General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM
harleybodei
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Wires

A friend of mine gave me a brand new set of 8mm (40 ohm) spark plug wires he was going to put on his worked 2003 Road King. I still have the stock set of wires on my basically stock bike and I was wondering if there were any advantages or disadvantages to installing these on my bike.
I am also unfamiliar with how to install them on my bike.
Any feedback?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 PM
coldbeerpirate
Cruiser
Default RE: Spark Plug Wires

I run 10mm Accel on all my bikes

Old 12-19-2007, 02:10 AM
stu07hd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a repair manual there may be a spec for resistance measured in ohms. Install should not be a big deal at all. Just remember to never pull on the wire, pull on the boot. When installing new ones there is a silicone lube you can use to ease removal in the future. You should be able to pick it up at any auto parts store.

You can check the resistance with a simple voltmeter and see what it shows on the new ones, then pull (or just disconnect at both ends and test your wire on your bike. I'm just guessing that there wont be a huge difference unless your ride has lots of miles on it. The resistance within the wire will cause the spark to be weaker the more resistance that there is. Also keep in mind that the length of the wire can affect the resistnace also. ie a longer wire will have more resistance than a shorter one. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:35 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a set of Taylor (well known in high performance auto circles) Thundervolt 50's and they seem fine. My only reservation with changing plug wires is that on these FI bikes the plug wire is a critical piece of the puzzel. There is some sort of electrical wave that runs to the plug via the plug wire and then is returned to the ECU for some purpose or not.

i think this video explains it better...not sure though

Old 12-19-2007, 06:16 AM
pkenyon1
Road Captain

I like high end audio...you would be amazed how much effect wiring and electrical supply has on sound quality.

Running lights and sockets on the same ring as your hi fi causes all sorts of 'noise pollution'.

Im sure picking better plug wires must have an advantage but I wonder why more focus is not given to it; I'm sure the stock wires are pretty damn basic!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 AM
harleybodei
Road Master

Yea, I am not worried about screwing up the EFI set-up because my bike is carbeurated. I just am not sure if there will be any advantage to changing it or if I should just wait till the stock one's are shot and then replace them.
I am not too crazy about making extra work for myself.[sm=exactly.gif][sm=confused06.gif]

Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Putting a set of Taylor 8mm wires on my wife's bike (because she wants pink wires, that's why). Hers is EFI too.

Anyway, found them through sumax (sumax.com). According to their site their wires are compatible with all HD ignitions. They have universal kits as well as specific kits cut to fit models and years up to current. They have contact info available if you want to confirm compatibility.

Pretty sure you'll be fine.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to run Taylor wires on my big block truck... No issues there at all. Had thought about running a set on my Sportster as well.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:09 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: harleybodei

A friend of mine gave me a brand new set of 8mm (40 ohm) spark plug wires he was going to put on his worked 2003 Road King. I still have the stock set of wires on my basically stock bike and I was wondering if there were any advantages or disadvantages to installing these on my bike.
I am also unfamiliar with how to install them on my bike.
Any feedback?
If your wires are over 2 to 3 years old (which it apears they are) its time to replace them!
just put them on!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:43 AM
harleybodei
Road Master

Really? You only get 2 to 3 years out of them.
I wasn't sure how long they last but I would have thought more than that.
But thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wires