General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Protest Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Protest Ride

Insurance Companies have more money than you do.
The politicians listen to money.
Until you collectively shine a light in their face.

Then they pretend they were behind you the whole time.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 AM
JimmyAGR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: HD Attitude

Look guy's. I read all you're post. Use you're noodle. Let's look at the primary reason why any law has to be implemented. No one is trying to control us, but I find it fascinating that some think our government IS trying to control everyone. Or should I just say biker in general. Why does a law reach our government anyway ? There's a problem. What's the problem ? TO MANY BIKERS ARE DYING. Now that we've got the primary reason for helmet laws in the first place, let's discuss what all you FREE BIKERS did to stop a helmet law in the first place. Let's see, did you educate motorcyclist and let them know their not invincible ? That the human skull will crack upon impact very easily ? That you aren't superman . Some how some way , all the supreme intelligent biker community became so defiant till government had to step in and go- NO NO NO NOW, YOU MUST PROTECT YOURSELF FROM YOURSELF. WEAR A HELMET.
JESUS, I can't freakin believe im even having this conversation. I doubt I could find a one of you that I could talk into running at full speed and crashing head first into a brick wall. You would look at me and tell me im freakin crazy. But you will get on your motorcycle and go 20 times as fast with no helmet. THE REASON BIG BROTHER HAS TO STEP IN AND MAKE HELMET LAWS IS BECAUSE WE WONT ADHERE TO OUR OWN REASONING AND GOOD JUDGEMENT. Good God this is not rocket science.
Look, you say you have the right to do as you please. No helmet, no rules, no seatbelt laws, and im sure the list will go on and on. What you don't have the right to do is leave families fatherless. Cost insurance companies twice as much. You don't have the right to get drunk or speed and kill another driver. You so called freedoms cost everyone else. You don't have the right to do that.
So HD Attitude by your reasoning the government should have banned tobacco years ago. Cancer heart disease, etc cost us lots more than a few brain dead bikers. But that won't happen because of the revenue. The law isn't designed to protect us, do you thinkthe politicians really care one way or another?

Jimmy

Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

ORIGINAL: JimmyAGR

Look guy's. I read all you're post. Use you're noodle. Let's look at the primary reason why any law has to be implemented. No one is trying to control us, but I find it fascinating that some think our government IS trying to control everyone. Or should I just say biker in general. Why does a law reach our government anyway ? There's a problem. What's the problem ? TO MANY BIKERS ARE DYING. Now that we've got the primary reason for helmet laws in the first place, let's discuss what all you FREE BIKERS did to stop a helmet law in the first place. Let's see, did you educate motorcyclist and let them know their not invincible ? That the human skull will crack upon impact very easily ? That you aren't superman . Some how some way , all the supreme intelligent biker community became so defiant till government had to step in and go- NO NO NO NOW, YOU MUST PROTECT YOURSELF FROM YOURSELF. WEAR A HELMET.
JESUS, I can't freakin believe im even having this conversation. I doubt I could find a one of you that I could talk into running at full speed and crashing head first into a brick wall. You would look at me and tell me im freakin crazy. But you will get on your motorcycle and go 20 times as fast with no helmet. THE REASON BIG BROTHER HAS TO STEP IN AND MAKE HELMET LAWS IS BECAUSE WE WONT ADHERE TO OUR OWN REASONING AND GOOD JUDGEMENT. Good God this is not rocket science.
Look, you say you have the right to do as you please. No helmet, no rules, no seatbelt laws, and im sure the list will go on and on. What you don't have the right to do is leave families fatherless. Cost insurance companies twice as much. You don't have the right to get drunk or speed and kill another driver. You so called freedoms cost everyone else. You don't have the right to do that.
So HD Attitude by your reasoning the government should have banned tobacco years ago. Cancer heart disease, etc cost us lots more than a few brain dead bikers. But that won't happen because of the revenue. The law isn't designed to protect us, do you thinkthe politicians really care one way or another?

