General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honey, Do These Boots Make My Soles Look Fat? (Need Boot Recommendations)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:32 PM
stagolee
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honey, Do These Boots Make My Soles Look Fat? (Need Boot Recommendations)

Hey folks, here's the deal.

I need new boots (mens, size 12, wide foot). I ride everyday in the SF Bay Area and the weather can change dramatically in the space of 30 miles. I can be in cold drizzly rain in SF in the morning and find myself in a reasonably balmy San Jose mid-day scenario, only to be in the SF sub-arctic later that evening.

I want a boot that's waterPROOF, rubber-soled, and insulated against the cold - but not so much that my feet sweat off at high noon.

I have looked at the HD FXRG-2 boot and while I like it (Gore Tex Baby!), I am reluctant to drop $200 on it if there's a comparable boot out there for a better price.

I've also looked at the Red Wing (Gore Tex) boot, but that actually clocks in at $60 more expensive. At first blush, the HD boot actually looks like the better value.

I want my feet to stay warm and dry.

Any opinions on either of these boot options?

Any other boot suggestions?

Old 12-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Honey, Do These Boots Make My Soles Look Fat? (Need Boot Recommendations)

My last 2 pairs of boots have been cop boots. I wear size 13 that much leather gets heavy, especially when the bike is parked and you spend the day walking around a rally. I have found that "law enforcement" boots are much lighter and fit more like sneakers than boots. I'm currently wearing these but I paid way below the msrp at a local store.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:56 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: Honey, Do These Boots Make My Soles Look Fat? (Need Boot Recommendations)

www.cruiserworks.com

Best boots I've ever had.

Be careful of Goretex. The inner membrance will keep you dry, the the outer layer waterlogs. I bought a pair for teaching MSF in the rain, and they would weigh twice as much at the end of the day.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:18 PM
rguilbert
Cruiser

I just got these and I love them.
http://workingperson.com/products/22...ts_CA4823.html

Old 12-17-2007, 02:28 PM
krautrock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy of mine swears by the Chippewa boots he got from Fox Creek Leather ... I like the 9" Loggers, probably going to get a pair.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:33 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Sidi boots that have been certified waterproof by me. Very comfortable too, but quite pricey. I have had mine for about 8 years and used to wear them daily for many years. It's about time for a resole.
http://www.motorcycle.com/products/sidi-sympatex-touring-boots-2750.html

Old 12-17-2007, 02:49 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I have had a few mishaps over the years that require me to wear boots all the time for the ankle support, and just the general comfort. I been through them all Bates, Chippewa, Cochran....I will not go into the el cheepo brands, but I been there also.
Now after many many years of trial and error and real world experience, the only boot I will even consider is Danner. I have a pair of these for riding, and I love them. I have about 5 pairs of Danner Boots, that I use at different times of the year for different things. The only piece of advice I can give you if your thinking about Danner Boots is stick with models that are made with "stitch down" construction, so then can get new soles with no problem Danner also offers a re-crafting service where they will replace any worn parts.....after some years of use. Oh...if your looking for a inexpensive boot....dont stop here.....all the Danner's I own are in the $275-$300 range. OH...I forgot to say that ALL of Danner's high end "stitch down" boots are made in the good old USA....Portland, Oregon to be more precise.
Danner Boots

Old 12-17-2007, 03:48 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a pair of Redwing 970's Made in USA that I use most of the time. Be aware that newer 970's are made in china.

I also have a pair of Redwing insulated steel toes (Made in USA) that I had dyed black. They are flexible and warm.

Picked up a pair of Chippewa steel toes Made in USA recently that I am still breaking in.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:54 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dr.Martins. been wearing them for 20 years. that makes me sound old when i say that .

Old 12-17-2007, 04:07 PM
06train
Road Warrior

AAAAAAAAAAAYHH...You need help buying boots???

Quick Reply: Honey, Do These Boots Make My Soles Look Fat? (Need Boot Recommendations)