General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:51 PM
AzDon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First motorcycle

I've been looking around for a cool smaller motorcycle in the 250-450cc range that would be a good first bike for my son.
The closest thing I can find to my definition of cool cruiser in a good size for a beginner is the 250 Virago. I like that it is a v-twin cruiser with a step seat, but I wish it was about 400cc and I loathe that it's oriental. Bluntly, it looks like what you get when the styling of a Sportster is translated to Japanese!
Would it be a bad thing if HD made a 2/3 sized Sportster so that the progeny of HD worshippers would be able to ride the real thing instead of poor imported copies?
If HD decided to offer a 2/3 size Sportster custom tomorrow, I'd buy two of them in a heartbeat! One for my son and one for me (after my wife decides not to ride it!)
I think a product offering should have a new name to distinguish it from the Sportster. I'm thinkin it should come in a 380 (38 special) and a 440 (mag) and the line could be called Bobster!
Thoughts?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 PM
4merRacer
Road Master
Default RE: First motorcycle

I don't think size is as much an issue as cost when dealing with cruisers. Many will say a 1000 cc sport bike is not a wise choice for a first bike but cruisers don't exactly have the risks associated with engine size. I think a 600 cc cruiser is just fine.As for being "oriental," don't kid yourself. The engineering of jap bikes is at least equal to that of american products. LOVE my fatboy but still respect the technology and close tolerances built into my previous rides.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some cool standards out there too... I picked up a KZ305 for my first. Don't know how old, or... cordinated your son is... but most of us grow out of the smaller bikes pretty quick... I mean... would you really want to drop even 6k on a bike that your sone would be bored with after six months? Get a cheap Jap bike in the 250-750cc range cheap, something dropable... Then get him in a harley. IMHO first bike is just for learning... and then he'll appreciate the Harley later...

Old 12-23-2007, 03:18 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a honda 250cc rebel. That was a great little bike, and has a look similar to a very small softail. In fact, it was stoled one night, and when I got it back, you could see where the guy thought it was a HD because he tried to start the bike using the gas cap that had a keyed lock, LOL. Check them out. You can pick one up for less than $2k, used. Hell, when I got mine in '87, it was new and cost less than $2k.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:08 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Too bad you haven't kept up with what's been going on. That Jap crap they made years ago has turned into some pretty good Jap stuff.

I think that Harley figures the Sportster is their 2/3 size bike.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:28 AM
throttlejunkie
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was going to get my wife a rebel, but after the riding course she just laughed at me. she was bored with it after that weekend. i bought her a used vulcan 500 for her first bike and she loved it. she rode it about 6 months before moving up a bit more.
good luck
dave

Old 12-23-2007, 05:31 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go for an used 883 custom sporty. If you're on a budget, then get him a Shadow VTX from honda for starters.

Mimo.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:37 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe I missed something but I don't think the OP was knocking the quality of imports, he was just saying he preferred HD. Lord knows I didn't buy my HD for the quality. That was way down on my list of reasons.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:51 AM
2ForTheRoad
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that is the bike I took my safety course with (provided by the school). It was fun and solid little bike. Your son would love it. Like others said, learn first, then move up to a Harley.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:12 AM
AzDon
Tourer

The 250 Virago is capable (supposedly) of extended cruise speeds in excess of 80 mph, so i'm not averse to the suitability, I just wish HD made a competing product....
I've always tried to instill in my kids that in this family, we buy American, whenever possible. Neither of my kids has ever owned or driven anything but an American car. I hate having no American choices to endorse for my son's milestone first motorcycle. It seems to me that HD makes the decision to lose the kids to the oriental brands by not offering the entry-level products necessary for learning. My son had never driven a stick shifted car before yesterday, so the idea of putting him on a Sportster (or any motorcycle)is NOT happening until he masters standard shift.

Quick Reply: First motorcycle