General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a high flow air cleaner (stage 1)??? - UPDATED PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:50 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Is this a high flow air cleaner (stage 1)???

I agree with the holes being drilled on the inside of the filtered area.The air should onlyflow between the back of the cover and the backing plate thru the filter.What does the filter look like?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:29 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

I agree with the holes being drilled on the inside of the filtered area.The air should onlyflow between the back of the cover and the backing plate thru the filter.What does the filter look like?
Thanks guys. The filter is sort of an oval shape. It's not perfectly round. I could probably take some pics tomorrow and post 'em. I sure hope those holes are in the right spot! DOH

Old 12-31-2007, 08:35 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,798 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Hey Sgt check your e-mail.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: seniorsuperglideE8

Hey, a big thanks to you and everyone else for the help. I'll try to examine it closer tomorrow and maybe take some pics to see where the filter is at in relation to those holes. That does suck that unfiltered air is getting in there. I'm guessing I won't notice a performance inprovement if I got a Big Sucker or something, but it would be better since the air is always filtered.

Chris

Old 12-31-2007, 10:47 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could get a lawn mower filter one of those thinn 1/4 inch thick ones and spread it open and epoxy it to thebacker plate
for a cheap fix till you get a new one. Just something to keep dirt out. I would do that before I let the bike sit over a day. Cheesecloth would work also. Looking at the housing I see where an oval filter might fit inside those holes anyway, make sure its broke before you fix it...
ORIGINAL: SgtThump

ORIGINAL: seniorsuperglideE8

Hey, a big thanks to you and everyone else for the help. I'll try to examine it closer tomorrow and maybe take some pics to see where the filter is at in relation to those holes. That does suck that unfiltered air is getting in there. I'm guessing I won't notice a performance inprovement if I got a Big Sucker or something, but it would be better since the air is always filtered.

Chris

Old 01-01-2008, 12:05 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: x2lee

you could get a lawn mower filter one of those thinn 1/4 inch thick ones and spread it open and epoxy it to thebacker plate
for a cheap fix till you get a new one. Just something to keep dirt out. I would do that before I let the bike sit over a day. Cheesecloth would work also. Looking at the housing I see where an oval filter might fit inside those holes anyway, make sure its broke before you fix it
That's a good idea! I'll check it out again today and report back.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Here's a better pic with the filter in place. There is no unfiltered air getting into the carb. It's basically just adding more intake holes or whatever they're called. Whhhheeeeeeew... I feel better now.

So anyway, would I notice any improvement if I "upgraded" to a high flow air cleaner or is my modified stock air cleaner high flowing enough to get the benefits?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:50 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Also, I'm not sure why they didn't go ahead and drill holes in the bottom of the assembly near the "stock" intake too. Seems like that would be a good idea. I may do that myself!

Chris

Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you would really gain anything. Unless you start to mod you motor you should be getting all the air you're motor can use now. But it is always fun to try something new.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:41 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JB

I don't think you would really gain anything. Unless you start to mod you motor you should be getting all the air you're motor can use now. But it is always fun to try something new.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. I may eventually get a different air cleaner, but I could use the money for other things now, so I may put that off for a bit. I'd like to get the bike dynotuned and fluids changed over to synthetic for smoother shifting.

Quick Reply: Is this a high flow air cleaner (stage 1)??? - UPDATED PICS