General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My possible career advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Vinnie85FXWG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My possible career advice

After I graduate this year, I plan on hopefully going to MMI in Phoenix. What I want to know is, is there any future in becoming a mechanic, is the money decent, and anyone know anything about MMI? I know its a good school to become a certified harley mechanic, but I don't want to do something I will regret down the road. Thanks to all.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:31 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My possible career advice

Vinnie, i'm not sure what certified harley techs make but i am a bmw technician (cars not bikes) in the bay area, ca and i'm making 33 and hour flat rate. ends up around 90-110 a year depending how busy we are. never thought i could make this kind of money working on cars. get training and get into a high end car/bike line is my advice to you if want to work as a technician.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:52 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

My indie says he's not impressed with MMI (or similar) grads. Says thay could save a bundle of money by coming to work for him and learning things the right way from the ground up while actually making money rather than paying it. Too many MMI grads think they know it all upon graduation and don't necessaily know chit.

I'm guessing he's probably right.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:53 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

ORIGINAL: fj4069

Vinnie, i'm not sure what certified harley techs make but i am a bmw technician (cars not bikes) in the bay area, ca and i'm making 33 and hour flat rate. ends up around 90-110 a year depending how busy we are. never thought i could make this kind of money working on cars. get training and get into a high end car/bike line is my advice to you if want to work as a technician.
I think the key words here are HIGH END.

Chevrolet Parts Manager here, and I can tell you that none of our techs are making that kind of income.
Specialize.

MikeM

Old 12-19-2007, 06:00 PM
ohiosofttail06
Advanced

Not sure, but I think MMI is run by UTI, and if that is the case take what they tell you with a grain of salt. I have had numerous grads of them, and then their MB ELITE training after that, and they are fed a load of bull...
I have done well with it, but these kids are led to believe that after a year or so, they will make more than I have ever made (or at least the same)...Some other advise from their 'training' ...'don't talk to the older guys in the shop when you interview....they are wore out and bitter, and you are better than them anyway'...hmmm ....wonder why we are wore out and bitter???
Honestly..you will always work, and if you are one of the top guys and train the rest of your life to stay there ( and some of it can't be taught..you either have it or not), don't mind the tool expense (my last inventory was 92K) and LOVE working with your brain (first) and hands(second), then you can make a good living, as fj said. Also, remember, it is very regional, salaries vary a LOT around the country, sometimes less is more too, when comparing cost of living..
If you have questions ...PM me

Old 12-19-2007, 06:00 PM
SpringerDude
Tourer

How long is the MMI school and how much does it cost? Sometimes it's very helpful to be certified b/c some organizations like those kinds of things. I'm thinking that dealerships probably would like that more than indy shops. If it's super expensive, it might be more worthwhile to start working without the school and maybe you could pick up certifications later on. I really have no idea how it works....

Old 12-19-2007, 06:17 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

The top paid mechanics in the shop that I work at part time aren't making chit! They only get paid about $24-30k tops. Lots of in-fighting goes on too. Someone gets upset because the service writer gave them a tire and oil change and someone else got to rip apart an engine. Funny to watch sometimes, but.....

Old 12-19-2007, 06:18 PM
monsterdeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its your dream, pursue it. Know one else is going to do it for you. Plus you'll always know how to work on your own bike. That alone could save you thousands of dollars over a lifetime.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:38 PM
johnboy1958
Cruiser

Any education is better than none. I got my motorcycle mechanics certification from TSTI in 1977. I'm not a mechanic or "tech" as they call themselves today. I'm an iron worker in a structural steel fab shop. I somestimes help the maintanance guys out atthe shop.So I use my mechanics training around the shop, around my house and on my own cars andbikes. I help out friends when thier cars and bikes break.
I have a friend that is a mechanic ,OK, tech at the caddy dealership here that pulls in over $100,000 a year. But hehas that natural ability. Plus they send him to school on a regular basis to keep up with technology.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:50 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I would put $$$ into a college degree before MMI. MMI is a "diploma mill", and upon graduation you will enter the job market at $9.00-$13.00 a hour. There are some dealers out there that pay more but you will really have to seek them out. But after getting established and paying your dues in a dealership you can expect something around $27,000-$45,000 per year.
PM me for specifics if you desire.

Quick Reply: My possible career advice