General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curse of the GREEN bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:24 AM
LOTHAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Curse of the GREEN bike

My chopped 72 sporster was emerald green with orange and yellow intricate pinstriping on the tank and fenders. I popped a wheelie with a friend on the back barefooted and he ground his heels to the bone when she flipped over on us. I don't think it was the color that was the problem. I think it was because I was young and it was the early 70's. I would love to have another bike that color.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:35 AM
FLHR143
Cruiser

It's myth, go pick on another color!

Old 01-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Fatboy69
Advanced

What the hell is Blackbird smoking?He started talking about cars,tractors then planes [sm=smiley1.gif]...It came from WW II, That was the color of the bikes they road during the European campaign. The bikes could not handle the rough terrain or the muddy roads, leaving the soldiers to either walk to safety or be left behind, often resulting in capture. After the war motorcycles were very popular with the men coming home from service. The bikes sold very well, except for the bikes colored green. Leaving the dealers with the bad luck green bikes, which were soon painted black. Just kidding, but it sounded good. I just think drunks like the color green, and eventually drive drunk. Ending up tboned into a car, or driving off the road resulting in brain damage. Not taking the blame for their stupidity they blame the color of the bike as cursed.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Haji4
Tourer

I have an 89 1200 Sportster and I bought it with a Hamerite Green finish and I an haunted by the curse. I have had lots of little problems with it and My friend who owned it for the previous 10 years has has 2 major wrecks on it. almost cost him his life. Now I need an Exorcist because of a starter issue that wnot go away and I have several mechanics stumped. So I ride with the thought that I may need to push start at any time. I will be changing the color very soon. I still ride and try to park on a hill.

Penny

Old 01-06-2006, 02:33 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told years ago that the Green curse was due in part to the old racing colors sported by Norton and problems that they ran into. Anyway, it's a load of b.s. My first Harley was a 1982 Metallic Jade Green Sportster which I rode for 22 years w/o a single problem that was directly related to the bike. Sold it for my current Superglide and sometimes wish that I had that old vibrating XLS back as a second bike. It had a real charm about it.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fatboy69

What the hell is Blackbird smoking?He started talking about cars,tractors then planes [sm=smiley1.gif]...
I stopped smoking about four years ago. I just like to tell that story whenever I hear the word GREEN.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

its a old wise-tail just like somebody else said in racing to a race car was called a voo-doo wagon but like i said it a myth ask steve kinser he has drove a green race car for a few years and his championships keep adding up. dont pay no mind to it a friend has a green heritage and he loves it.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer

The only thing that is unlucky or cursed is being stupid.

John

Old 01-06-2006, 03:48 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Isshinryu

The only thing that is unlucky or cursed is being stupid.

John
What he said as I alluded to in my above post.[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 01-06-2006, 04:29 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a curse if a black cat cross your path on friday the 13th. Blah blah blah!

Quick Reply: Curse of the GREEN bike