General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charity Refuses Donation From Bike Run

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:42 AM
eglidebob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charity Refuses Donation From Bike Run

All I can say is...wow!! Just sitting here shaking my head. I have participated in many charity events to raise funds for everything from MDA to the Cleveland Clinic and everyone of them were very, very appreciative. There is nothing more humbling and heart warming than to pull into a hospital with 3000 of your closest freinds on all makes and brands of bikes and see literally thousands of doctors, nurses, and patients smiling and aplauding. You would think that the Sunshine foundation could have at least had the ***** to let the event orginizers know far enough in advance so that they could have found aonother orginization willing to accept their money and kindness. Wow......

Old 12-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Asmodeus
Tourer

Screw 'em... Absolutely 100% their loss... There are more than enough charities and causes out there that appreciate the support... Even if it's just handing over the check to a local soup kitchen...

Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Lonsberry said foundation officials told him the motorcycle ride involved members of criminal biker gangs.
While Lonsberry said biker gang members could be among those participating in the event, he said ride organizers enforced a rule that no gang colours or clothing were allowed.

This isn't so surprising, unfortunately. Canada has had some highly publicized situations for years with criminal gang activity. It is too bad, however, thatit has to reflect on the entire biking community, including other mc's.

Here's a picture from our local Toys for Tots. Typically, over $12,000 per year raised, plus each biker brings a toy. All are welcome to ride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/20A9C32C42764A09BEC7B4457FFDBEF9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/563F1D0CBB8648DFA48717862B4115E2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/9A9AE649445C4AABBA48ABCDD12BE9AE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-20-2007, 08:58 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HogBoy

Just goes to reinforce the notion of how far we all have to go (I'm not talking about the biker population here.) Interesting how people form opinions based on no experience, treat it as gospel, and aren't open to any different explanation of reality.

There's no more stubborn believer than the one whose beliefs are based on the believer's ego alone: the stronger the facts against his prejudices, the bigger and stronger the ego becomes. And since you have a finite amount of facts and common sense, while ego can grow indefinitely, you've got no chance of making such a person seeing the light through direct confrontation.

A simple, non-confrontational, open question is usually a better way.
"Just out of curiosity, why do you think that riding a motorcycle will make a worst person of somebody than driving a car will do?"
or echo a stupid question with a comic-stupid one. Usually people gets it and understand they are being stupid and, on the worst scenario, you'd still make fun of them:
"aren't all bikers thugs, or other bikers won't let them on the streets?"
" I don't know, madam, I ride with a licence, you think I should ask other bikers if they let me ride on the streets?"
Or "Oh, don't worry. I'm not allowed on the street, only ride in my lawn, so I guess I'm ok".

I always carry a smal knife (2" blade) to do my daily chores at office: open letters, packs, the incredibly tough packages of electronic equipment, eat lunch and such. A co-worker sees me eating pizza with it and asks
"Hey, do you use that to kill people?"
"Haven't killed anybody with it today. Yet." was my answer.Whe had a laugh and he got the message: don't be a jerk.
Another couple I've used on similar occasions go "It's your lucky day: I'm on holiday" or "I adhere to the national hitman strike to protest against current low mafia wages"

Old 12-20-2007, 09:11 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The Sunshine Foundations(CEO)? must be a real dumb @$$ Just find another charity. I`m sure that the money will be put to good use. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HARLEY NEW YEAR.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:32 AM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Big Sled

I was talking to a lady Monday evening at ballroom dance class and when she heardI ride a bike she was shocked. Her husband, an orthopedic surgeon, told her that all bikers are suicidal and he is tired of repairing their damage (referred to rocket jockies)... and, "aren't all bikers thugs, or other bikers won't let them on the streets?"Explained my biking but her mind was closed to any diverse thought outside her personal culture and biases... She and others have been, are, and will be frightened about and will actively discriminate against something they don't understand. Too bad, but at the end of the day it's just no biggie to me[sm=biker2.gif]!!!
Most folks around here don't think bikers are nasty dirty people... Just try explaining to a hippie why you reload your own ammunition and build your own rifles...then the conversation goes south.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: wallyn

I bet the Run will raise even more money next year now.

Their board of directors list is here. Darn Canadians, I guess you can say their decision was unamerican ... http://www.sunshine.ca/about/directors/#1
Hey????? Don't be pickin' on us Canucks, I'm damn proud to be a Canadian..............On the other hand, I'm damn embarrassed that the Canadian division of this Sunshine outfit (they have Chapters all over North America now) would bethat stupid. .

Thanks for the info Wally, I think I'll pop them off a quick email

Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 AM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No surprise there. Back in Oct. of 2001, we organized a "Ride for America" and had over 3,000 riders. Originally we were going to give proceeds to the Red Cross, but the director gave us a hard time. His line was: why do you have to do something dangerous like ride motorcycles? why can't you just have a golf outing? Proceeds went to Chicago mayor's 9/11 fund instead.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

National Director is

Gabriella.catolino@Sunshine.co

That came from their website

Bubba

Old 12-20-2007, 11:06 AM
wallyn
Road Captain

Sorry Canuck,
No offense ment, it was a late night rant.

Bikers love supporting charities in the same manner we would stop and help anyone on the side of the road in need.

Quick Reply: Charity Refuses Donation From Bike Run