General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registration problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:25 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Registration problems

I was wondering About purchasing a custom hd a chopper with a 84 sportster motor. The bill of sale says a 84 but the frame has a plate with a hd vin on it. A plate was welded to the frame with the vin on it will I havea problem reg. the bike, in NJ Thanks. I know usually it is ingraved in the frame.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:17 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default RE: Registration problems

ORIGINAL: 98glider

I was wondering About purchasing a custom hd a chopper with a 84 sportster motor. The bill of sale says a 84 but the frame has a plate with a hd vin on it. A plate was welded to the frame with the vin on it will I havea problem reg. the bike, in NJ Thanks. I know usually it is ingraved in the frame.
Who built the bike?

Where did the VIN plate come from? Is it a "home-made" plate with numbers stamped in it?

Is the frame an aftermarket frame? If so, it should come with an MSO. If it's a "home-built, then it will probably need bills-of-sale for all the components used in the construction of the frame.

Why didn't the builder title it?

I can't give much in the way of specific advice because more info is needed. But I can offer a caveat that even if you manage to get it titled/registered with a welded on VIN plate, you might get an ugly surprise the first time a small town (or big city, or highway patrol, or ...) cop stops you. It would be a big red flag in most places, screaming out, "I'M STOLEN!"

Each state has its own regs & customs fortitling a custom bike/car. You need to contact the DMV and find out what the procedures are.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You say the "Bill of sale" says '84? Looks to me like you're past the point where these questions should have been asked.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Lumpy63
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 98glider

Sounds like a mess to me. Avoid it.

If the frame is an aftermarket, there should be an aftermarket vin, or a reconstructed vin, NOT Harley numbers stamped in a plate and welded to the frame.

There could be a simple solution to the issue, but taken at face value, I'd avoid it if I were you.

I had a friend go through a similar situation where the frame was legitimate, but the engine had been "restamped" and the cop who stopped him was savey enough to know that a 77 Sportster doesn't shift on the right, and brake on the left, and that the factory Harley vin has an "Open star" at the beginning and ending of their vin.

The bike was towed and impounded for 2 weeks until things were cleared up, and he had to pay the tow and storage to get his bike back.

If it can't be cleared up, you could end up with losing the bike you paid for, (Civil litigation to get your money back) and possibly a criminal charge for buying a stolen vehicle.

Walk away.........[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 01-05-2008, 04:25 PM
98glider
Road Warrior

I don't know who built the bike but he has a title for the bike it is a hardtail custom bike. Now I did not see the vin on the motor. Somebody got a piece of flat stock and punched down a vin # and welded it to the frame by the neck. The bike did not go through inspection because of no blinkers and horn.I just don't want know problems with the bike if I ever get pulled over. I know when I took my 98 glide through inspection they looked at the vin # that is stamped on the frame now this bike has flat stock welded to the frame and vin # stamped to that . Should I let it go?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:29 PM
98glider
Road Warrior

The bill of sale does say 84 sportster

Old 01-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Lumpy63
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VIN on the sportster motor will be on the right side, I believe, under the lifter blocks, above the side (points) cover.

Found this:

XL Models: Left Case - Inside, Primary Compartment
Right Case - Outside, Near Oil Pump

Again: There will be a hollow star in the beginning and at the endof the number.

Because most states use the frame number as the actualVIN, the previous owner *should have* (In my opinion) applied for a reconstructed title, because the frame wasreplaced with something other thana stock, vin stamped frame. I don't believe stamping your own numbers in is acceptable. A "Reconstructed" vin number is provided with a metal plate that you attach.

When I bought my bike from NJ, I had to title it in PA, and sendeither a "rub" or picture of the FRAME vin to PA, to prove the VIN. The engine can be replaced, but the frame is the most important.

This link may help you:

http://www.uni-trade-int.dk/html/vinid.htm#location

Old 01-05-2008, 05:09 PM
98glider
Road Warrior

The vin # did not have the star first on flat stock What i am thinking is the motor is the org. and the frame is after market and he just put the vin # on the new frame. if he has to get a new vin # then the bike is considered custom and that opens a new problem.