General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter linkage cover install.... im going to smash this thing

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:19 AM
cwilks
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: shifter linkage cover install.... im going to smash this thing

ORIGINAL: pococj

Covers iz fer ________. (Fill in the blank.)

[8D]

I'm with ya on this one and that cover isn't going to keep that linkage from breaking eventually.........I got the chrome linkage with heim ends and hardware from HD for like $80.....just sayin

Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

i installed my regulator cover and cylinder base covers today. then i went to install the shifter linkage cover. it consists of the cover, 2 jamnuts and 2 allen bolts. simple, straight forward install-- right? NO!

this fvcking thing broke my ***** so bad- i packed it back up and will make another attempt later on. it almost seems like the provided bolts are too short. ill be going to the hardware store tomorrow to get one thats a bit longer- ill put that one on the rear- its hidden by the primary anyway.

the chrome linkage is like $130- WAY too much money for a linkage, so i went with the cover.... and i cant believe i couldnt get this freakin thing on.
Went through the same ordeal about a year ago. Received a linkage cover as a gift from a friend, looked at it, thought it was pretty cool, and decided to put it on. I figured it couldn't be more than all of a 5 minute job, right? Wrong! I must have fiddled and wrestled with that damn thing for the better part of two hours; still with no success!!!! Either my hands were too big to get them where they needed to be to align the bolts or the damn bolts wouldn't 'catch' once I did get them aligned! After a few cold ones, I decided that it was far more trouble to me than it was worth. Being the stubborn person that I am, I gave 'er another go later that evening. Finally, success. The funny thing is that after all that, I ended up taking it off after only a couple of days and went out andgot a chrome linkage. The linkage cover came off in like 2 seconds! Arrrggh!!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, replaced the stock linkage with stainless steel and heim joints. Shifting feels much more solid now.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 AM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HogBoy

Yeah, replaced the stock linkage with stainless steel and heim joints. Shifting feels much more solid now.
+1 same here, shifting difference is _definately_ noticable.

that factory linkage on my bagger was junk, with those rubber joints. last two bikes had stainless/heim joint linkage already... never even noticed till I got on this bagger.. that was the first mod I did was trash the factory linkage, and install the billet / bar&shield linkage.

99%r

Old 12-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Demkay
Road Master

Lol, can't believe I'm reading this. So, after all the crap I went through...... I ain't the only one.

I hate that POS cover, it still ain't installed. I even moved it the other day so it was outta site. Everytime I look at it I get pissed.

And my stock linkage had better not break. .........Well, at least it had better last until I order another one in decent metal.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:04 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed the chrome replacement one with the heim joints when my stock one broke. Didn't see the sense in the cover since I'd still have the crappy ball joints.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

I had no problem with mine,Been on for a year or so now.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:40 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Replaced my linkage at about twenty five thousand miles,does indeed make a big difference in shifting.Didn't realize how sloppy it was til I changed the linkage.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 12-30-2007, 03:29 PM
kjtoys
Cruiser

I too had trouble putting the cover on so I just used some clear silcone along the inside and it went right on. 50 thousand miles later it was still their. I sold that bike and bought a new one and did not even try to mount the cover. Just put silcone on the inside and 7000 miles later its still on.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:50 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

I installed the cover by using the reg bolt for the rear then the front would not catch for nothing in the world I ended getting a longer bolt from my toolbox tied it up then took it off and used the supplied bolt it has been there so far no issues.

Quick Reply: shifter linkage cover install.... im going to smash this thing