General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Protest Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:37 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Protest Ride

While you and most others won't resort, There are others who will. That's the point. It's all interpretation and if you get in front of a judge who doesn't care (as in my case) pay the fine and shut up. I did everything to protest after the "not guilty" then WTF am I paying $70 for? Shut up and pay if you want your license back! It's all about money, not "protecting the children" or "protecting your health" it's protecting their job because working for a living is less desirable! I don't put it solely on the LEO's, but you have to get there in the first place......... The last time I was in that miserable courtroom, I had to pull out obituary copies of my mother to prove I had to be somewhere else that day. And still caught sh!!t for it!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:54 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

Riding to a courthouse on a holiday to make a protest demonstration makes no sense to me. I figure if you are gonna put on a show, you at least need an audience to see it.
Back when we in WI. were doing the Helmet Law protest rides one of the main thing that made them work were rider number's and publicity, you need both. This is from the State paper . The numbers quoted as to the amount of bikes was considered to be extremely low.

30,000 Protest Law On Helmets
Wisconsin State Journal :: Front :: 1A
Monday, July 8, 1991
By Kim Schneider Wisconsin State Journal
Gusting winds toppled more than a dozen motorcycles as thousands of demonstrators sprinted for shelter inside the Capitol on Sunday afternoon.
But it wasn't the dangerous winds or rain motorcyclists most need to fear, a speaker told a crowd estimated at 30,000 as skies finally cleared over Madison.Bikers continually challenge the elements and ride the wind, said Rep. David Zien, R-Eau Claire. ``Our worst enemies are not Mother Nature. They are the cage (car) drivers and especially the cage drivers who make laws,' shouted Zien, who rides a Harley Davidson trailed by a full-sized American flag.
Zien was among the estimated 15,000 motorcycle drivers parading in a deafening procession around the Capitol Square about 2 p.m.
Bikers came from across the Midwest in hopes of sending a simple message tothe federal government: Leave us alone.

Sporting black T-shirts or leather vests, tattoos and miniature American flags, they gathered in opposition to pending federal legislation that would cut off federal transportation funds to states without mandatory helmet laws.
Wisconsin's mandatory helmet law was repealed in the late 1970s following asimilar Capitol Square rally of some 20,000 motorcycle riders. On Sunday, onlya handful of motorcycle riders wore helmets.
Zien told the crowd he believes helmets are dangerous because they restrictvision and hearing, add fatigue and give riders a false sense of security.
Symbols of patriotism were everywhere, from the MIA-POW flags that flew on the back of many motorcycles to the thousands of spectators who joined hands, thrust them in the air and sang ``America the Beautiful.'
Organizer Tony Sanfelipo, who wore a T-shirt with a transcript of the Declaration of Independence on the front, held up bags containing thousands ofletters that will be sent to Washington. Organizers also collected 10,000 signatures on petitions circulated during the rally.
[/align]

Old 01-02-2008, 11:01 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default xx

xx

Old 01-03-2008, 07:06 AM
jbhoyle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: xx

Thanks JB. If people just lay down and roll over, the lawmakers will run over us. Yes, we need laws, but not laws that take away our basic freedom of choice. We have to stand together to fight for this freedom. All you have to do is look at the Black community, the Gay community, the Hispanic community, they stand in large numbers to fight for what they feel is their basic freedoms and the polititions listen because the larger the numbers, the more votes they stand to gain or loose. And that is all they care about, NOT WHAT EACH GROUP STANDS FOR BUT HOW MANY VOTES THEY BRING. The Biker community has to stand together for our rights.NOW as I said before, I'm not against helmets-- just the laws that take away my freedom to choose. I wear a helmet, even in states that don't require them most of the time. But if I'm downtown Daytona and it's 99 degrees, I may CHOOSE not to, but it is my choice.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: xx

I wear a helmet and always will. I wear a DOT and/or Snell labeled helmet because I want the best protection for my punkin I can get. But I've also been hit through no fault of my own and sent over a car, landing in the street. Myhelmet was crunched, my punkin just fine. But I respect the fact that you may choose not to wear one and I suport your right to choice. The passing of an arbitrary law that is vague at best and just confusing at worst does no one any good. It merely provides another vehicle for some podunk town to add to the city coffers by zapping out of area riders. We all know the speed trap towns. I can envision license checks where they will ask you to remove your helmet for a check also. NOw that brings up a thought. Since a LEO can charge you for anything in plain view without a search warrant, is the inside of your helmet a protected space such as a trunk? It is closed, not in plain sight and not accessible without removing the latch and opening the area? Just curious ,,,, anybody have an opinion?

