General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:41 PM
socalmoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

Isee this guys on their ST1300 scoping out riders, speciall on week-ends.
WATCH OUT!
Guess where me and my boys wont be going any more.
We will spend not a penny in that area.

Anaheim police have gotten serious about loud bikes.

California - The thundering roar of motorcycles racing up and down Imperial Highway could be reduced to a whisper, thanks to a crackdown by Anaheim police and a little-known federal law.

Motorcyclists with illegally loud exhaust systems began receiving citations on Imperial Highway in Anaheim Hills after weeks of warnings.

Anaheim Police Sgt. Mike Zigmund gave a final notice to about 60 bikers at Keno's restaurant the weekend of July 14.

"We told them that this was the last warning," he said. "They were pretty cooperative."

Armed with a decibel meter, resident Ellie Oliver measured the sound of passing bikers. "The noise was deafening," she said. "I recorded readings of 115 to 135 decibels," – 34 to 54 points above the city's 81-decibel exterior noise limit.

This month, Zigmund and his crew took their own readings and began citing bikers.

"The meter really isn't necessary," he said. "The courts have said that most cops can tell which pipes are legal and which aren't."

Anaheim resident Todd Hamo, a representative of Noise Free America's Orange County chapter, said decibel meter readings "have been called into question in court."

"But," he said," there is an Environmental Protection Agency system that removes all ambiguity when enforcing (illegal exhaust pipe) noise."

Known as the label-matching system, the federal regulation requires manufacturers to place two labels on every motorcycle they make – after it has passed a noise emissions test, at the factory. One label is on the chassis, the other on the muffler. Each contains a code that is unique to the make and model of the bike. By comparing them, officers can determine at a glance whether the vehicle has the appropriate exhaust system.

If it doesn't, or if there is no label, the motorcycle is in violation of Section 4909a(2) of the Noise Control Act of 1972.

Zigmund had been unaware of the EPA regulation, but looked it up on
www.noisefree.org.

"This might explain why some of the bikers have said that dealerships will not put after-market pipes on their bikes anymore," the police officer said. "They have in the past. Just because the dealer installed them, doesn't mean they are legal, though."

Tustin resident Gordon Pearson has a noise problem in his neighborhood, too.

"Our whole society would be so much better," he said, "if we would just enforce the laws we have."

Source: The Orange County Register

Taken from bainbucket.com

Old 01-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Lockman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

Quik! Hide under the bed!!! Here we go again!

Old 01-05-2008, 01:02 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

They can't get us all. LOL! But really, like it's been debated on this form many many times,
it's the few riders (the +150db croud) that ruin it for the whole bunch. Just change your direction/place where you hang.
I do this run every August in Los Angeles called the "Downed Officer Run" and 2 years ago there
were 2 riders that had obnoxious straight pipes, wraping them all over the place. Do you think the 250
police officers standing around had to do anything? Nope, it's was us (bikers/riders) that asked them
to leave the run. We all pitched in and refunded them there entry fee's and they split, albeit, a little
po'ed. Don't get me wrong, I love my V&H Big Shot Pipes, but the pipe noise issue would be better
handled by us Bikers/Riders than the government. Just my 2c..

Old 01-05-2008, 01:12 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

Hey SocalMoe, Did you post this more that one?

Old 01-05-2008, 01:20 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

It's old newshttps://www.hdforums.com/m_1974966/tm.htm If you have a really loud and obnoxious sounding exhaust and like revving it through a residential neighborhood you might get a ticket. 115 to 135 decibels is pretty loud.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Rodent
Road Master

As the saying goes........"If It's Too Loud, You're Too Old". The louder, the better.
If this idiotic law goes into affect in Michigan, will the tin badge carrying boy's in blue be at the Woodward Dream Cruise ticketing all hot rodder cars running open headers and loud exhausts?
What's going to happen to ALL of the LEO clubs that run these loud pipes? Who's going to ticket them?
Let's see.....who else can we ticket for excessive noise? People running snowblowers, chain saws, boom boxes in cars, etc. When does it stop?
The politicians need to get their head out of their azz and start doing things to help the screwed up economy. Passing out a loud noise ticket won't help get our country back on track.
Just my $.02.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:24 PM
eyefrgt
Cruiser

I have V&H Big Shot pipes on my bike and I don't have a clue what the Decibles are. Would someone please explain about how loud 115 to 135 decibles is. I know my bike is pretty loud.I leave for work at 4:30 every morning and none of my neighbors have complained, even when I ask them point blank. I fire my bike up and head out as soon and as quietly as possible. The people who live next door have to get up at 5:00 so he says he uses my bike as part of hes alarm clock. I like the sound of my bike and I don't want to get the quieter baffels but I don't want to pi$$ off all the people in the neighborhood where I have to put the stock pipes back on. Question is are my pipes to loud????

Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Rodent
Road Master

I googled the words DECIBLE LEVELS and came up with a few.

Decible Levels
Here are decibel levels of some common everyday sounds:

Jet engine (at 100 feet): 130

Jackhammer: 120

Rock concert: 100

Truck (at 16 feet): 90

Vacuum cleaner: 75

Noisy restaurant: 70

Normal conversation: 60

Interior of typical urban home: 50

Suburban street without traffic: 40

Whisper: 30

Rustle of leaves: 10

Old 01-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Black Lion
Tourer

How about a really loud fart?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Dinger
Road Master

Why did I click on this thread............................................ ................[sm=icon_blah.gif]

Quick Reply: SOCAL Riders read this!!!!