General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hog membership dues

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:12 PM
DDGLIDER
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hog membership dues

i joined for roadside and discount at dealer, but after realizing HD really means "hundred dollars", i started buying from JP Cycles. join their club, and you can realize decent savings! i dont attend the meetings either

Old 12-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know many people that love the local HOG chapter but it is very hard for a newbie to fit in. Most of the rides are with several bikes and I prefer to keep the herd to a smaller number.

I have got blasted for this in the past but I think the state HOG events should be free to members. You are a national member but yet you have to pay extra (they give you a shirt) to get into the state events. As for HOG Tales, they can save some paper and a stamp on that.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:03 PM
DynaDave1450
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some morons like paying dues to get a map and enter contest and to be rewarded with a 5 cent badge,2 dollar patch and put a million miles on your scoot in a year so they can have their name published in a mag. and far as roadside assitance who gives a crap.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a member of national for roadside even though I also get roadside from my insurance.
I'd rather not be stranded. I also get a few minutes enjoyment from reading the magazines they send.

Local, I did for 2 years, but realized that I still get a better deal from Chicago HD or Zanottis, and never ever went on their food rides.
I tried to make friends, and everyone was nice enough but they all had their own clique and I just didn't fit in.
Fine with me, because I like to ride alone or with jut a few people tops.

Oh, and about where the money goes... It's not like it's that much money. $60 for national and $20 for local.
Can't buy much for $60 these days.

I'd say it pays for salaries of the HOG business, magazines and distribution, the events each year, advertising, and patches/pins/paperwork. Most of your $60 probably goes to the roadside assistance. It's cheaper than AAA which is non-profit. Not sure if HOG is for profit or not.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: DragonsBreath

Let see there is all the pins and patches they give away for the different stuff like Mileage Contest, ABC Picture Contest and all the pin stop rallies.
"Made in China" pins are about 1000/$1, if not cheaper.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Kolni
Banned

As far as the road service goes, why not get AAA? I have AAA alone for just $55.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:55 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Local dues more than pay's for itself as we have a free Hog Roast in July, and a free Christmas Party in December. Can't beat that as far as I am concerned,

Old 12-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Kolni

As far as the road service goes, why not get AAA? I have AAA alone for just $55.
Kolni,

Are you sure you have bike coverage from AAA? Last I checked it was limited offering only in CA, and even most of the US and was a separate coverage from 4 wheeled vehicles.

I'll have to check again.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Kolni
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

ORIGINAL: Kolni

Kolni,

Are you sure you have bike coverage from AAA? Last I checked it was limited offering only in CA, and even most of the US and was a separate coverage from 4 wheeled vehicles.

I'll have to check again.
Every insurance quote I got always had road side asst available with full coverage.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

Ahh, but AAA is a bit different.
AAA requires you to be a 'club member' which is their roadside assistance before you can buy any insurance from them
I'm not saying that you don't have roadside for the bike, but I am saying to check it out.

I have emailed my agent to see.

From AAA.com
http://www.csaa.com/portal/site/CSAA...00c512daceRCRD

Excerpt from last bullet point on towing restrictions:
Motorcycles and scooters are not eligible for towing or battery jumps.

Of course I just found this which contradicts the other...

Roadside Assistance Coverage
Motorcycle Roadside Assistance coverage is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. Coverage is automatically applied to street-legal motorcycles that have comprehensive and collision coverages. Coverage provides towing to the nearest qualified repair facility and necessary labor at the time and place of the disablement. Coverage is extended to trailers being towed by a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: hog membership dues