General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My possible career advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:04 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: My possible career advice

JonnyD, not a problem. Its not cheap per se, but at the same time you'll definitely get out of it what you put in. Most of the intructors I had at UTI were very knowledgeable. Some were... ok. But all of them knew their stuff when it came to the class. For bikes, you may not be so heavy on electrical as we are on the automotive side, but its definitely there. Your multimeter will definitely be your friend as well. Mechanically, the systems on most bikes are pretty simple, although the metrics will be a bit trickier to master than say an HD would. Water cooling and overhead cam designs are the most obvious, but the basics of engine function diagnosis and repair are the same.

A great advantage regarding tools is the discount! UTI/MMI are sponsored by Snap On Tools and the campus should have an onsite rep. The tools are great but in my professional opinion overpriced. Matco tools are my prefered brand of tool and they offer a 50% off retail discount for 95% of the catalog for students in vocaltional training. I believe that Snap On's 50% off are on selected tools and sets only.. at least when I was a student. But to be honest, getting into the field there is not a damn thing wrong with Craftsman. You'll notice a difference between Craftsman and Matco/Snap On, but your first year in the field will tell you what professional series tools you'll need to invest in, and what tools you can get away with using Craftsman.

And for the dear love of GOD, please DO NOT buy a huge toolbox off the trucks! Your going to want to wait at least a couple of years before that enters your mind. Most entry level Matco and Snap on Boxes start at about $4k! $4k will buy you MOST of the essential tools you'll need to get started and have a nice array of tools. everything after that will be a matter of buying it to make you faster or to help make certain jobs easier.

I myself bought a basic Matco toolcart with locking top while in school 2 years ago and yeah Im still using it! I added 3 drawers to it and it holds all my tools. Remember this, a tool box does NOT help you make money! looks nice sure but what good is a huge box when there arent any quality tools in it?

In my experience, Ingersol Rand makes hands down the best impact wrenches on the market. Snap on guns are flat out the most powerful guns you can get, but they have ZERO trigger control. its either full on or full off. Matco guns are Ingersol guns with different case designs and colors. I have an IR 2135 Titanium 1/2". Lots of torque, only weights 4 pounds and bullet proof. The max gun you'll prolly need on bikes are 3/8"s. A good solid torque wrench is necessary too. A 3/8"s wrench that can do ft/lbs and in/lbs is you sweetspot for bikes. Invest in a set of torx bits and hex bits as those seem to be very common.

You'll want to wait until midway through your classes to figure out if you need to invest in metric or standard tool sets. Ive seen guys with standard tools work on metric stuff and vise versa. but its usually nice to know what path you want to be on to make tool shopping easier. Again, Craftsman tools are great sets for entering the field and for the money you can get alot of tools. once you start breaking your tools, you'll know what you need to fork the cash out to get Matco/Snap on.

Anything else you need to have answered, PM me and Ill do my best to help you.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:54 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do on the PM.I would never spend $4K on a tool box. It's like having a nice house and using acardboard box for a tv stand! Thanks ebeattie.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 AM
fly_by_day
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get both standard and metric right away, you will use them both anyway

Old 04-21-2008, 07:53 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is always a future in anything you do well.