General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when a dealership dies?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
JROCKER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What happens when a dealership dies?

[/quote]
As mentioned earlier, Quaids in Temecula is out of control on their bike prices. I live about 2 miles from them and wouldn't buythere because they are so high. Andif you want to meet some unfriendly employees, just belly up to their parts counter.
[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head with the parts counter, pretty rude with a big lack of knowledge. Kc is cool, and the service department at quaid was super cool. Garrett the salesman is cool as **** he helped me out alot. I'd use the service departmant again but other than that im done.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Probally was sold and will their will be another one opening soon within a given mileage. Harley might Have got fed up and wouldnt let the owner renew his lisence with them or found a way out of the contract with them. also they might not been growing to their specs. Or some lawsuit Nailed them. Theres many things that could have happened but their my best guesses.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
RideDglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dale Franks

Hey, are you talking about Biggs in San Marcos?
Well, I wasn't gonna specify it, but, yeah.
[/align]
No Sheet.... Never made any major purchases there, butgreat place to pick up chrome and trinkets as they always had good wall inventory.
Bummer!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Stelis
Cruiser

Yeah, unless there's a big change in attitude there, I probably will, too. That's where i go my current bike. It's a big pain to drive all the way down there for service, though, when Biggs is so close. My main concern was having them for service needs.

Heck, i wouldn't mind driving down to El Cajon to buy a bike if the price was right.
If Temecula is any closer to you, try Temecula Motorcycle Service. The only place I take my Harley to.

http://www.temeculamotorcycleservice.com/

Thanks for the heads up on the red tag sales at San Marcos, I'll have to run down there and see what they've got.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:29 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

the price of bikes go up?

This afternoon, we were on our way to Costco for grocery shopping. Right next to the store is our local Harley dealer. They're usually closed on Monday, but the service ba garage door was up, and there were several cars in the parking lot. I tought they might be having some sort of special, year-end deal, so I pulled into the lot.

We got out of the car and as we crossed the parking lot, one of the guys that works there, told us that they were closed, but a lot of peoplke were there clearing out their stuff. He then went on and told us that the owner had come in the previous day, laid off 90% of the staff, and that, while the dealership would be open on Wednesday, it eould be closed permanently in a week or two. He said the "idiot owner" had run the business into the ground.

My wife said she hoped he would find another job soon, and he said, he already had.

So, now I'm curious. What does this mean for me? When a dealer shuts its doors, are there usually good deals to be had? Because they've got a bike or two I wouldn't mind having, if there's fire-sale pricing going on.

Anybody ever had an experience with what happens when a dealership closes down?
[/align]

Old 01-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Over the past two years, acouple mega-size dealers opened in my area. I'm talkin'places with showrooms the size ofDestination Daytona.With the flat economy, a decrease in sales, these dealershave to be worried.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:58 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it pretty much depends on the receivership laws in that state. I think here in Canada, there are provincial laws that govern such things.

Any stock that has not been paid for still belongs to the creditors. If the dealership sells it off for less than they have to pay for it,... they would still have to pay for it andsuckup theloss.If a receivership repossession happens....The creditoror financial institutionwill come in and lock the doors so nothing will transpire until they takeinventory. They willprobably arrange an auction of some sort in orderrecoup what they can. Remaining stockcan most often be returned to the creditors to reduce debt owed...etc etc.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Big Dog Dealer and most everything that was posted is true. In most states if your a dealer and your bikes are floor planned, then the manufacture has an agreement with the finance company to buy the bikes back and in some case all other inventory, such as new parts and clothing. I think that this is just the beginning. Harley has developed so many dealers in such small area and a lot of those dealers have huge building with huge overheads. I think you will start to see some thinning of the heards. I personally don't agree with having a dealer every 10 miles. It weakens there ability to grow and the stability of the dealer during slow times.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:39 PM
RideDglide
Tourer

ORIGINAL: RKKY

A tad off-topic, but relates to San Diego dealerships in general. I lived in So Cal for 25 plus years. My favorite dealership down there is El Cajon H-D. Great service andMSRP pricing (backin 2000 whenI bought my FLSTFthey were literally the only dealership within 150 miles of my house offering MSRP). All the other dealers in the area were between 1000.00 and 2500.00 above.Eric who sold me my bike wentthe extra mile and then some. He worked a dealer swap to get me exactly what I wanted, not a huge deal but most other dealers acted like it was the re-digging of the Panama Canal (the only other dealer who offered to do a swap was charging 2k above MSRP). HeStayed 5 hours past closing so I could pick up the bike on theMonday it came in instead of waiting til the weekend when I was off work.Basically hetreated me like a person instead of a paycheck.From what my buddies in San Diego tell me, Eric, the guy who sold me the bike is now the GM of El Cajon so I would imagine that they are still doing business the right way. I happily travelled 130 miles each way to buy my bike from them back then and If I didn't work in another dealership and they didn't have to sell CA emission bikes, I would probably ride the 1100 miles from my currenthome to buy my next one as well.
Yep...Same, same... Sent a runner up to Quaid to pick up my bike (dealer swap)while I sipped cold ones in Dumonts. Lopped off setup without asking since Quaid did the work. ECHD is still a home town shop and they get all my business.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member

I thought they just faded away

Quick Reply: What happens when a dealership dies?