General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a high flow air cleaner (stage 1)??? - UPDATED PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Arizona Flash
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is this a high flow air cleaner (stage 1)???

Looks just like my stock '91 FXSTC cleaner except for the extra holes drilled in the backing plate. Sold the bike a couple years ago. Had Python II exhaust, but kept the stock air cleaner. Thought it looked OK and really was no need to go bigger. The air cleaner was big enough as it was, IMHO. I don't think an air cleaner change would matter on your Evo... they were fairly free flowing stock.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
mrb302
Road Master

There is a good article in this month's American Iron that you should check out. One of the biggest advantages of a true high performance air cleaner is not only the massive openings around the filter, but more importantly the smooth radius and air entry of the backplate. Around the opening of the carb, the back plate should be a smooth radius to keep air "laminate" not "turbelent".

Here is my example:

http://s2.largeimagehost.com/HL/UXUUteF/DSCF0004.JPG

Notice the smooth turn into the mouth of the carb. Your stock backplate won't be as smooth.

I went from a modified stocker (kinda like yours) to the Arlen Ness set -up and I noticed a difference. It was enough difference that I had to change the pilot jet up to a bigger size in my carb.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you will notice that when you install the filter that the opening on the back side of the filter, which is a metal plate, actually fits perfectly over the intake opening. No way for air to bypass the filter. Those holes aresupposed to be there, they let the air in and around the back side of the filter.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:54 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Is this a high flow air cleaner (stage 1)??? - UPDATED PICS

Thanks for the additional input! I appreciate it.

Chris

Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 PM
mrb302
Road Master

ORIGINAL: TM

If you will notice that when you install the filter that the opening on the back side of the filter, which is a metal plate, actually fits perfectly over the intake opening. No way for air to bypass the filter. Those holes aresupposed to be there, they let the air in and around the back side of the filter.
To add to this....

Originally I followed the advise of a well respected forum memebr and cut the most of the plastic backing out of my stock airbox. As long as the filter element is sealed over the carb opening you will have no ill effects.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:29 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mrb302

To add to this....

Originally I followed the advise of a well respected forum memebr and cut the most of the plastic backing out of my stock airbox. As long as the filter element is sealed over the carb opening you will have no ill effects.
Thanks. I think I'll drill a few more holes in it for sh*ts and giggles. May not make any difference at all, but it gives me something to screw around with that I most likely won't mess up. lol...

Old 01-04-2008, 07:14 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

As long as the back of the filter seals around the intake(flat area)in the first pic your good to go.Drilling more holes wont do anything except make the housing weaker IMO.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

better plug those holes they are on the inside of the filter element . yes that would be aconsidered a high flow but also high bugs dirt sticks sand anything else that would normally be stopped by the filter element. might as well run no filter at all as that set up sorry.........

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/F0BCC1DC954F4AAA9F1FF0CEAFB897A3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: grumpy irish again

better plug those holes they are on the inside of the filter element . yes that would be aconsidered a high flow but also high bugs dirt sticks sand anything else that would normally be stopped by the filter element. might as well run no filter at all as that set up sorry.........

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/F0BCC1DC954F4AAA9F1FF0CEAFB897A3.jpg[/IMG]
Keep reading... It's fine.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:19 AM
ken01976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That a stock filter too right? Do you know if the bike has been rejetted? You can take off the carb bottom and look at the jet sizes with a flashlight from underneath real quick to tell. If it hasnt been rejetted. A highflow air cleaner and tuning will net you prolly 8 rear wheel horse power which you will definitly notice.

Quick Reply: Is this a high flow air cleaner (stage 1)??? - UPDATED PICS