General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:30 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: First motorcycle

My wife who had never ridden a motorcycle before but was good with a standard trans took the safety course this summer on the school's 250 rebel. Got her license/endorsement.

She turned right around and took the intermediate course on our Deuce and did great. I rode the Deuce to the course and they taught her to ride it. She rode it home and I followed in the cage she had taken to class.

The next day she hopped on our Wide Glide and is really good with it. It's now "her" bike.

You can't beat that training.

Just my $.02.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:02 AM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer has a used royal enfield (500cc) don't know a lot about the brand but it is a neat looking bike. Thought about getting it for myself.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:42 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If ya "loathe oriental", about your only choice is a Buell Blast. Not a cruiser, not cool, but American made and a good learning bike.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:51 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Did any one think of a Buell Blast as a first bike, and that is in the Harley family

Old 12-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: OldPhat

Did any one think of a Buell Blast as a first bike, and that is in the Harley family
No. I knew a girl who gave up on fixing an old Triumph and picked one up for 3k. Little yellow plastic thing. Slowest thing ever. Could barely do highway, which might be fine. Although, her 6'3" boyfriend would ride b!tch with her. Pretty funny. She dropped it a few times, took the drops okay. Not a bad choice to pick up used.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:20 AM
pepesworld
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always thought a sportster version of the "Blast" would be a good idea; a true starter bike, and the only American starter bike. I have had Hondas, and Yamahas, and found that the yamahas are great bikes. Any of the old viragos aregood...250, 535, 750, 1100. They allare sort of an outdated chopper imatation. Also the more current Vstar 650...looks like a fat boy, weighs 200 lbs less, cankeep up with the big bikes, can be had for $4000 in used perfect shape. Also makes a good spare/guest bike.
I have ridden several of the honda cruiser types: Rebel 250, 450, and the larger cruisers 750, 1100. They havepoor front end geometry, and are awkwardin low speed turns. A beginner will almost always drop these bikes in parking lots, and likely have low speed crashes. At highway speeds they are fine. The Honda "CB" series however, are well ballanced. A possible cool starter bike would be an old (mid 1970s) Honda cb500, or cb550. Cool old bikes, classic look, reliable, can be had for under $2000 in perfect low mile condition, and will possibly increase in value. check EBAY....most seem to be in the eastern states.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:22 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

The big bore cylinder, and a pipe will make the Blast a little faster. Get one for a kid and let them ride the wheels off of it, they will learn more ridin a slow bike then a rocket bike.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:08 PM
AzDon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buell Blast?
I did some web surfing to have a look and it really isn't what I'd expect as a representation of HD..... In fact it's kinda gross!
492 cc single for $4700 Hmmm...

My son's surfing found a 650 cc single for $4400 that actually looks like a Harley, and guess what it is....

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/S40K8/Default.aspx

This looks like something I'd like to have for myself if it wasn't Japanese.... Drag bars, short,fat rear tire, tall,skinny front tire, forward controls, tank-mount speedo, etc.
I'm going to lose a bit of sleep over spending this money to Japan...

Old 12-25-2007, 04:40 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I know a few people that own the Honda Rebel's and the Virago 250's, and it's just my opinion, but having ridden both I much prefer the Virago 250.

The Virago has a great little v-twin engine that actually sounds pretty nice, and feels much more comfortable with the forward controls. They will cruise at 70+ MPH all day long. I believe the bike weighs in at just a little over 250 pounds, with an engine rated at 34 horsepower. The power difference between the Rebel and Virago is very noticeable, especially if the bike is used for more than just running around town. The Virago 250 always gets very high marks when compared to other smaller 250cc Cruisers, both in overall performance, handling, and comfort. They look and sound like a small Harley, and many people are fooled when they see one going down the road.

You can pick up a good Virago 250 for $2,500 or less, and turn around and sell it for about the same if you decide to go with something larger.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:23 PM
tplyons
Tourer

Are you making him take the MSF course?

Honestly, I drove stick maybe twice in my life before getting on a bike at the MSF course. Taught me how to run through the gears without a problem.

I translated that knowledge and jumped in a 14,000 lb. flatbed at work to teach myself standard in a truck.

Now, I can't stand automatics.

Quick Reply: First motorcycle