General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Helmet Debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACC Helmet Debate

Well.....

I was finally able to get through to ACC (Carbon Fiber Helmets) and as per my conversation there is no exchange required. In fact that was the first time the guy had even heard of it. The Federal Gov't mandated the replacement of the freon based foam with an environment friendly type. They are now using a water-based foam and during the testing they were having issues with the foam itself. It was actually bonding too tight and was causing issues with the end result of the foam. Also the company they obtain the foam from had some left over in a line that was actually grandfathered under the mandated change. After that was used they were not allowed to produce any more.

Any previous helmets that are out there in use which used the freon method need not be returned / exchanged. The freon had nothing to do with the helmet itself or it's abilities. Also, none of the water-based helmets were put out on the market before they fully complied with the DOT standards. The chart that was released (in another thread) was obtained during the testing phase. They do all their preliminary testing in house then send out for final testing (since it costs everytime to have it tested). The new helmet was tested a few times and the chart was during those tests.

So....if you have a Carbon Fiber Helmet that is DOT approved, whether it is the freon or water-based foam, then it is DOT approved. If you buy a DOT helmet from them now it will in fact be DOT approved.

Brian

Old 01-03-2006, 01:22 PM
mayday
Cruiser
Default RE: ACC Helmet Debate

Thanks for following up Brian.....that's good news all the way around. Now I just need them to get the polo style helmet into production as a Dot helmet.

Thanks again!!

Old 01-03-2006, 02:33 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian,

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:35 PM
NJSUPERGLIDE
Cruiser

Hi Brian,

Thanks alot for staying on top of that ! And to everyone else a big thanks. If we ever cross the same path I owe you a COLD beverage of your choice! I guess if there open today my helmet should be on the way. Glad that everything worked out ok for everyone. Thanks again.I will keep yu posted when i get mine.

Frank

Old 01-17-2006, 09:19 PM
NJSUPERGLIDE
Cruiser

Well I got my helmet today and it is great. It does have the new number on it ext-002 as it is the Dot approved model.I can't believe how light it is and it fits perfect.The GAZOO HEAD is gone.!!!. When i Saw the box at the door there was know way I thought there was a helmet in thereLOL.lJust need some of this deep freeze to go away and then test it out.Thanks again everyone for your help and recomendations .If you need a DOT helmet and can swing the cash go for it.

Regards

Frank