General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is a good place to find beaters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Mortation
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is a good place to find beaters?

OK does anyone have any tips on good places to look for fixer upers? I am trying to get my hands on a harley but it just seems like they are all very expensive. Even used. I mean I can grab an early 80's ANYTHING else for a few hundred bucks but a harley will run $4k+. I checked the usual places, eBay, Craigs List, etc. Nothing really pops. So I tracked down this forum and was hoping its as helpful as the forum I use for my bike.

I was going to drop another $1000 into my bike shortly for a new set of coils, pipes, chrome, etc but figured if I am going to keep pumping money into a bike it should be a bike I really want to be riding not just the cheapest thing I could get my hands on. I have only been riding for a couple of years now, first on a 74' GT550 then an 83' GS850; not my first choices simply "Affordable". I have clocked about 3000 miles and as long as there is no snow or ice I am riding. I have rebuilt or fixed just about every part of both bikes excluding the engine and transmission so I am pretty handy with a wrench these days.

Any how, if any one has any insider tips as to where I can find those neglected early 80's harleys to fix up I would appreciate it.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Where is a good place to find beaters?

Those bikes stored under a tarp in grandma's barn are an urban legend, I'm afraid.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

Those bikes stored under a tarp in grandma's barn are an urban legend, I'm afraid.
No they aren't! You just gotta be patient and have money on hand to buy when the time is right.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After all these years in dealing with HD's, I've come to the conclusion that there aren'tvery many "affordable" Harleys. Even the "salvage" or "repairable" late models are going for $6K and up. The best advice to you is, determine a price you're willing to pay, save up your coin and go shopping.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And be sure to check for Elvis' name under the seat, too. Maybe someone who has bought a running HD for a grand will help the guy out.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Mortation
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

And be sure to check for Elvis' name under the seat, too. Maybe someone who has bought a running HD for a grand will help the guy out.
LOL I wasnt expecting a running HD for a grand but that would be cool I was looking more around $2k for a fixer uper I could get on the road by spring.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your going to have a tougher time coming up with an early 80s bike than a mid to late 80s bike. Id be looking for an 84 to 89 EVO bike rather than an 80 to 84 shovel. The Shovels have a fanatical almost cult like following. Kind of a clique within the clique.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Mortation
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS

Your going to have a tougher time coming up with an early 80s bike than a mid to late 80s bike. Id be looking for an 84 to 89 EVO bike rather than an 80 to 84 shovel. The Shovels have a fanatical almost cult like following. Kind of a clique within the clique.
Cool, thanks for the tip!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a motorcycle salvage yard. You may be able to piece together a bike. Still think that Craigslist is your best bet though. Look for something local and be ready to pounce on it.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Mortation
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Dorkman

Try a motorcycle salvage yard. You may be able to piece together a bike. Still think that Craigslist is your best bet though. Look for something local and be ready to pounce on it.
Anyone know of a good salvage yard in CT or NH? Only ones I know about are for everything but HD!

Quick Reply: Where is a good place to find beaters?