Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$$$ Markup on aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $$$ Markup on aftermarket parts?

How much do dealers/shops mark up thier aftermarket parts?

I'm not talking about HD Parts.... I mean all the true aftermarket stuff such as Kury, Vance and Hines, Mustang etc.

I would assume that the markup is actually not that high since there is so little variation in price from place to place. Nearly everyone stays right around msrp on their prices. Then again.... I know that the aftermartket parts is what keeps so many little shops in business, so there must be some decent money in it.

When I go and buy a set of Vance and Hines Pipes from my local shop for $800, how much do THEY pay for those pipes and how much profit are they really going to see after shipping costs etc.?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:17 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Default RE: $$$ Markup on aftermarket parts?

The distributors give dealers confidential price lists. They include the price that the dealer pays and then suggested retail that the dealer should sell the part at. Most dealers follow what the distributor puts down for suggested retail. Without the books in front me I think it is something like 35% markup. Also usually when you buy aftermarket parts from a dealer, they charge you the shipping charge that the distributor charged them.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Usual retail markup is 50% to 100% and may be more or less depending. Most retailers that I have known charge on the high end.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Todd T
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On top of what has already been said, any manufacturer or distributer worth their salt will setup a dealer network and not allow dealer to slash prices below a set point. This is done to keep dealers from cutting each other's throats. especially ones that do not maintain a store front and sell through e-commerce channels (ebay for example). I dealer with a building, employees and a stocked inventory cannot compete with a drop shipper working for himself or a power buyer allowed to discount below wholesale. like I said, any distributor worth their salt will not allow this sort of sniping amungst its dealers.

They will also set up territories the dealers are not allowed to cross or tarrifs for when they do.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 PM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cwboyscooby
When I go and buy a set of Vance and Hines Pipes from my local shop for $800, how much do THEY pay for those pipes and how much profit are they really going to see after shipping costs etc.?
After paying rent, utilities, insurance, individual health insurance, advertising, worker's comp, social security, return shipping on every part damaged by a customer, donations to everylocalbikerfundraiser, driving in at eleven at night to open up for a downed biker, etc., about $9.70. Ray