General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Men's FXRG® Midweight Leather Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 PM
ziggiegreen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Men's FXRG® Midweight Leather Jacket

I was looking for a riding jacket and found Men's FXRG® Midweight Leather Jacket. It has some kind of plastic plates in the elbows and shoulders. Also has a removeable kidney belt. But it is $600! My wife wants me to have it, but I don't know about spending that kind of money. Does anyone know if it is worth it?

Old 12-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Men's FXRG® Midweight Leather Jacket

You can spend as much as you want on a leather jacket. Personally, I don't think any jacket is worth $600. I picked up a perfectly good Harley heavy duty leather jacket in excellent condition for $65 on Craigslist. Great for the road...not in a fashion contest. Lots of noobs spent bucks and found that riding just wasn't their cup of tea. Lots out there.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:29 PM
krautrock
Cruiser

$600? Nope ... but it definitely is worth the price if a) your local dealer gives you a (not uncommon) 20% discount, or b) you order it for $459 + $20 shipping on eBay from St. Paul Harley-Davidson. I most certainly love mine ... super-flexible with it being waterproof, the removable liner, the vents, etc., etc. ... has got all the armor-gizmos to save your skin, and is surprisingly non-show-off looking.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:30 PM
ziggiegreen
Cruiser

I'm not worried about fashion, but protection. I was just wondering if the plates in the elbows and shoulders would really help. I found some nice jackets on ebay for $100. But if I think something might really help keep me safe, I will pay for it.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:33 PM
krautrock
Cruiser

ziggie, there's lots of other jackets - leather and nylon - that are well-made and offer good protection (yes, armor can save yer bones). So if you're "just" looking for protection, you might as well get something a bit cheaper (make sure it's got CE-approved armor) ... if OTH you're looking for what may very well be the last leather jacket you'll ever buy, then you can't go wrong with the FXRG one ... just don't pay the full $600 for it.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:12 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the FXRG leather jacket and pants, and while it's hard to say whether it's "worth it", since I don't know your financial situation, it was worth the (full retail) price to me (I bought it locally since I wouldn't be able to size it properly if I bought mail order). Probably there are other jackets that offer the same level of armor and even thicker leather, if you shop around. But the FXRG stuff has the nicest (softest and beautifully made) leather I've worn. The built-in kidney belt is very nice, the vents work pretty well, and there are well-thought-out pockets (cell phone, glasses, plus the usual ones on the outside of the jacket). I was surprised to find that the jacket and pants kept me a bit warmer on a cold day than my Aerostitch one-piece suit. That extra zipper on the inside that is supposed to be the wind-breaker really does work. And the liner is excellent, too (I have taken to wearing it with my Aerostitch when I ride my BMWs).

It would be hard NOT to like the FXRG jacket.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:36 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go down to your local dealer and try on the FXRG to find the right size.....then order one from this place for$450

Or check out the jackets at www.foxcreekleather.com their product is all made in the USA and warrantied for LIFE. Their customer service is better than any other place I have seen.....and no matter how long you search, you cant find a bad word on the net about them.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:46 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not sure when I'll buy my next jacket but afterall the good thingsI've read about Fox Creek I know they'll make the one I buy.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Worth it, but if you look around dealers have it on sale for 450.00 Thats what I paid last December. You will sweat before you ever get cold!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 AM
goosem3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got one and really like it. I didn't pay the full price, but got mine for $450.00. It has the removable liner (two jackets in one) and I have riddern down to 35 degrees without any problems. It's a good jacket, but don't pay full price.

Quick Reply: Men's FXRG® Midweight Leather Jacket