have it.
My car is stored in my parents house and they are gone for the winter. The garage door NEVER opens and this makes a huge difference.
No outside air comes in and it is completely dry. I was there tonight.
There are storage "bags" you can get and put dessicant inside to help keep moisture under control. PITA but they do work.
Here in Chicago, temp swings were HUGE in the last week -5 to 65 degrees in just a few days. Everything here is muddy and wet.
Snow is gone!!
I have the cover off and a couple of fans going so the bike wont rust.
Nothing else to do. Next winter, the bike goes to the dry garage.
MikeM

Old 01-08-2008, 11:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Over the years I did every thing I could to prevent condensation. It was a loosing fight. Put it in the basement. Put it in the dining room. I vowed someday to have a heated garage. When I retired 5 years ago I built a 1500 square foot garage with R-40 in the roof and R-20 in the walls. A vapor barrier was installed also. No windows. Heated and air conditioned. Bike is at 72 summer and 68 winter.
Oh, the house for my wife is 1,100 sq. ft.