General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Insurance from someone who knows. Must Read

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 01:24 PM
IcemanVA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle Insurance from someone who knows. Must Read

It's good to see all the responses and that some people read the post, just trying to look out after my fellow bikers.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas all !! (YES, I said Christmas)

Old 12-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Bigbird07
Cruiser

yes, unnderinsured.best never drive with out it.. it cost me $30.00 per year for that coverage

Old 12-15-2007, 06:16 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your proxcimity to mexico. think about it for a min. I live in san diego..
ORIGINAL: R1Geezrglide

I recently moved from downtown Chicago to a quiet suburb of Houston. My cycle insurance doubled. Nearly every section matched,give or take a few dollars, except for one....guess which one. The un-insured/underinsured motorist coverage is as much as I was paying for the whole yearly policy in Chicago! Same limits! 5 years ago, Houston and Chicago were even...Go figure. I have a hard time accepting there is that big a difference between these two areas.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:36 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post. I thought everyone (State) was covered. Here in NYS (like MA) its mandatory. I have State Farm and UM is built in, car and mcy.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:00 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

guess ......?
what" I saved a lot" on today?

Old 12-15-2007, 08:55 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I realize that Houston's proximity to Mexico could be a factor. I was in the car business in Chicago andatleasthalf of the vehicle accidents that I was privy to involved hit and run or uninsured motorists. It was so commonplace that it was unusual for there to actually be a responsible second party. I know Houston isbad, it just that can't believeChicago is any better.BTW, Houston and Chicago are neck and neck fortotal population. Houstonis just spreadout.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:00 PM
frittsk
Tourer

Great info Iceman. I have another question requarding insurance companies. I have been with Progressive for some time. Never had to file a claim, so I'm not sure how that would work out. I have both my wife's Duece and my Streetglide on the policy. Recently, I went onto the lizard's site and go a quote. I was careful to make the coverages the same as my Progressive policy and Geico came in $200 a year less. Doesn't seem right to me. Is there something I'm not reading between the lines?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:04 PM
IcemanVA
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: frittsk

Great info Iceman. I have another question requarding insurance companies. I have been with Progressive for some time. Never had to file a claim, so I'm not sure how that would work out. I have both my wife's Duece and my Streetglide on the policy. Recently, I went onto the lizard's site and go a quote. I was careful to make the coverages the same as my Progressive policy and Geico came in $200 a year less. Doesn't seem right to me. Is there something I'm not reading between the lines?
Nope, each company uses its own actuarial data to set their base rates. After all the other factors such as loss data etc are taken into account the companywould then factor in a reasonable profit margin and set its rates accordingly. Then they file this with the State Dept of Insurance and if its approved,they are free to conduct business accordingly.

Sounds like you got a good deal. There shouldn't be any "tricks" up their sleeve, trust me, that would be considered bait and switch. Insurance companies are HEAVILY regulated by the state and are audited often for compliance with insurance laws. They'd never get away with it.

As long as you did a good apples to apples comparison to ensure your coverages were the same AND you were truthful about any accidents, Tickets, DUI's or Suspensions in the period of time they asked, you have nothing to fear.

Take the lower rate bro...I've saved $178 bucks recently on my scoot too.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:39 PM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I have Tricare health coverage as a retired Marine. It covers injuries or sickness regardless of the cause.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:33 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: IcemanVA

Working in the motorcycle insurance industry I see many people reject Uninsured and/or Underinsured motorist coverage instates where doing so is allowed by law. The reason people reject this coverage is in some states it can be one of the most expensive coverages on your policy, but thats not always the case.

We just processed an accident claim recently where the biker did this and was struck by a cager who was driving without insurance. The biker and his wife had close to $100,000 in bodily injury and because of his rejection of this coverage, not a dime of insurance to cover it.

I know there was some issue with his private health insurancenot wanting to cover a motorcycle accident, but cannot remember the details.

There are 2 morals to the story:
1) unless its REALLY cost prohibitive, do not reject UM and/or UIM coverage on your motorcycle insurance...
2) it would be smart to check with yourhealth insurance provider or HMOand ask ifthey have an exclusion for motorcycle accidents. You may be surprised at the answer, but its best to know beforehand.
It might not be a bad idea to explain what these coverages are.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Insurance from someone who knows. Must Read