General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Insurance from someone who knows. Must Read

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:44 AM
IcemanVA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle Insurance from someone who knows. Must Read

ORIGINAL: Serpentsminion

The cost of the Bodily Injury portion of the premiums is inversely proportionate to the odds of high payout for medical costs. Most often medical costs will be tenfold the cost of repairs to the bike. If the medical industry in this country wasn't so f***d up, over inflated and under-regulated things wouldn't be so bad.

But hey, them fat-rat medicare and phramacuetical CEO's got island propertyand ski-home taxes to pay for and have to be able to afford to fuel their private jets, right?

Not that I'm bitter or anything-
You are right on the money here. It all comes down to a few solid factors. Insurance rates are determined using the law of large numbers and loss experience over time...and trust me there are mountains of market research data to support it.

Here is a crash course in insurance 101. Each State is basically broken down by aterritory or zip code. That territory is thenlooked at for frequency and severity of loss over "x" period of time broken down by coverge (Bodily injury,property damage, UM, collision etc). Factor in the historical average cost ofpaymentfor a given coverage and that gives you a good "base" premium for that coverage. You can see that when the cost of parts, shop labor, and yes the over-paid medical industry "professionals" and drug manufacturing goes up it does impact insurance.

Also if Houston has historically had a high amount of Uninsured and/or Underinsured losses in your paticular territory or zip code and the severityh of those has been high,expect to have higher premiums for UM/UIM. Same goes for Comprehensive coverage (heavily influenced by theft claims) etc, etc...

You can then see how insurance FRAUD affects us all...more azzholes faking claims = more claims to pay = more losses to the insurance company = higher premiums for us = more azzholes faking claims = etc etc...a vicious circle.
But it is a felony and the fraud investigators are very very good theses days and it ain't worth it.

UM and UIM should be NOT AT FAULT claims on your "insurance record". Since they kick in when the guy hitting you either doesnt have any or enough coverage to cover your medical bills. If you need coverage to cover your BIKE damage for UM losses, that would be UMPD (uninsured motorist property damage).

Anyhow, thats the basics....

Old 12-15-2007, 06:55 AM
IcemanVA
Cruiser

The minimum amount of the liability portion of your insurance is set by each State individually and may vary. For instance,Illinois requires20/40/15. Translated means Bodily Injury coverage of 20,000 per person/40,000 per accident and 15,000 of property damage.

Texas requires 20/40/15 also as a minimum.

I'd never carry only the minimum limits though. If you hit someone AT FAULT and their injury exceeds 20,000 bucks, you are on the hook for the rest brother.
Think of how quick the medical bills, pain and suffering, mental anguish can add up, then multiply that by the number of people you injured....I carry 250,000/500,000/100,000 for my Bodily Injury/Property Damage and same for my UM Coverages.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:14 AM
lrntowrench
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Serpentsminion

The cost of the Bodily Injury portion of the premiums is inversely proportionate to the odds of high payout for medical costs. Most often medical costs will be tenfold the cost of repairs to the bike. If the medical industry in this country wasn't so f***d up, over inflated and under-regulated things wouldn't be so bad.

But hey, them fat-rat medicare and phramacuetical CEO's got island propertyand ski-home taxes to pay for and have to be able to afford to fuel their private jets, right?

Not that I'm bitter or anything-
Not saying that the CEO's don't get rich, but this has nothing to do with them. Their compensation doesn't make up 1% of their revenues even if combined together. It's all about the risk. We're riskier than others to start with, and then some of us make it worse.

I was in San Diego the last few days. One morning I'm on I5 north going with the flow of traffic at 75mph next to another car, when an idiot on a BMW bike lane splits between us. Now, the speed limit was 55. All 4 lanes were filled but all were moving really well. One twitch and that guy isn't just killing himself, but he's also putting the entire group of cars at risk. There is no reason for what he was doing except stupidity and a complete lack of consideration for other drivers and riders.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:40 AM
peteflht
4th Gear

IcemanVA, thanks for the heads up;
It ain'ta bad idea to look at your policy every 6 months. I've got some changes to make

Old 12-15-2007, 08:47 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no place on the 5 in San Diego that is 55, it is 65. Which doesn't mean we don't all pay for folks that ride like that and crash.

+1 on checking your coverage on all of your policies on a regular bases. One to make sure you have the coverage you think you have, but also your situation changes, best to have the appropriate coverage.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:59 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my insurance delcaration/policy for the upcoming year, wife and I are going to look it over, as this would be the best time to do so. Thanks for the post.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:06 AM
forever 2 wheels
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the post. I will check mine out. Happy Holidays to all! Watch out for all the cages.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46904/6C816F0B037A4B59BE154A09958E7DD3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Bluerose

I saw a post last yearI think where someone found thier injuries in a car/motorcycle accident were excluded from thier regular health insurance coveage. I jumped to look at my policy and luckily I am covered....

Old 12-15-2007, 09:28 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

UM and/or UIM coverage is mandatory here in MA. I'd get even if it weren't. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:19 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Sometimes you find out to late. I have an EPO provider and I am hoping all is covered from my recent fall. I will be adding the personal injury to my bike insurance when I get going again, just to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Insurance from someone who knows. Must Read