General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hog membership dues

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:27 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Default RE: hog membership dues

I`ve got about the same opinionas Moe55. Life member of HOG nationalhere, and worth every $!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

ORIGINAL: cowboy Harry

But where do the money go????????????[8D]
the moco of course.....

Old 12-24-2007, 11:24 AM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A HOG chapter, just like any other association depends on it's members. If you don't like the chapter you're in, go hang out at another and another. The chapter I choose to be a member in isn't the same one I bought my lastbike at or others who serviced past bikes, the people make the chapter. For the most part, anybody who's been around about 12 years or longer doesn't snub their nose at "newbies". I usually see the people who are barely no longer "newbies" look down at newcomers. The seniors know all about fresh blood to keep things going.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tony P

I think you're right about cliques... I joined, but have not attended a meeting. Recently I met a couple at a bar that are members of the HOG chapter I joined. They admitted that they have their "own group within the group (HOG)"that rides. WTF?
Political **** like thisis the reasonI have no interestin joining a HOG chapter. All I want is the roadside assistance plan. Hell, I even throw away the little pin and patch them send me when I renew my membership.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:55 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

H.O.G. was bragging this year that membership had topped one million. At $45 each, that looks like a gross income for H.O.G. of $45 million. That's a lot of money. WhereDOES it go?????? Good luck finding out.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:27 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe that like the local chapters, Harley Owners Group International falls under the IRS Non-Profit Tax Exempt status, which includes other pleasure, recreational, and social associations.

I would think that part of the disclosure requirements for most associations would be that any 'member in good standing' (not only officers) should be able to request a detailed profit and loss statement which shows all revenues and expenses.

I'm not a member of HOG, local or national, but if I was I'd get in touch with someone at the national level and request, either verbal or in writing, and complete year to date financial statement.

This financial statement should give you a better idea of 'where the money goes'..

Old 12-24-2007, 04:43 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have -good sam emergency service - approx 100 year covers any thing I am on or in. and yes I had to use it last summer on interstate 5 had a rear tire give up and had to be towed to bakersfield. not a great place to break down but good sam came a got me, took a little time but hey I was out in the middle of nowhere..

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/70A0559A05CB4E6BAD7ECC95A4136148.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-24-2007, 06:15 PM
flyslow
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am sure they can justify where the money goes. May not seem right or not but I have another issue with Hog Chapters perhaps someone can address at the same time.

When I got my Ultra in April, there was quite the to do about filling out the paperwork and signing for my year membership in HOG. Got the patches and pins and magazines. I even got the 50 dollar chrome credit for a rider course back from them so that was a bonus.

I dont mind the pins or magazines or even the atlas as I have plenty of places I can stash it when riding.

What I DO want to know is why I have never heard a peep, not a phone call, not a post card, not an invite from anyone in ANY OF THE THREE HOG chapters that are within 50 miles of me in Northern VA.

I find it interesting that the MOCO pushes Hog membership but the chapters themselves do not do any public affairs to try and bring newRiders into the fold.

I like riding alone as much as I enjoy riding with a group. I am just as happy clicking off 1K in a weekend as I am spending a weekend and only going a few hundred miles.

Why do the chapters ignore this potential membership opportunity that the MOCO literally sits on their doorsteps?

Can anyone answer that?

Old 12-25-2007, 12:52 AM
JohnC88
Tourer

ORIGINAL: JohnT

H.O.G. was bragging this year that membership had topped one million. At $45 each, that looks like a gross income for H.O.G. of $45 million. That's a lot of money. WhereDOES it go?????? Good luck finding out.
I'm sure that is an inflated number due to all the free memberships given out with new bike purchases. I'll bet paid memberships are way less. Of course $22 mil (assuming only half are paid) ain't nothing to sneeze at either.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:03 AM
JohnC88
Tourer

ORIGINAL: KraZeeInOhio

You're right, to get AAA motorcycle coverage you need to upgrade to the RV plan @ 110.00 yr. But with that you get up to 120 miles distance for a tow (for all vehicles not just motorcycles). I've used it once in the 4 years I've had the coverage and it paid for itself. I believe the standard AAA and HOG plans only allow <=50 miles.
I'm curious where some of you guys are located. I'm in southern california and AAA charges me an extra $27 (over the standard membership fee) for the RV package. And it is good for up to four tows of up to 200 miles each. And that is regardless of where the tows occur within the contiguous 48.

You guys are paying $110 for the RV package?

Quick Reply: hog membership dues