Ride safe and Free

Bubba

Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

ORIGINAL: HD Attitude

Im astonished anyone would even fight a helmet law. Where's your head at ? Not in a helmet for sure. You don't ware a helmet. You bust your head. It cost the insurance a bundle. You loose everything because your brain dead from not wearing a helmet. Your family suffers. The insurance companies has to raise our rates to cover Geniuses who think they shouldn't ware helmets.
Then the rest of us wants stiffer penalties on people who hit bikers but can't get laws passed because we're to busy fighting helmet laws and getting ran over. Wake the Fu*k up people. I personally called a congressman and talked to Him. He told me they looked over the traffic fatality reports for Florida and America and came up with 65% or all motorcycle accidents were caused by rider error . HELLO ! So lets see. Drunk, no helmet, running over the speed limit AT NIGHT and we want to fight for no helmet laws ? We look stupid as hell. Un real.
Fightinghelmet laws is about freedom of choice. Riding drunk isconsiderably different than riding without a helmet.

If states really want to reduce accidents, then a required rider's course would go a lot further toward that end than a helmet law. If 65% of all accidents are rider error as you alluded to, then training riders to not make those errors will go a lot further in reducing fatalities than a helmet will.

Bill

Old 01-03-2008, 07:58 AM
HD Attitude
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jbhoyle

One of the local CBA chapter officers put together a News Years Day protest ride. Not to protest helmets, but to protest the new helmet law in N.C. Temp was in the mid 40's and wind gust were pretty bad but we had 41 bikes with 60 people braved the hangovers and the weather to protest this very poorly put together law. We rode from the Wizard Lounge to the Catawba County courthouse, piled our helmets on the courthouse steps for a photo shoot, then back to the Wizard to warm up. Heard there were several protest rides in NC at the same time. Hopefully, we can get enough people to make a big enough fuss that our state legislators will take another look at it. This law was thrown in with a bunch of other highway safety laws, so to get the ones they wanted, they had to vote them all in regardless of who, or what it effected. As it stands now there are Brand New helmets purchased at local bike dealers that are not approved under the new law. Even if it says DOT on the back and you paid $200m or $300 for it, unless it has all the new requirements, you can still get a ticket. If you live in NC and value your rights, please help us fight this. Who knows, next they may make us wear full leathers and full faced helmets all year around. Don't get me wrong, I'm for helmets, but I'm also for choice.

I can't freakin believe people would have the gual to get out and protest a Helmet law. That's like protesting laws to incarcerate criminals. WTF ? "NON" motorcycle riders think you're insane. Here, you want the government to stop making laws, act like you've got an ounce of intelligence and stop drinking and driving. Stop running into people at high rates of speed start acting like you've got gray matter between you're head's. I can't believe this. We're busting *** to get PIP for motorcyclist and we here there's going to be a protest for no helmet laws. What's next ? Protesting a drinking and riding law ? GOOD GOD !

Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

HD Attitude,

I am still trying to understand how you equate a helmet law to a DWI law, or what being stupid and running into people at high rates of speed has to do with the issue at hand. Is a helmet going to give you the freedom to ride drunk or stupid?

You want to wear a helmet, that is your choice, if you don't that is your choice, but don't try toshove it down everyone else's throat.

If I don't wear a helmet and sustain an injury, I hurt myself, If I drive drunk I hurt someone else. If I commit a criminal act, I hurt someone else. Big difference here. FREEDOM means being able to make choices, good or bad, as long as my choices do not infringe on your freedoms.

Bill

Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Asmodeus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't freakin believe people would have the gual to get out and protest a Helmet law. That's like protesting laws to incarcerate criminals. WTF ? "NON" motorcycle riders think you're insane. Here, you want the government to stop making laws, act like you've got an ounce of intelligence and stop drinking and driving. Stop running into people at high rates of speed start acting like you've got gray matter between you're head's. I can't believe this. We're busting *** to get PIP for motorcyclist and we here there's going to be a protest for no helmet laws. What's next ? Protesting a drinking and riding law ? GOOD GOD !
You may want the government to be your mommy, that doesn't mean everyone else does. Your argument is circular. There are already laws against the other offenses. And for the record only the 'Non" motorcycle LIBERALS think we are insane. Anyone with half a lick of conservatism in them knows better.

If you weren't so hung up on thinking the government knows best, you might even figure out the DUI laws aren't perfect either.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 AM
amike
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's riding drunk got to do with not wearing a helmet?

Im astonished anyone would even fight a helmet law. Where's your head at ? Not in a helmet for sure. You don't ware a helmet. You bust your head. It cost the insurance a bundle. You loose everything because your brain dead from not wearing a helmet. Your family suffers. The insurance companies has to raise our rates to cover Geniuses who think they shouldn't ware helmets.
Then the rest of us wants stiffer penalties on people who hit bikers but can't get laws passed because we're to busy fighting helmet laws and getting ran over. Wake the Fu*k up people. I personally called a congressman and talked to Him. He told me they looked over the traffic fatality reports for Florida and America and came up with 65% or all motorcycle accidents were caused by rider error . HELLO ! So lets see. Drunk, no helmet, running over the speed limit AT NIGHT and we want to fight for no helmet laws ? We look stupid as hell. Un real.

Quick Reply: Helmet Protest Ride