General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Protest Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Asmodeus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Protest Ride

ORIGINAL: billnourse

...snip... If I drive drunk I hurt someone else. ...snip...
Just a small aside...

DUI laws don't care if you hurt someone else. They don't care if you are driving the speed limit. They don't care if you are drive absolutely perfect. You get pulled over at a checkpoint and your BAC is measurable, you can be busted for DWI or DUI whichever they can press. In D.C. it's as low as .03 and you can get busted, regardless of how you were driving. You are being arrested and prosecuted for a law that wants to prevent you from doing something, instead of being punished for doing something. All in the name of 'public safety'?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:14 AM
miketami
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: HD Attitude

Im astonished anyone would even fight a helmet law. Where's your head at ? Not in a helmet for sure. You don't ware a helmet (ride a motorcycle). You bust your head. It cost the insurance a bundle. You loose everything because your brain dead from (riding a motorcycle nstead of driving a car) not wearing a helmet. Your family suffers. The insurance companies has to raise our rates to cover Geniuses who think they shouldn't ware helmets (ride a motorcycle instead of driving a car).
Then the rest of us wants stiffer penalties on people who hit bikers but can't get laws passed because we're to busy fighting helmet laws and getting ran over. Wake the Fu*k up people. I personally called a congressman and talked to Him. He told me they looked over the traffic fatality reports for Florida and America and came up with 65% or all motorcycle accidents were caused by rider error . HELLO ! So lets see. Drunk, no helmet, running over the speed limit AT NIGHT and we want to fight for no helmet laws ? We look stupid as hell. (just drive your car and be safe) Un real.
every argument I have ever seen for a helmet law scares the crap out of me. Just replace the word helmet with the word motorcycle and you have a strong argument for laws against motorcycles. Get a grip. Motorcycles are dangerouse. Will a helmet help? yep! will full fingers glove help? Will a cevlar suit help? yep will four wheels instead of two help? yep will four doors and a hard top help? yep You want the freedom to ride, but use the same argument that people are using to take your bike away. So tell me who looks stupid here?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have come back to this thread several times. I wanted to post, and even typed stuff up.. hit the cancel button several times, because I knew I'd be banned. HD ATTITUDE, all I can say (that won't get me banned) isthat I'm glad I will never have to ride with you or even meet you. Maybe you should consider trading your bike (if you evenhave one) for a Hummer.... or M1A1. Just don't forget your helmet with that.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 AM
jbhoyle
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: miketami

ORIGINAL: HD Attitude

Im astonished anyone would even fight a helmet law. Where's your head at ? Not in a helmet for sure. You don't ware a helmet (ride a motorcycle). You bust your head. It cost the insurance a bundle. You loose everything because your brain dead from (riding a motorcycle nstead of driving a car) not wearing a helmet. Your family suffers. The insurance companies has to raise our rates to cover Geniuses who think they shouldn't ware helmets (ride a motorcycle instead of driving a car).
Then the rest of us wants stiffer penalties on people who hit bikers but can't get laws passed because we're to busy fighting helmet laws and getting ran over. Wake the Fu*k up people. I personally called a congressman and talked to Him. He told me they looked over the traffic fatality reports for Florida and America and came up with 65% or all motorcycle accidents were caused by rider error . HELLO ! So lets see. Drunk, no helmet, running over the speed limit AT NIGHT and we want to fight for no helmet laws ? We look stupid as hell. (just drive your car and be safe) Un real.
every argument I have ever seen for a helmet law scares the crap out of me. Just replace the word helmet with the word motorcycle and you have a strong argument for laws against motorcycles. Get a grip. Motorcycles are dangerouse. Will a helmet help? yep! will full fingers glove help? Will a cevlar suit help? yep will four wheels instead of two help? yep will four doors and a hard top help? yep You want the freedom to ride, but use the same argument that people are using to take your bike away. So tell me who looks stupid here?
AMEN. That is the point exactly. If there is not a stopping point, will the day come when you RIDE IN A VEHICLE THAT IS DRIVEN BY A GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE SAFE. And not allowed to ride a bicycle, play golf(because of lightening), or go boating, sking, fishing etc. Everything we do has its ownrisks in some way. We want the freedom to way the dangers and take whatever risk we feel comfortable with. AS LONG AS IT DOESN"T INVOLVE SOMEONE ELSE"S RIGHTS NOT TO DO THE SAME. That is what choice is about. HD Attitude--What will you do when they tell you that you can't even own a bike because they are dangerous?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: miketami

ORIGINAL:
I think you're right. Didn't they outlaw the 3 wheel ATVby declaring it was an unsafe design?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 AM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's refreshing to see saner opinions here from people who see the big picture. The more basic rights you choose to give up, the more they'll want to take away. Rider's ed strongly advocates use of a snell-approved full-face helmet, listening to somebody who actually cares about your safety instead of bureaucrats who just want to control anything they can.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 AM
JimmyAGR
Advanced

The scary part is there are millions of drones who believe everything that HD Attitude said in his post. We need protection from all the bullsh!t laws, not new laws with more bullsh!t.

Jimmy

Old 01-03-2008, 10:56 AM
HD Attitude
Banned

Look guy's. I read all you're post. Use you're noodle. Let's look at the primary reason why any law has to be implemented. No one is trying to control us, but I find it fascinating that some think our government IS trying to control everyone. Or should I just say biker in general. Why does a law reach our government anyway ? There's a problem. What's the problem ? TO MANY BIKERS ARE DYING. Now that we've got the primary reason for helmet laws in the first place, let's discuss what all you FREE BIKERS did to stop a helmet law in the first place. Let's see, did you educate motorcyclist and let them know their not invincible ? That the human skull will crack upon impact very easily ? That you aren't superman . Some how some way , all the supreme intelligent biker community became so defiant till government had to step in and go- NO NO NO NOW, YOU MUST PROTECT YOURSELF FROM YOURSELF. WEAR A HELMET.
JESUS, I can't freakin believe im even having this conversation. I doubt I could find a one of you that I could talk into running at full speed and crashing head first into a brick wall. You would look at me and tell me im freakin crazy. But you will get on your motorcycle and go 20 times as fast with no helmet. THE REASON BIG BROTHER HAS TO STEP IN AND MAKE HELMET LAWS IS BECAUSE WE WONT ADHERE TO OUR OWN REASONING AND GOOD JUDGEMENT. Good God this is not rocket science.
Look, you say you have the right to do as you please. No helmet, no rules, no seatbelt laws, and im sure the list will go on and on. What you don't have the right to do is leave families fatherless. Cost insurance companies twice as much. You don't have the right to get drunk or speed and kill another driver. You so called freedoms cost everyone else. You don't have the right to do that.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I seem to remmeber someone saying that those who give up freedom for security deserve neither. I think this is much the same thing. If we give up the freedom to ride without a lid, even though I don't, then we don't deserve to gripe when they restrict us further. BTW, it was a founding father I quoted above

Ride safe and free

Bubba

Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 AM
HD Attitude
Banned

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

I seem to remmeber someone saying that those who give up freedom for security deserve neither. I think this is much the same thing. If we give up the freedom to ride without a lid, even though I don't, then we don't deserve to gripe when they restrict us further. BTW, it was a founding father I quoted above

Ride safe and free

Bubba
LETS GO OVER THIS "ONE MORE TIME". WHY ARE THEY HAVING TO MAKE HELMET LAWS IN THE FIRST PLACE ?????????
Now you stop that and we will have total freedom. Otherwise shut the hell up.

Quick Reply: Helmet Protest Ride