General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problems with using 10% ethanol?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:48 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Any problems with using 10% ethanol?

The majority of times I fill up the Fat Boy, in town, is at a station, that I just noticed had stickers stating "10% ethanol". I don't know if they just started using Ethanol or I never noticed the sticker. The reason I have been using this station was that they have separate hoses for each octane rating. That way I figure I am getting all premium.
Has anyone had a bad experience using gas that has 10% ethanol, in their Harley's.
Tom

Old 12-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Any problems with using 10% ethanol?

I'm curious as well, we get our 10% ethanol in April of 08

Old 12-22-2007, 08:58 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem here, other than milage may be down on a tank. Over 10% think about rejet or remap.
Ron

Old 12-22-2007, 09:02 AM
LKHA
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problem at all. fuel mileage does not drop and the dealer that I bought bike at in MN said no issues with 10% hopes this helps

Old 12-22-2007, 09:52 AM
WGRIDER
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems here in VA.
Been running 10% since day one.
Hard to find non 10%.
Over 20k miles on WG.
Hope this helps you.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problems 157,000 on FLHT,

Old 12-22-2007, 10:16 AM
CAPTIAN BUZZ
Cruiser

No problems here. I'm with you on the multiple hose pumps. The one hose pumps you get at least what is in the hose of what ever the person before you used (most likely lower grade gas).

Old 12-22-2007, 11:38 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In rare examples, if you are on the ragged edge of vapor lock or being too lean, 10%alcohol (ethanol)added to fuel could push you over the edge. Also, you will notice a slight decrease in fuel mileage. Other then this, no problems ifthe stationsells enough of it, alcohol does separate from fuel if stored for long periods of time, not good, but again not common.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:20 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

IIRC the owners or service manual says to not use any fuel with more than 10% ethenol.....I have never seen a pump in the NYC/North Jersey area with a listing of more than 10% though.

As far as stations with one hose for all grades. If you want to be 100% sure your getting all 93 octane or whatever.....just wait until you see a car in front of you getting the super and then fill up right after him.....u know what i am saying.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Hops
Outstanding HDF Member

Hess is the only Branded stations at this time that have the 10% ethanol here in middle FL. Gas that comes out of Tampa covers from Gainesville to Ft Myers, and coast to coast. Pilot truck stops and Race Track are also using the ethanol. Some of the Unbranded stations could be using it as well, I think Sam's club andWalmart are usingalso.Most of the other terminals will start adding ethanol shortly. The ethanol has been eating away the plastic sight glasses on the trailers. As far as the separate hose deal, I guess if it makes you feel better, that is all that matters. But I don't see much of an issue. The octane rating on the pump is supposed to be the minimum rating for the particular grade.
ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

The majority of times I fill up the Fat Boy, in town, is at a station, that I just noticed had stickers stating "10% ethanol". I don't know if they just started using Ethanol or I never noticed the sticker. The reason I have been using this station was that they have separate hoses for each octane rating. That way I figure I am getting all premium.
Has anyone had a bad experience using gas that has 10% ethanol, in their Harley's.
Tom

Quick Reply: Any problems with using 10% ethanol?