General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to buy new harley?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:01 PM
pawnee32
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to buy new harley?

My friend wants to buy a new harley. When is the best time to buy....or does it matter, since they don't come off the MSRP anyway? Does anyone know of any rebates in the future or other suggestions?

Old 12-21-2007, 01:03 PM
mattw275
Cruiser
Default RE: When to buy new harley?

Buy as soon as you can afford it. Then spend the next few years afterward keepin' on buyin'. there is alot of cool stuff out there made just for your new ride....

Old 12-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Idiot
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the time of purchase makes that big of a deal, although dealers do throw a few purchase incentives at you in the winter. Rather than negotiate on price, I'd negotiate on having them waive fees (freight, set-up, processing) and maybe ask for some store credit with the purchase.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:10 PM
a2000
Advanced

Well, here in the snowy Midwest where almost nobody is riding, I believe the dealers are hungry to sell and willing to deal.
I bought a 2008 Road King last week and got $1,000 off of MSRP. Of course, I also purchased some extras and got 20% off with no qualifying dealer HOG chapter membership. I did do a bit of shopping and comparison and the dealers were all pretty anxious to try to make something happen.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:15 PM
pawnee32
Novice

Thanks, guys...Here in the Southeast the dealersaren't eager to discount at all. The only thing I've noticed from other friends is, if you purchase a 2007, they will sometimes give you a gift certificate.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Now is a good time to buy because some dealers are selling left 2007 models below msrp.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on the area and what the dealer wants to move at any particular time.

I was in negotiation for a 2008 Road King (since changed my mind). Bike will hit dealership early January and sales dept wants to move it quickly because it's a pretty slow time for them here in the Northeast. This particular dealership was consistently at "MSRP plus", and then freight, set-up fee, documentation fee, and they'd add on some accessorites as soon as the bike hit the floor.

Deal was MSRP and freight, no setup fees, no documentation fee. I provided a list of accessories that I wanted V&H True Dual Headers, mufflers, sert, etc, and they discounted all parts by 15% and labor by 12%. Iknow if I pushed it further they would havewaivedthe extra cost for color and thrown in $500 store credit.

I expect they would do even better and go below MSRP on a left-over '07 but they didn't have what I was looking for.

They offered pretty much what other dealers offered for my trade-in.

The deal breaker for me was the low trade-in value of my bike. I fully understand why they offered what they did,I just didn't want to loose that much. And the Low Rider is pretty much the way I want it with the exception of handlebars.

Bottom-line, get out there and seewhat they'll do for you.

Sammi

Old 12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 65 Posts
Default RE: When to buy new Harley?

Just bought a pair. A Deluxe for Wife, an E-Glide for me. Here in So. Cal. the riding season is year long, so there isn't really a good or bad time to buy. We paid MSRP for the scoots, and got a $600 credit on 'goodies' for each bike, an additional $200 for clothes, and 15% off on parts for the bikes when we bought them. Still cost just over $40,000 for both out the door, but what the hell.....

Old 12-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Right now in the southeast, they got 0 down, no payments for 6 months and are pretty hungry to deal, especially 07 stock. Sounds like a pretty good time to me

Bubba

Old 12-21-2007, 03:30 PM
beerguytx
Cruiser

NOW

Quick Reply: When to buy new harley?