General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding after the roads are salted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts
Default RE: Riding after the roads are salted?

I quit riding on salted roads many many years ago when I owneda pre-unit Triumph Bonneville. The salt corroded many of the wiring connectors, f___ingup the already unreliableLucas electrics.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM
yomomma22
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for those with helpful feedback. Alot of us in the KC area.. Do we ever have any forum group rides around here?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:49 PM
hnesitd1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Keystone

If you can't wash ALL of the salt off at the end of the day then don't ride is what I go by. That stuff is hard on the bike. The longer it sits the more damage it does.
Yeah ............... I 'd agree with that big time. In certain areas of Canada salt is the first line of defense when it comes to thawing ice ............. I know I don't have to tell you that it does tremendous damage to vehicles. I'd also add that some car washes re-cycle the water they use so a person could be making things worse. Around here, after the first snow(?) ........... my bike becomes a nostalgic memory until the spring.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GTK

Salt will kill your bike and the black ice at freezing temps could do the same to you.Park it.A wise motorcyclist is a safe rider
Ditto that. It's not worth it. Corrosive salt gets into everything.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:58 PM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't how your roads look like in the winter, but I don't even want to drive a car here (PA). Salt, car swallowing pot holes, etc.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Additionally cars are not even considering amotorcycle on the road this time of year here N IL so even after the couple of days of rain that they are planning this weekend the bike will still bein the garage. Also no garantee that theroads and parking lots are plowed. I just traveled toFort Snelling in Minneapolis. The roads on the base are caked with ice and snow (typicallfacilitythey wont salt just through sand on the snow)[:@]

Old 01-04-2008, 05:25 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Bottom Line,

Listen to all the opinions you want, but in the end it's your bike, and your decision as to when you want to ride....

Also, from time to time I'm up in the KC area to attend various meetings...

Maybe one of these days when I have some free time we can meet up and do a little 'cruising'...

Old 01-04-2008, 05:32 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I like in KC too. I want to ride this weekend but I think with all the snow melting it's gonna be a sloppy mess. No thank you, I have already winterized it and I'm just gonna leave it sit. As hard as it is to do. It's hard to not ride the first couple of weeks after putting the bike away, but you get over it. The winter will go by faster if you don't think about it.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:40 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Columbia MO and riding this weekend, snow is all melted, yeah the black gunk and salt are still around but in the mid 60's, Wife and I riding, will spray off as soon as it's parked in the driveway. We will mostly stay off the inner city roads and hit the back roads where they don't really do anything to the roads.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Minnesota weighing in. We go thru salt up here like a drunken sailor in a strip joint goes thru $ bills. After they have laid down salt for that first snow, Oct or Nov, you won't see my bike on the road til the rain washes it off. Look at the underside of a car from Mn sometime. Once the salt is put down, the cars/trucks grind it into a powder finer than frog's hair. When you ride on the dry road, that powder gets airborn, and it will get into every crack, crevice and connection on your Sporty. A bagger is worse. I have seen some really nice iron turned to chit because of salt, the guy just couldn't wait. Corrosion aside, cold surface with crystals/powder on it, dangerous/deadly combo. I have 2 boys, one is 26, other turned 23 TODAY. I want to live to ride with them next summer. But if you want to hear it, let me quote, "no dear, those pantsdon't make your a$$ look fat" Just .02 from an ol' fart. You are a young man, LOT OF RIDING IN FRONT OF YOU, ride with your head, not your heart, and you'll still be riding when you're an ol' geezr.

Quick Reply: Riding after the roads are salted?