General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Protest Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Protest Ride

ORIGINAL: chiabate

During a traffic stop, you can't dismount your bike nor can you step out of your vehicle unless directed to do so. So technically, you are on your bike without a helmet just as disconnecting a seatbelt to reach in your pocket to produce a driver's license/insurance card makes you "operating a vehicle without wearing a seatbelt. Most LEO's aren't dicks, but some locales need to bolster revenues and will issue the citation/bill. I got just that in Stone Park IL years ago, a town famous for packed traffic courtrooms. The main drag is 6 lanes with a wide center and the speed limit is only 30!
Doesn't work that way in NJ. Law specically states you must be operating MC w/o helmet. Same thing for seatbelt in cars. You must be operating the vehicle.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:31 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Riding to a courthouse on a holiday to make a protest demonstration makes no sense to me. I figure if you are gonna put on a show, you at least need an audience to see it.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

During a traffic stop, you can't dismount your bike nor can you step out of your vehicle unless directed to do so.

Is that illegal where you live?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:57 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure it is. You getting off your bike or getting out of your car is considered a physical threat. I'm all for laws to protect the LEO's but not to further empty my pockets if I run into one that just got a full ticket book and had his/her watch commander say "fill it" or else. I lived through the days of them getting an assembly of white boys off a corner or out of a park, always had that $35 "disorderly conduct" bail stuffed in my wallet. LEO's are just doing their job, but some are more influenced than others.
ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

During a traffic stop, you can't dismount your bike nor can you step out of your vehicle unless directed to do so.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Sure it is. You getting off your bike or getting out of your car is considered a physical threat. I'm all for laws to protect the LEO's but not to further empty my pockets if I run into one that just got a full ticket book and had his/her watch commander say "fill it" or else. I lived through the days of them getting an assembly of white boys off a corner or out of a park, always had that $35 "disorderly conduct" bail stuffed in my wallet. LEO's are just doing their job, but some are more influenced than others.

Just wondering. Do you happen to have a specific code number for that law in your state? I'd like to read the text on it. I've been a LEO in my state for 15 years. While we don't like it when people get out of their cars, there isn't a specific law that prohibits them for doing it....at least I've never seen it or heard of anybody using it.

Yes, I am all too familiar with the dangers of traffic stops. A few years ago, we had an officer pull over a store in a convience store parking lot, before he could get unbelted, much less out of his car, the suspect came running back, beat him unconscious thru the driver's window, disarmed him, and then executed him in the parking lot.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:36 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Riding to a courthouse on a holiday to make a protest demonstration makes no sense to me. I figure if you are gonna put on a show, you at least need an audience to see it.
lol . . good point. I also can't imagine that 40 loud Harleys running through town on a morning when everyone is fighting a hangover did much good to sway the public opinion!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:10 PM
ropd0184
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you DO ever receive a ticket for no seat belt because you took your off AFTER you were stopped, or not wearing a helmet because you took it off AFTER being stopped, i would suggest you fight it in court. you must be OPERATING the vehicle while not wearing that seat belt or helmet...now many times people say they JUST took their seatbelt off so they could get their insurance when it was clear that the seatbelt had been off prior to bein stopped.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:32 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ropd0184

If you DO ever receive a ticket for no seat belt because you took your off AFTER you were stopped, or not wearing a helmet because you took it off AFTER being stopped, i would suggest you fight it in court. you must be OPERATING the vehicle while not wearing that seat belt or helmet...now many times people say they JUST took their seatbelt off so they could get their insurance when it was clear that the seatbelt had been off prior to bein stopped.

While I would never write a guy who just took his helmet or seatbelt off, by the letter of the law you are "operating a vehicle" (in Va., anyway), if the keys are in the ignition. This is the part of the law that lets us arrest guys passed out behind the wheel for DUI.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Lots of Harleys don't have keys in the ignition when you are operating them.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:23 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering. Do you happen to have a specific code number for that law in your state? I'd like to read the text on it. I've been a LEO in my state for 15 years. While we don't like it when people get out of their cars, there isn't a specific law that prohibits them for doing it....at least I've never seen it or heard of anybody using it.

Yes, I am all too familiar with the dangers of traffic stops. A few years ago, we had an officer pull over a store in a convience store parking lot, before he could get unbelted, much less out of his car, the suspect came running back, beat him unconscious thru the driver's window, disarmed him, and then executed him in the parking lot.
That is a horrible reality that you just stated above. I have two nephew and 3 cousins on the force in SC. I hated the two nephews took the job. I told them both when they were hired, "Watch your backs." and dont let stuff like the above happen. I dont need to go to prison for doing the punk that did you.

I have rode with them several times to some tuff calls.

Quick Reply: Helmet Protest Ride