General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Layoffs at Big Dog Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:35 AM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Layoffs at Big Dog Motorcycles

Layoffs at Big Dog Motorcycles - Blaming a downturn in the economy, Big Dog Motorcycles announced a layoff of 20 employees on Friday.

http://www.brainbucketmag.com/News/a.../sid=2919.html

Old 01-05-2008, 10:04 AM
floydster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Layoffs at Big Dog Motorcycles

Consumer spending down, unemployment up, oil prices going thru the roof, housing market in
the crapper-------we are on the verge of a recession. I think this is the beginning of some hard times.
Floyd

Old 01-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

choppers arent the 'in' thing anymore

Old 01-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Jenkins1849
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes I think we are in for some hard times also if things don't turn around but I also argee that choppers are not that popular anymore as they aere 3 or 4 years ago just like it seemed like everybody used to watch OCC when it first came out but know I don't know hardly anybody that watches it anymore. Just like of friend of mine always says fades come and go but Harley Davidson will always be around!!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:00 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I loved choppers, but I never seem to look at them at a bike meet.
I'm more interested in checking out all of the different Harleys. The customs just look "boring" because they all look alike. Big tires, big forks and all right next to some guy with a case of "little pecker" syndrome who never leaves his bike's side.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

20 out of how many?

Old 01-05-2008, 12:04 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly Wally, 20 out of how many. I'm a Big Dog Dealer and times have been tuff in the mid-west for custom bike sales. I do know that Big Dog Motorcycles is one of the strongest American V-Twin companies next to HD. I'd also agree that this is just the beginning of what were going to see in this economy. I'm thankfull that we have a very strong custom and HD service department and do not count on strictly sales to get us buy.I'm sure when the dust settles, Big Dog Motorcycles will be one of the few still standing.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see hard times for everyone. Including me. I need to pick up another job for Summer of I'm screwed.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-05-2008, 12:27 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdoghd

Exactly Wally, 20 out of how many. I'm a Big Dog Dealer and times have been tuff in the mid-west for custom bike sales. I do know that Big Dog Motorcycles is one of the strongest American V-Twin companies next to HD. I'd also agree that this is just the beginning of what were going to see in this economy. I'm thankfull that we have a very strong custom and HD service department and do not count on strictly sales to get us buy.I'm sure when the dust settles, Big Dog Motorcycles will be one of the few still standing.
I hope you can read the writing on the wall here.
It's not like the BD line will instantly vanish, but I believe it's not going to generate any profit, and maybe be in the red for the next couple of years.
Are you prepared for this?

This is not necessarily a bad thing. The custom market had a zillion players, that an economic downturn will seperate the men from the boys which well benefit the survivors. The BIG question is whether or not the BD dealer network will remain intact or not. If not, it will be the end of Big Dog.

I also believe that BD will not only have to lower the price, but come to market with better stuff to sell. Their competition will not be other custome, rather Harley Davidson itself.
JMO.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Lockman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the first time. Big Dog had a layoff last year due to sale drops. Not just a Big Dog thig. Harley Stocks dropped again this week. I have an inside tip that life will go on.

Quick Reply: Layoffs at Big Dog Motorcycles