General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Question on Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:30 AM
JeckyllPhD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question on Counter-steering

I bought the Learn To Ride video by Motorman Palladino. I am confused as to "Push Left, Go Left. Push Right, Go Right."

Sounds stupid, but do you push down, or out on the handlebars?

I've had some slow-speed parkinglot practice and to me, it seems that if I push (out) on the right handlebar, I'm gonna start a left hand turn.

Also, what speeds is the push left go left tactic intended for? Is this in place of leaning?I assume, the technique calls for gentle pressure down on the handlebar, which causes the bike to lean slightly. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:55 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Question on Counter-steering

ORIGINAL: JeckyllPhD

I bought the Learn To Ride video by Motorman Palladino. I am confused as to "Push Left, Go Left. Push Right, Go Right."

Sounds stupid, but do you push down, or out on the handlebars?

I've had some slow-speed parkinglot practice and to me, it seems that if I push (out) on the right handlebar, I'm gonna start a left hand turn.

Also, what speeds is the push left go left tactic intended for? Is this in place of leaning?I assume, the technique calls for gentle pressure down on the handlebar, which causes the bike to lean slightly. Is this correct?

Thanks!
If you do a search on here for counter-steering you will find some pretty elaborate discussions on the physics involved and why this technique works. Many people do this without even realizing they are, but once you realize it you will see how easy it is to control the bike.

You press forward or out on the handlebar. Push on the right grip to go right, left one to go left. You are only pushing that grip slightly forward, but it changes all the various moments of inertia of the bike and results in the bike leaning to the side you pressed and thus turning. This only works at speeds above about 20 mph, below that you steer the bike as shown in the video.

Best way to understand it is to get out on your bike and try it. If you are new to riding, enroll in a MSF rider's course where they will teach you this technique along with several other skills.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:05 AM
capnron
6th Gear

Check out the book Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. He explains the physics of it very well.
Bottom line though, it works just as Swestbrook60 says.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:16 AM
JeckyllPhD
Intermediate

thanks for the replies. One more question: Do I employ lean simultaneously as I'm counter-steering?

Not to wver-simplify the physics, but it seems like I'd do the exact same thing I would on a bicycle turning at high speed.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 AM
laz
Extreme HDF Member

Received 9,615 Likes on 3,435 Posts

Most of this is going to come much more intuitively than you think. It sounds like you're WAY over thinking it. I would highly suggest you take a basic rider's course (either the MSF or Harley's Riders Edge). You'll have a chance to get comfortable with steering under the supervision of an instructor and with a very docile and forgiving bike. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:58 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Up to around 15 mph you steer like you were on a tricycle (turn left to go left, etc). It's not till you get above that speed that countersteering comes into play. The term "countersteering" causes alot of confusion, especially with newer riders. Once you're on the road and underway, whether you know it or not, it's the only way you can turn a bike. If you come to a curve and are successful in making the curve you have just countersteered. The only way to 'not' countersteer is to go straight and that could be disasterous. Whether you're pushing down or out on the left bar when making a left turn or pulling on the right bar when making a left turn, you are countersteering. That goes for whether you're aware you're doing it or you're like most riders and aren't even aware you're doing it.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:14 AM
NY_Rebel
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: JeckyllPhD

thanks for the replies. One more question: Do I employ lean simultaneously as I'm counter-steering?

Not to wver-simplify the physics, but it seems like I'd do the exact same thing I would on a bicycle turning at high speed.
Exactly....no one ever talks about counter-steer on a bicycle, but it is employed just the same.
So... if you can ride a bicycle...you can ride a motorcycle.
I'm not down-playing the importance of understanding the physics involved, just trying to point out that peopleemploy the technique without even knowing it.

As for the lean....that is what the counter-steer induces....the lean angle needed to negotiate theevasive maneuver,curve, or turn.
These maneuvers need to become second nature for you, and the only way to accomplish that is to practice riding.
My contention has always been: if you have to think about it....it's too late.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You've probably heard the old saying that practice doesn't make perfect--PERFECT practice makes perfect. Don't just stop at watching the video, get into a riding course. Having a knowledgable instructor can help you eliminate bad habits you don't even know you have. Even Tiger Woods uses a coach.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:49 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the course. If your asking you should:
Take a riders course! It saved my life more than once. Really.
They really make you work the counter steer thing as well as other slow riding techniques.
Very helpful.
I took one twenty years ago.
Ten years ago.
And I want to take another.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:05 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you want it in a nut shell??
just go ride the f@kin bike,,,, never mind these techno whizz bang preachers.
aint never heard of a newbie, not knowing how go around a corner on a bike???

Quick Reply: Newbie Question on Counter-steering