General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when a dealership dies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What happens when a dealership dies?

This afternoon, we were on our way to Costco for grocery shopping. Right next to the store is our local Harley dealer. They're usually closed on Monday, but the service ba garage door was up, and there were several cars in the parking lot. I tought they might be having some sort of special, year-end deal, so I pulled into the lot.

We got out of the car and as we crossed the parking lot, one of the guys that works there, told us that they were closed, but a lot of peoplke were there clearing out their stuff. He then went on and told us that the owner had come in the previous day, laid off 90% of the staff, and that, while the dealership would be open on Wednesday, it eould be closed permanently in a week or two. He said the "idiot owner" had run the business into the ground.

My wife said she hoped he would find another job soon, and he said, he already had.

So, now I'm curious. What does this mean for me? When a dealer shuts its doors, are there usually good deals to be had? Because they've got a bike or two I wouldn't mind having, if there's fire-sale pricing going on.

Anybody ever had an experience with what happens when a dealership closes down?
[/align]

Old 12-31-2007, 10:06 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What happens when a dealership dies?

If they were in financial trouble, I guarantee their motorcycle stock, and some of their parts inventory were floor planned.
The MoCo will re-aquire and then liquidate their entirefinanced inventory to other dealers, so don't expect a sniff of the good stuff. You might see a sale on their trinkets and coffee pots..

Gotta wonder...
My dealer is ready to cut the ribbon on a brand new, 2.4 million dollar facility.
I've been in business my entire life, and never was worried to take a calculated risk. This move of theirs in this current economy would have me a little worried to carry that much paper on a business predicated on expendable income...

Old 12-31-2007, 10:13 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ower probably was invested heavily in the Sub-prime mortgage business!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 PM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As said before, the stock will be re-absorbed. The dealership was probably so far in the red that the creditors will clean everything out. The only thing you'll see make it to public sale is the chrome consultant's desk and the suggestion box. Two completely useless items at your typical dealership. Ray

Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate to see any business go kerplunk, but as in any business, you have to have business, & know how to run a business to be successful.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should know before we do...
ORIGINAL: Dale Franks

This afternoon, we were on our way to Costco for grocery shopping. Right next to the store is our local Harley dealer. They're usually closed on Monday, but the service ba garage door was up, and there were several cars in the parking lot. I tought they might be having some sort of special, year-end deal, so I pulled into the lot.

We got out of the car and as we crossed the parking lot, one of the guys that works there, told us that they were closed, but a lot of peoplke were there clearing out their stuff. He then went on and told us that the owner had come in the previous day, laid off 90% of the staff, and that, while the dealership would be open on Wednesday, it eould be closed permanently in a week or two. He said the "idiot owner" had run the business into the ground.

My wife said she hoped he would find another job soon, and he said, he already had.

So, now I'm curious. What does this mean for me? When a dealer shuts its doors, are there usually good deals to be had? Because they've got a bike or two I wouldn't mind having, if there's fire-sale pricing going on.

Anybody ever had an experience with what happens when a dealership closes down?
[/align]

Old 12-31-2007, 10:44 PM
skyking
Tourer

Hey, are you talking about Biggs in San Marcos? I was just there yesterday, ton of bikes on the floor, but the clothing dept inventory seemed to be kinda scarce. That's a bummer, some good folks working there.

Rick

Old 12-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain

Hey, are you talking about Biggs in San Marcos?
Well, I wasn't gonna specify it, but, yeah.
[/align]

Old 12-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

Dale is that the shop where NY Mike works ?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 PM
FREEFALL
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Crushertx3

Dale is that the shop where NY Mike works ?
NY Mike owns San Diego Harley about an hour south.

Anything going on at the other Biggs in O'side?

S/F

Quick Reply: What happens when a dealership dies?