General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears yellow jack........

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:23 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts
Default Sears yellow jack........

Edit:Read my post below before responding...

I really didn't want to start this but I'm bored. I purchased the yellow jack about 6-7 weeks ago & gave it it's first test on my 06 Softail FXST on Christmas day to install my new toys. Now I don't know if it's the softail shocks or not but it barely slide under the bike, maybe 1/4" to spare. I purchased the frame protectors from HD & with them on the jack would not fit. The only point that the jack would clear the shocks so the lift arms would not hit them was not a good balance point at all. There is no way that I would feel safe using it. Back to Sears. J&S next up.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:28 PM
EVO80
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sears yellow jack........

I've owned a "red" one for about 4 or 5 years now - its fit fine under several bikes I've owned although it'stight on my RoadKing. I think I paid about $60 when it was on sale. Great lift - does all I've ever asked it to do.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Not this one, the next one

Yep, I know a lot of guys here love it or hate it but on my bike it just doesn't feel stable or balanced & the risk isn't worth it. I have to check my clearance as I bought my bike used & it may have been lowered. Sears says 3.5"at it's low point &I havea 1/4" to spare which makes it squirrley to handle with one person.BTW, it did lower smoothly contrary to most reviews I've read.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The beauty of the J&S is you just slide it under the bike while it's on the kickstand and just start jacking. Comes off the kickstand and straightens itself out. And the higher you jack it the more stable it is. And NO straps are required. I have mine up all the way and no worries.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:34 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, this is a NEVER ENDING argument if you let it become one. I think, like a lot of other things, certain jacks work better with some bikes more than others. I have a dyna and I use the frame adapter kit from HD when I put it on my RED lift unless I'm just jacking it up to get it to sit straight and not really lift the wheels off the ground. The jack will not go under the left side of the bike with the adapters on but I did develop a method for getting it done by myself without feeling anxious about losing control of the bike. I put the left side adapters on at an angle and straddle the bike and bring it up straight while pushing the jack under the bike. Once I have the bike upright and the jack underneath it, it feels very stable and I can just lift it up from there and strap it down. I don't lift the bike very much and don't usually leave it on the lift unattended for very long either. If I used a lift more often or needed to store my bike on one for long periods of time, I'd invest in a nicer lift. But, regardless of arguments made against it, my little RED lift from Sears is more than adequate and stable for what I need it for...

Old 12-26-2007, 03:52 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

OK, call me stupid on this one!!!!!!!!
I came home & measured the height of the jack, 5.5"
I measured my ground clearance, 5.5"

Ithought this jack got to 3.5"?

Then as if by magic as I lifted the riser pads, they pulled out. I didn't realize there were removable adapter pads for high clearance bikes. Holy sh*t as*hole! Now it's 3.5" clearance fits under the bike easily & I'll give it another try.

My Bad [sm=forgetit.gif][sm=closed.gif]for now.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:30 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a pit bull lift a little pricey but a great lift I have had both wheels of my road king at one time no stablity problems at all. it goes low also.

I have a red craftsman all i use it for is to raise up my tractor to clean the blades thats about it..

Old 12-26-2007, 04:50 PM
TruBluUltra
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

The beauty of the J&S is you just slide it under the bike while it's on the kickstand and just start jacking. Comes off the kickstand and straightens itself out. And the higher you jack it the more stable it is. And NO straps are required. I have mine up all the way and no worries.
That's the same method I use when getting my Ultra off of the ground, with the yellow lift....use it every time I ride

Old 12-26-2007, 05:24 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: golfblues

OK, call me stupid on this one!!!!!!!!
I came home & measured the height of the jack, 5.5"
I measured my ground clearance, 5.5"

Ithought this jack got to 3.5"?

Then as if by magic as I lifted the riser pads, they pulled out. I didn't realize there were removable adapter pads for high clearance bikes. Holy sh*t as*hole! Now it's 3.5" clearance fits under the bike easily & I'll give it another try.

My Bad [sm=forgetit.gif][sm=closed.gif]for now.

[sm=icon_rtfm.gif] LOL

Old 12-26-2007, 05:25 PM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Sears red jack showed up UPS last week. The UPS guy almost dropped his left one carrying it to the house. Heavy sucker. Sears was offering free delivery on all orders over $50. I think they paid $49 to deliver a $59 jack. It works great, JUST fits under my RK but stable as a rock when in the air. Now, what color to paint it, green or blue???

Quick Reply: Sears yellow jack........