Jimmy
So by your reasoning should the government let kids buy tobacco? It's all about choice right? Let the kids smoke it's a sign of freedom.
Use your noodle man...some laws are good laws. Tobacco laws anyway.... but aren't we talking about helmets?

You see how easy it is to stretch what someone is saying into something else? Redhearings and slippery-slopes..if you do this- it equals that. If you allow that - it means this...surprize we're now communist! whatever...
The whole argument that if helmet laws are passed we all loose some big timefreedom and it will now mean they will pass law (x) and then law (y) and so on and so forth until we have no freedom left. It's all BS.

Focus...do we want a helmet law to save bikers lives? One question, one answer. I vote yes...

lp

Old 01-03-2008, 12:04 PM
DMSC
Road Master

LETS GO OVER THIS "ONE MORE TIME". WHY ARE THEY HAVING TO MAKE HELMET LAWS IN THE FIRST PLACE ?????????
Now you stop that and we will have total freedom. Otherwise shut the hell up.
That's a really GOOD question. Why “helmet laws”, when there a LOT more people being MURDERED by drunk drivers every day of the week? Take the total number of MC riders killed. Subtract the ones that ARE wearing a helmet when they died. You didn't forget that wearing a helmet doesn't guarantee your survival, did you?
Now, compare that number to the number of people who were killed my drunk drivers. Pretty BIG difference…shouldn’t we pass harsher DUI laws first? Oh, I guess you'd be asking folks back in the 1930's why they supported the repeal of prohibition. Why don't we pass a modern prohibition? Sure, our government has an obligation to pass laws that protect our citizens from as much harm as possible. But, it must respect our rights as individuals. Our government must not go beyond the limits established by out constitution. When passing a law punishes us for crimes we did not/could not commit against another, it does nothing but infringe upon our individual rights.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:10 PM
RJM2096
Cruiser

Im astonished anyone would even fight a helmet law. Where's your head at ? Not in a helmet for sure. You don't ware a helmet. You bust your head. It cost the insurance a bundle. You loose everything because your brain dead from not wearing a helmet. Your family suffers. The insurance companies has to raise our rates to cover Geniuses who think they shouldn't ware helmets.
Then the rest of us wants stiffer penalties on people who hit bikers but can't get laws passed because we're to busy fighting helmet laws and getting ran over. Wake the Fu*k up people. I personally called a congressman and talked to Him. He told me they looked over the traffic fatality reports for Florida and America and came up with 65% or all motorcycle accidents were caused by rider error . HELLO ! So lets see. Drunk, no helmet, running over the speed limit AT NIGHT and we want to fight for no helmet laws ? We look stupid as hell. Un real.
Good points, butif given a choice the insurance companies would rather have us and our passengers dead than long term disabled.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:11 PM
HD Attitude
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You and I and almost everyone on this planet knows that everything is controlled by MONEY. Sure the biggest push for Seatbelt and helmet laws come from the insurance companies. That's a no brainier. But how could we of stopped them from making the law in the first place ? Somewhere in this equation, someone has to stop and use common sense about this argument . Us not wearing helmets cost insurance companies billions each year. Not wearing seat belts cost billions. Do we have the right to inflict that on the insurance companies ? Sure they need to make money , JUST LIKE US. Our arguments sounds stupid. You wonder why people don't give a sh*t about bikers ? Look at the accident reports . Biker drunk. Biker on drugs. Biker speeding. Biker driving reckless. Bikers popping wheelies at 80 mph. Bikers going 150mph on the highways. Bikers killing each other. Biker gangs. And now, Bikers thinking it's cool to wear flip flops and no helmet. We look like a bunch of retards to the rest of the world. There's always three viewpoints to any situation. You've got to look at all three to be objective in this situation.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:15 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: lp

The whole argument that if helmet laws are passed we all loose some big timefreedom and it will now mean they will pass law (x) and then law (y) and so on and so forth until we have no freedom left. It's all BS.
Some folks are easily swayed by fear propaganda. Lots here are afraid of some communist revolt or conspiracy.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:28 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Well we all know why threads like this die. One individual seezes the opportunity to take to the pulpit in a misguidedattempt to convince all the free thinking people that they should fall in lock step withhis opinion. Until that is, everyone gets disgusted and leaves.

