General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Your Bike Too Loud?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts
Default RE: Is Your Bike Too Loud?

I have had ALL my bikes noise tested by local police depts in co operation with the Mass Motorcycle Association and I keep the certification documents on the bikes at all times.

Salem Mass did a clinic a few years ago because guys were revving thier bikes on Bridge Street after comming over the bridge from Beverly. We all do it sitting at lights right?

So I was riding my GPz550 that day and got some real dirty looks from the V Twin crowd. One guy blew 127db on his S&S powered chopper. Wonder why we get a bad rep..but I digress.

My little factory piped inline 4 came in 1 db under the legal limit. What that tells me is that the laws are unreasonably tight.

The ZRX was tested this summer by the Billerica MA PD with the Hindle pipe on it and it passed no problemo.

When I get the Rineharts/ Ness/ PowerCommander setup done on the EG I'll get that tested too.

Many places here have purchased noise meters and will pull you over and test the bike. Aftermarket pipes are not illegal but noise is.
they CAN NOT CITE YOU WITHOUT THE TEST! Mass Motorcycle Assn made sure of that, since in Newburyport they were citing parked bikes for noise violations because of aftermarket pipes. Thank God that A**H0le cop is gone, but Newburyport continues to be BIKER UNFRIENDLY

Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LT753

Wait a minute, I am the Police. Yes I do have loud pipes. Yes I do go armed. Well alcohol, I'll just plead the fifth. "Jack if you don't mind."

Lynn
Hehehehee!! But.... Are you beligerent? I think we're all beligerent, right? As I grin and show one of our HR ladies, pictures of my one year old.. Yeah I'm a mean tough biker criminal... Sure, and the Hilderbeast isn't a communist. hehehehehe

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 01-04-2006, 12:42 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: LOTHAR

I have a little common sense. Very little. I have stock pipes but am now forced to go semi-loud to **** off a pinko liberal group of whiners.[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

I think you are taking my message the wrong way.
I have a set of Hooker pipes coming for my Train, and I want them loud. The point is that I won't be tearing up somebody's quiet neighborhood, I won't be terrorizing seniors and I will use a little common sense as to where I do tear it up. In places which are not appropriate for a handful of throttle, I'll be taking it easy.
Pretty simple really, it's called consideration for others. If everybody practices this, instead of getting on the silly political bandwagon, we'll be able to enjoy our Harley sound for years to come, without any problems from the police or the ...um...Liberal pinkos...

Old 01-04-2006, 12:43 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no such thing as a bike being to loud not now not ever.you know just because we are a better class of people they always giving us a bad time and all they got to do is go get there own bike and they will be a better class them selfes .

Old 01-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: darkside

More rich white folks trying to make America just how they like it. F- the rest of us since apparently they have all the time in the world to go on these crusades against us. I do however feel we need to pay attention to people like this .They are the ones infringing on our right to ride free . I personally loved the line about some people lacking the "sophistication" to get the police and legislature to stop all of us drunk belligerant drug addicts from making noise.remember the rich squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I seriously doubt this guy is rich.. He's too narrow minded, weak, frail and whiney. Crybabies like this noiseoff guy stay poor and whine at the rest of the world achieving success around them. oops.. Did I say that.. sorry.. I'm being beligerent I guess. hehehe I'd say he's just a squeaky wheel.. If he were rich, he'd have better things to do with his time.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: George C

I have a little common sense. Very little. I have stock pipes but am now forced to go semi-loud to **** off a pinko liberal group of whiners.[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

I have a set of Hooker pipes coming for my Train, and I want them loud. The point is that I won't be tearing up somebody's quiet neighborhood, I won't be terrorizing seniors and I will use a little common sense as to where I do tear it up. In places which are not appropriate for a handful of throttle, I'll be taking it easy.
Pretty simple really, it's called consideration for others. If everybody practices this, instead of getting on the silly political bandwagon, we'll be able to enjoy our Harley sound for years to come, without any problems from the police or the ...um...Liberal pinkos...
George C.. Absolutely.. Couldn't agree more. Well said! [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
It's all about being considerate and having some respect. I rip it up on the open road but I putt putt through the neighborhoods, treating those folks as I would want to be treated.. And I've got some rineharts that are fairly loud.. It's all about responsible throttle use. I do kind of agree with Lothar though in one sense that liberty should not submit to the whining masses.. But I'm going to do it at the ballot, instead of their neighborhoods.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Neggy ZRXOA 5248

I have had ALL my bikes noise tested by local police depts in co operation with the Mass Motorcycle Association and I keep the certification documents on the bikes at all times.

Salem Mass did a clinic a few years ago because guys were revving thier bikes on Bridge Street after comming over the bridge from Beverly. We all do it sitting at lights right?

So I was riding my GPz550 that day and got some real dirty looks from the V Twin crowd. One guy blew 127db on his S&S powered chopper. Wonder why we get a bad rep..but I digress.

My little factory piped inline 4 came in 1 db under the legal limit. What that tells me is that the laws are unreasonably tight.

The ZRX was tested this summer by the Billerica MA PD with the Hindle pipe on it and it passed no problemo.

When I get the Rineharts/ Ness/ PowerCommander setup done on the EG I'll get that tested too.

Many places here have purchased noise meters and will pull you over and test the bike. Aftermarket pipes are not illegal but noise is.
they CAN NOT CITE YOU WITHOUT THE TEST! Mass Motorcycle Assn made sure of that, since in Newburyport they were citing parked bikes for noise violations because of aftermarket pipes. Thank God that A**H0le cop is gone, but Newburyport continues to be BIKER UNFRIENDLY
The state of Kerry and Kennedy and Ally McBeal and Boston Legal. hehe "Danny Crane". I'm surprised the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts even allows bikes, except for the little red commie bicycles with flowers and a nice little white basket and a "ching ching" bell on it. hehehehe.. sorry guys. Lemme know if I'm over the top. [8D]

Old 01-04-2006, 02:02 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: George C

It's called common sense and being a good citizen. I disagree with your premise that a LOT of bikers are jerks. I think on a percentage basis, there are more Methodists or left-handed lesbians that are jerks than bikers. My .02 centavos. No one advocates harshing someone elses mellow.[sm=gears.gif]

Old 01-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Just before some of my freinds go out and burn down a village and beat up some tough peploe at a retirement home(which is already decided) the next impossible task is trying to decide where were going to eat.
TOO LOUD YOU SAY. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 01-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Tn.Heritage

Just before some of my freinds go out and burn down a village and beat up some tough peploe at a retirement home(which is already decided) the next impossible task is trying to decide where were going to eat.
TOO LOUD YOU SAY. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
And that is the one thing that the guys never can decide on.. The route is usually easy.

Quick Reply: Is Your Bike Too Loud?