General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hog membership dues

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: hog membership dues

ORIGINAL: Kolni

As far as the road service goes, why not get AAA? I have AAA alone for just $55.
Bingo. Thats what I have.
And I have my bike covered under Gieco Insurance. Yes I have AAA roadside on all my cars and motorcycle.
So much for that.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I think you're right about cliques... I joined, but have not attended a meeting. Recently I met a couple at a bar that are members of the HOG chapter I joined. They admitted that they have their "own group within the group (HOG)"that rides. WTF?

Old 12-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Ahh, but AAA is a bit different.
AAA requires you to be a 'club member' which is their roadside assistance before you can buy any insurance from them
Yeah, that's the program I am talking about. I have AAA on the cage.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:25 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb
Excerpt from last bullet point on towing restrictions:
Motorcycles and scooters are not eligible for towing or battery jumps.
I did not know this. I thought it was a re-imbrustment type program.

I have a Golden Oaks policy on the bike and that is what it has.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:41 AM
azhole
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I joined for the roadside assistance program and if I need the 10% off at local dealer, but I rarely buy at the local dealer anymore, and my cousin and I bought a motorcycle trailer cheap and fixed it up so it's in pretty good shape, and he's retired so he can come get me whenever I need We still need to put a hitch and light hook up on my van though. so we have it all covered.

One thing about the roadside from HOG, road america, is it's only $100 tow coverage, but it can be used on any bike, so if your buddy needs it, and it's at the end of the year, you may as well use it. For the additional fee you get unlimited? roadside, but you must register the bike, you can register up to two different bike to be covered for this extended coverage, so now you're limited.
The HOG member I spoke with said that they "emphasize safety" when they ride, but I don't want to be lined up like a little soldier trooping down the road. I want to wander and look around, that's what I do, and that's why I take the tail position when I ride with a small group. I don't 'ride' to see how fast I can get there, or how orderly I can do it. I just ride, and if I want to stop and look at something I do. I guess that's why I'm alone 90% of the time

As for AAA, I called and they said I had to have recreation vehicle plan for my bike to be covered and that was $110 a year, not $55. I will admit that the $110 a year isn't too bad for for good coverage, but how good is it, really. I was just checking and would have to see what the limitations are before I jumped on that wagon.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:47 AM
max290
Advanced

I don't know about everyone else, however, the two times that I used the Roadside assistance it took them, 7 hours to come out the 1st time, and they never showed up the second time. (had to call the dealer for a lift)The whole HOG membership, from my personal experience, sucks. Save your money!

Old 12-24-2007, 05:04 AM
lilrooster76
Tourer

Well I know where my money went to....It went to my bike being towed to the dealer after I put a nail in the rear tire

Old 12-24-2007, 06:44 AM
KraZeeInOhio
Advanced

You're right, to get AAA motorcycle coverage you need to upgrade to the RV plan @ 110.00 yr. But with that you get up to 120 miles distance for a tow (for all vehicles not just motorcycles). I've used it once in the 4 years I've had the coverage and it paid for itself. I believe the standard AAA and HOG plans only allow <=50 miles.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:31 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Join HOG....lol...waste of money.

I few back before I had AAA RV Plus...I had AMA motow...and when I had to get my bike towed it took forever. When it did get picked up, I was talking to the guy and he siad he used to tow for HOg and they don't pay crap so he doesn't work for them. HOG wants to pay $30-50 for a $100 tow...same he said with AMA motow. He told me they had to basically beg to get this guy to pick up my bike because AMA doesn't pay squat either. I found all this very interesting...makes you wonder who is going to pick up your bike.

Now with AAA RV Plus, which I have used a few times. I had no issues and you get the first 100 miles free. Now the RV plus isn't cheap per year versus AAA's regular plan but it is worth every penny.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

HOG membership is what you make of it. How many clubs have you joined that you felt you got a good value for your dues? My guess in none!

Local clubs depend on dealers. If you have adealer looks at the chapter as an asset it is a good club, if they look atitas a liability the club will suck. Yes, some are very clickie.

Years back you elected officers now they are apointed by the dealer. We can't have poker runs anymore because the state says it is gambling! When we joined everyone was a rider, went on rides with no plan or destination. Now you have to have written directions to and from events, with gas, bathroom stops. Of course you have the new riders that bought all the new leather and can't turn around in a parking lot!

We belong to 2 local chapters because we have friends in both. We have made friends all over the country that would not have happened without HOG. We ran into a couple that were headed home from a rally going our way. We rode together for 2 days got off the same exit to go home. Turned out we lived only a mile from each other. We have riden thousands of miles with them and have the best memories and laughs.

The best part of HOG is the people that participate. Some rallies we have attended were not really that much fun, however all the people that were there made it worth it and we had a blast.

Quick Reply: hog membership dues