General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is a good place to find beaters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:35 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Where is a good place to find beaters?

Divorce sales. Kid who works for me has a buddy who just picked up a 1937 Harley from a woman who bounced hubby out of the house. Had been stored in her garage for a few years & she wanted more room. He took it off her hands for $3,000 in good running & cosmetic condition.
Be nice tothem cougars.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:48 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

A friend of mine in CA that owned an independant shop, used to go out to Oklahoma and Texas to find used bikes. Try looking on bike sale sights out there. Might have to drive a little bit. You just have to have the cash and the patience.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:35 PM
jnh45
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 2k or less price range I think you are looking at a used Sportster.

I picked up an '87 sportster last year and I've got less than 2k in it including
the new clutch I had to install. It aint real pretty, no turn signals, a fatbob type
tank and the speedo doesn't work, but I like it. Did I mention the purple ghost flame
paint job?

My point is that older sportsters that need a little TLC are out there if you're interested.

Hell, mine is out there if you're interested......of course if I was selling it would be a

"1987 Harley Davidson Sportster XLH, custom paint, custom seat, fatbob tank, drag pipes. One of a kind! A must see!!"

Old 12-28-2007, 08:36 PM
BK Meyers
Cruiser

Check out this website:
www.erepairables.com

Go to the "buyer" icon, then navigate thru what you want to see.

Good luck in your search,
BK

Old 12-28-2007, 10:12 PM
AzDon
Tourer

Yes, With Harleys it's not hundreds, but thousands of dollars.... This is the price of admission, however, remember that when you sell, the baseline value is still there if you've bought wisely.
If you venture into the very bottom dollar category after older HD's, you should know that Harleys were once the most stolen motorcycles on the planet. Most were stolen by VERY organized rings with familiar, even legendary names,that include gifted HD technicians and custom motorcycle builders. It takes a bit of sophistication to know which HD parts can be mixed and matched and which have serial numbers. Be careful that you don't end up with something with less-than-adequate title, or worse, robbed of 2 grand!
I know a guy who went to Sturgis on a springer softail that was assembled by a custom shop from (supposedly) salvage parts and ended up driving the motorcycle (less it's springer front end) home in a u-haul because a federal task force prowls the rallies and covertly checks bikes for stolen parts!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:11 AM
nutmagnet
Advanced

look in big city want ads ,towards the end of harley for sale listing,thats where you will find rolling chassis,motor etc.swap meets around here(atlanta) have turned into t-shirt /leather sales events.aint like it used to be.I guess when the yuppster reveolution hit every body put all their old parts into bikes and sold them.Lots went over seas.Probably start with an older sporty. good luck!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 AM
N4SIR
Advanced

Might want to check out www.crashedtoyz.com They seem to have quite a few if ya don`t mind a salvage title.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Kolni

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

Those bikes stored under a tarp in grandma's barn are an urban legend, I'm afraid.
No they aren't! You just gotta be patient and have money on hand to buy when the time is right.
Ain't that the truth, it took me almost 5 years to find my project bike, I finally got a wore out used up 1986 FXRS-SP that needs a lot of work but it runs (at least it starts and makes exhaust noise) and the frame is straight. Keep looking.