General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Salesman questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:26 PM
daconiam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Salesman questions...

Curious about HD sales, most of the sales folks I have ever talked to seemed pretty mellow and likable so I was wondering if there was some folks out here that know about HD sales:

1. How much canyou make (average salary)?

2. What kind of hours do you work in a week? Are all Texas dealers closed on Sunday?

3. Is it a high pressure sales job like cars salesor a laid back relaxing kinda mellow kinda job?

4. Do you get much of a discount on buying a new bike?

5. Any kind of company benefits (medical/401K/etc...)

6. Do you get a free T-Shirt every week?

7. Is it different (all the above questions)at each dealership and HD MoCo has nothing to do with it?

Thanks.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 PM
57springer57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HD Salesman questions...

this should be interesting[sm=popcorn.gif][sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 01-01-2008, 06:00 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been seeing a shift over the past few years from mellow and laid back. The nut a dealer has to pay for these gargantuan mausoleums that the MoCo makes them build puts a lot of pressure on all. It always trickles down.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know the answers as well.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:34 PM
HDTide
Tourer

ORIGINAL: daconiam

Curious about HD sales, most of the sales folks I have ever talked to seemed pretty mellow and likable so I was wondering if there was some folks out here that know about HD sales:

2. What kind of hours do you work in a week? Are all Texas dealers closed on Sunday?

3. Is it a high pressure sales job like cars salesor a laid back relaxing kinda mellow kinda job?

7. Is it different (all the above questions)at each dealership and HD MoCo has nothing to do with it?

Thanks.
I'm not a Harley salesman, I'm a car salesman. I guess that make me a high pressure salesman by default. Anyway, I suspect the Texas "blue law" pertains to motorcycle dealers the same way it does to car dealerships, the dealership has to be closed on either Saturday or Sunday. Most dealerships choose to close on Sunday. As far as how much money a salesman can earn, usually that's up to the person. The more you put into it, the more you will get out.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Woodlands is open from 12-4 on sunday.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:11 PM
hnesitd1
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks.
Great bunch at Privateer's HD (Halifax) .................I've always wondered how they keep competent wrenches over the winter though .........

Old 01-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some dealerships are open on Sunday to sell trinkets and tshirts, but you can't buy a bike.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:35 PM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take a guess and say that as HD loses more and more market share and the fad that single-handedly supports the clothing and accessories line wanes, the unit salespeople will have to become more aggressive to move an increasinglystagnant product line. I think the day where walk-insask the HD salesperson, "what does this bike offer that Honda, etc. don't?" is at hand. Theera where the answer, "it's a Harley" was sufficientis over. Ray

Old 01-01-2008, 08:55 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,230 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I am not a salesman, but I work part time in the parts dept. I will try and answer based on what I know about our sales staff.

1. How much canyou make (average salary)? Depends on the geographical area and how well your dealership is liked

2. What kind of hours do you work in a week? Are all Texas dealers closed on Sunday? 40 hours, summertime is a biotch cuz they don't like you vacationing and would rather you vacation in the downtime. Our dealership is open Sundays 10-3. Closed Monday (the only day they are closed.)

3. Is it a high pressure sales job like cars salesor a laid back relaxing kinda mellow kinda job? Kinda mellow, real fun. Little different than cars because you talk about how they want the bike set up (pipes, A/C, engine size, etc) and then work with the parts guys to put together a package deal, then chrome consultant, etc.

4. Do you get much of a discount on buying a new bike? Yes, pretty good deal

5. Any kind of company benefits (medical/401K/etc...) Yes, medical/dental/401K

6. Do you get a free T-Shirt every week? Ummm, NO!

7. Is it different (all the above questions)at each dealership and HD MoCo has nothing to do with it? It may be different at each dealer, but you would be surprised at just how much influence the MOCO does have. They tell the owners pretty much what they have to do.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: HD Salesman questions...