General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hwy 1 Miami to Key West, FL (novice rider)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Idiot
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hwy 1 Miami to Key West, FL (novice rider)

Has anyone ever ridden their bike from Miami to Key West? I'd like to know if this is something a novice rider can handle. Myself, wife and neighbor would like to rent bikes in Miami and ride down into the keys this winter. Approx. how may hours, about 2 w/out stops?

Any advice?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:07 AM
js124
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hwy 1 Miami to Key West, FL (novice rider)

I just road from NC to key west last week . The traffic in that area is stought . It wouldn't be the best for a novice . If you do do it take the turn pike .

Old 12-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

Its about 150 miles from Miami to Key West IIRC. Traffic is heavy around Miami down through Homestead. Traffic in Key Largo can be heavy as well. The rest isn't too bad.

You know your skill level. You'll have to decide about riding in that environment.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:29 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Depending on where you're at in Miami go over to RT 27 and take 997, it brings ya in on the back side of Homestead and hits 1 right at the outside of Florida City. From there you can skip 1 and take Card Sound Rd into Key Largo, pick 1 back up. From there ya just gotta watch the traffic. We've got a group going down on 1/26 if you're interested you're more then welcome to join us.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:45 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

It is not a bad ride but depending on the day be prepared to sit in traffic. The scenery is beautiful so make sure you set your riding "rules" before you depart because it is easy to get distracted. Plus you will need a place to park your scoots in KW once you get there. If you don't have a secure place the Westin (old Hilton) parking garage is very secure but pricey.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:00 AM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I rode it several timesback in the day '83-'87, when I was bendy and could straddle a crotch rocket for days at a time...lol. It is a nice ride, but as I recall, traffic can be heavy at times. Looking forward to riding it this spring on a planned trip down that way

Old 12-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sleepman54 gave good advice. being a novice - if your not prepared for "our" type of traffic then take the roads less traveled. hect, I live here and dade co. traffic scares the crap otta me. [:'(] our fla forum gang is planning a keys trip bout the end ofjan. maybe you'd like to join in??? check out our thread in members mtg members section.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 AM
tplyons
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been disgruntled doing it in an air conditioned cage, wouldn't want to do it on a bike.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 AM
js124
Tourer

Rent a bike in florida city and then drive from there . That way you have less dangerious traffic to contend with .

Old 12-18-2007, 11:10 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest October, late Feb or March, when the weather will put you in a different time and space. You will be worthless in less than 24 hours, and blown away in 48 hours. A novice should avoid Miami. Trailer to the upper Keys and ride from there. You will be riding 35 mpg much of the time with bursts to 55+. It's all good except don't accept drinks from friendly strangers. Use the "buddy system" at all times.

Don't tell your friends about the trip when you get home. They won't believe you and if they do, their envy will border on hate.

Quick Reply: Hwy 1 Miami to Key West, FL (novice rider)