General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding after the roads are salted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:05 PM
yomomma22
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding after the roads are salted?

Hey all, I am new to riding about 5-6 months ago. I live in Kansas City, Mo. We have seen some good ice/snow storms come thru and all the roads are salted. I have been riding my sporty when ever the roads are dry. Most of my riding was on main roads and had no problems. I did get on a back road that was covered all but the tire tracks and that was a little nerv racking.

I guess my question is do most of you ride after salt flies? Any pointers would be good also. I plan to ride tonight to work. 40 going in and 27-29 coming home. Just want to make sure I know all I can when dealing with the hassards of winter roads.

Thanks, Kyle

Old 01-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Riding after the roads are salted?

If you can't wash ALL of the salt off at the end of the day then don't ride is what I go by. That stuff is hard on the bike. The longer it sits the more damage it does.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM
HD Attitude
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea. Here's a pointer. HERE'S YOU'RE SIGN !
WARNING ! When ICE is on the road. STAY THE FU*K OFF !

Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
yomomma22
Road Captain

Man she is a higher milage 95 1200 that I bought to ride as much as possible. I have 2 kids 1 and 2 years old and when I can ride that is what I do since I got the bike. I love this thing. But I also want to be as safe as I can be due to those same kids I have to come home and play with. If she rusts out then I will either fix it or get something else. Just looking for some pointers on what to expect. Just been taking it a little slower and figured that is a good start for staying up right.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually wait till there has been a good rain to wash the salt away. A few years ago I almost put my bike down because the front tire lost traction on the salt itself. fortunately that was on my honda GL1000 and the bike weighed 300 lbs lighter than my classic so it was easier to pull out of it. Since then I wait till salt is washed off.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Bodyshot1
Road Captain

not a good idea...it'll do damage that you probably won't notice for awhile.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Onve the salt flies I cover my bike. Even when the roads seem clean you can still hit the piles of salt that have accumulated on the roads and sometimes they are very hard to see, just not worth the risk let alone how hard that stuff is on your ride.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Salt will kill your bike and the black ice at freezing temps could do the same to you.Park it.A wise motorcyclist is a safe rider

Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 PM
yomomma22
Road Captain

Wow I figured there would be several that rode when ever they could. I will for sure take all this in to consideration but man it is hard to leave her sitting in the garage that long. A buddy from work and I rode for about 3 hours befor work a few weeks ago and had a blast. Just stuck to the main roads and cruised along. I don't want to trash my bike or myself though. [:@]I HATE WINTER!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

After bouncing my Jeep off a bridge 3 times last year due to black ice I wait until it's at least 40 to get the bike out. And as stated if you can't completly wash it after the ride I dont' ride it.

Quick Reply: Riding after the roads are salted?