General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Then Came Bronson!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Rodent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Then Came Bronson!

I was just watching the series today. I have the whole series on DVD, from the pilot show through the final show. I picked up the DVD set at the Grand Rapids swapmeet show this past summer.
I remember growiing up having my azz glued to the tv set whenever the show came on.
Bonnie Bedelia was one sexy lady. Michael Parks was one lucky guy to work with her.
This is one series they need to re-air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...onson_episodes

Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I was just curious on how it handled, zuma.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:54 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: zuma

ORIGINAL: Terry1955

No, you didn't miss anything. They just didn't call the Sportster 883's back then. Then Came Bronson was my favorite movie and TV show back then. When you watch it now it's pretty cheezy but it was great when I was a kid. The series didn't last very long.

ORIGINAL: zuma

? Did I miss something
Terry, I was just quoting the offficial site.

"The motorcycles used in the series were supplied by Harley-Davidson (according to the closing credits of the episodes); Sportsters (883cc) were used for the road shots and close-ups, with a Harley-Davidson Sprint SS350 and a Czechoslovakian CZ, and possibly a Harley Rapido 125, used occasionally for hillclimbs, beach scenes and other rough-terrain riding.
According to Bud Ekins, the stunt coordinator for the movie and the series, MGM bought two or three Sportsters for the pilot movie (which was filmed in the fall of 1968; the bikes were probably the 1969 model XLH). The bike used in the hill climb and beach scenes was a CZ, provided by Bud, who was a CZ dealer at the time. The bikes were sold after the movie was completed."
Yep, the official site, much like HDs "official history" has a few inaccuracies. While everybody knew the Sportsters had 883 cc engines, everybody called them 900 cc motors. Most of the guys I knew usually didn't even say what size, 'cause before '72 there was only the one size. And like the Big Twins were 74s, for 74 cu. in., the Sportsters were 55s, for 55 cu. in. But even that was wrong 'cause they were actually 53.9 cu. in.

Confused?

Old 12-15-2007, 11:09 PM
drogers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I was a kid and loved the show,I used to laugh at the light weight 2 stroke bikes used in the off road scenes with the Harley sound effects. How dumb did they think we were to not notice the diff when the switced from a Sportster to a dirt bike in the next scene.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Wilinfla
Tourer

Rodent,

Do you know who made your DVD's? I would love to get the complete series on DVD, I used to love that show when I was a kid.

Will

Old 12-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Wilinfla
Tourer

I answered my own question. I found the complete season along with the pilot for $44.00 at www.forbiddenzone.ecrater.com/. Not a bad price for 7 DVD's.

WIll

Old 12-16-2007, 01:43 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Skip I'm trying to think wasn't their even a few years that they were running with 900 on the air cleaner cover?

Old 12-16-2007, 01:46 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough to find anyone cooler than Bronson.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:14 AM
azhole
Road Master

My uncles used to watch that show. One had a electric purple sportster chopper. It was a beautiful bike, till he went into boot camp and his brother got drunk and wasted it, just like he did the shelby he had also. I think my uncle came back from boot camp a little pissed off

The one that wasted the chopper used to ride his honda to Wyoming every summer and work and play there. 17 years old and riding from Phoenix to jackson hole every summer on a 450 one year, then 750fours, after that. He was killed on a goldwing, or actually off the goldwing when it went down and a car hit him and killed him. He was actually a excellent rider, at that point, but it was halloween night and who knows what happened for him to go down.

Maybe I'm just gabby tonight, but these guys are the reason I got indoctrinated into bike riding, and they used to watch the Bronson series, they lived with my parents in their teens. Kinda like big brothers that would kick my *** I may not recall correctly,, but I think both of them had motorcycle licenses at 14 years old. I remember it was younger than a car driving license.
I feel like a chatty mother****er tonight, I guess[>:]

Old 12-16-2007, 08:57 AM
johnboy1958
Cruiser

Wouldn't it be great to just take off and go. I thought that's what I would do when I grew up. But life doesn't always work out the way you want it to. Now at 49 I'm stuckin a rut. Morgage and all.

Quick Reply: Then Came Bronson!