HD Attitude, you've expressed your opinions. Not much point in continuing to beat a dead horse.

Thank God for freedom and our right of Choice, at least what's left of it.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
HD Attitude
Banned

This is for Florida Alcohol related fatalities -------1,239
Alcohol related injuries--------17,785
Alcohol related crashes--------23,864

Drug related crashes------------1,176

Motorcyclist killed--------------441
Motorcyclist injured-----------7,282
Motorcycle crashes------------8,147

Total

Traffic crashes------------286,605
Death rate (per 100million VMT )-- 1.76

FLORIDA'S MOTORCYCLE HELMET LAW REPEAL
On July 1, 2000, Florida repealed the legal requirement that all
motorcyclists wear protective helmets. State law now requires
helmet use only by riders under the age of 21, and by older riders who
do not have a minimum of $10,000 medical insurance coverage.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
contracted with Preusser Research Group to evaluate the effects of
the motorcycle helmet law repeal in Florida.
Helmet Use–Observational Surveys
Virtually all observed riders were wearing helmets in a 1998
Florida helmet use observation survey. Only 65 percent of the
observed sample, however, wore compliant helmets (helmets that
meet the requirements for Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No.
218) while 35 percent were wearing noncompliant helmets (headgear
that does not meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 218).
These weighted figures compare to 84 percent approved helmets and
15 percent noncompliant helmets observed in a 1993 survey
suggesting that noncompliant helmet use was increasing over time.
A2002 post-law change survey found 47 percent compliant helmet
use, 6 percent noncompliant helmet use and 47 percent no helmet use.
These results indicate that use of compliant helmets has declined
significantly following the law change while wearing noncompliant
helmets has largely been abandoned.
Helmet Use–Crash Reports
Among the 515 motorcyclists killed in traffic crashes in the 3 years
before the helmet law change (1997-1999), 9 percent were recorded
in the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) as not wearing a
helmet. In the 3 years following the law change (2001-2003), 61
percent of the 933 fatally injured motorcyclists were reported as not
wearing a helmet. In 1997-1999, there were 35 motorcyclists under
the age of 21 killed in Florida. Of these, 26 percent were not
helmeted. In 2001-2003, 101 motorcyclists under age 21 were killed
(+ 188 percent) with 45 percent of them not wearing a helmet.
Motorcyclist Fatalities1
There has been a substantial increase in motorcyclists killed in
Florida beginning in the first 6 months of 2000 (the repeal of the allrider
helmet law went into effect on July 1, 2000). Fatalities in the
two years following the law change (2001-2002, N=575) were 71
percent greater than the two years before the law change. This is
almost double the increase in fatalities for the nation as a whole.
Fatalities in Florida per 10,000 registered motorcycles increased 21
percent compared to 13 percent nationally for the 2 years before and
after the law change–75 percent higher than the national rate.
There was an average of 181 motorcyclists killed annually in the
30 months before the law change, and an average of 280 in the 30
months after the law change. Registrations increased an average 33.7
perce

Old 01-03-2008, 12:43 PM
HD Attitude
Banned

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Well we all know why threads like this die. One individual seezes the opportunity to take to the pulpit in a misguidedattempt to convince all the free thinking people that they should fall in lock step withhis opinion. Until that is, everyone gets disgusted and leaves.

HD Attitude, you've expressed your opinions. Not much point in continuing to beat a dead horse.

Thank God for freedom and our right of Choice, at least what's left of it.
Your right. My argument is, we need PIP on motorcycles. We're not going to get it the way were going. We also need new laws protecting motorcyclist. Can't get it the way were going. Like it or not, we live in a new world. Freedom is becoming nothing more than a word, but America is still the best. this is what happens when you have a copmmunity of people together. things change. It's an inevitability.

Quick Reply: Helmet Protest Ride