General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Layoffs at Big Dog Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008 | 02:32 PM
kgjl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-05-2008 | 02:53 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know things in my neck of the woods is getting pretty ugly.. They just announced a few months ago they were shutting the General Motors plant here.. Which takes with it Lear seating, and LSI transportation along with several smaller companies. The rail road and over the road transport company as well.. They shut the door on Gilman engineering which was a large Machinery mfg plant here. Housing values have already begin to take huge drops.. I lost 60k in equity in my house already and figure it won’t take but another year before it’s worth half what I owe on it.. Lots of toys up for sale around here and nobody with any money to buy em.. Price of health care in this area is still 3rd highest in the nation.. Some of the larger food processing plant in the area have as well cut there work force half.. Don’t see it getting any better for years to come..

Old 09-05-2008 | 02:58 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdoghd
Exactly Wally, 20 out of how many. I'm a Big Dog Dealer and times have been tuff in the mid-west for custom bike sales. I do know that Big Dog Motorcycles is one of the strongest American V-Twin companies next to HD. I'd also agree that this is just the beginning of what were going to see in this economy. I'm thankfull that we have a very strong custom and HD service department and do not count on strictly sales to get us buy.I'm sure when the dust settles, Big Dog Motorcycles will be one of the few still standing.
Which store's yours? Hollywood custom? I was surprised riding up Rand a few months back to see Ross out of biz. The Triumph people would like me to get a store together in the area, but I can't get quite the enthusiasm as the Vespa/Piaggio/Guzzi plan from the potential investors. I was going to have a chat with him about the britbikes.