General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - dealers can't GIVE them away
27.68%
No - New EPA rules make this engine the FUTURE of the MoCo
55.36%
What's a V-rod?
10.71%
These are the coolest bikes HD makes & Honda needs the competition
6.25%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Was the V-rod line a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:17 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Was the V-rod line a mistake?

I have to chuckle at the V-Rod as a bagger comments. That engine was derived from the V1000 racing engine. Racing engines make their power at high rpm. It is totally inappropriate for a bagger engine. Beyond that, HD already makes the best, and most popular touring bike.
The V-Rod is a big seller in Europe, probably because it's 100% metric as much as anything, but it has been a disaster here. I'm sure in their heart of hearts that HD wishes they had never put the HD name on it. As a Buell it would have been just another Buell and still would have sold in Europe.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mp

I have to chuckle at the V-Rod as a bagger comments. That engine was derived from the V1000 racing engine. Racing engines make their power at high rpm. It is totally inappropriate for a bagger engine. Beyond that, HD already makes the best, and most popular touring bike.
The V-Rod is a big seller in Europe, probably because it's 100% metric as much as anything, but it has been a disaster here. I'm sure in their heart of hearts that HD wishes they had never put the HD name on it. As a Buell it would have been just another Buell and still would have sold in Europe.
I respectfully disagree with that statement. Any engine can be tuned for torque or horsepower. It can be made totally appropriate for any application.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

I could not answer the poll either. IMO a liquid cooled HD bagger is in the near future, but not the V-Rod platform. Personally, I think that HD will come out with a larger displacement, slower reving monster to stuff in the 88 line, and continue to try and attract a new market segment to HD with a Buell and current V-Rod line. It may take years, but HD has made a huge success out of themselves by offering a "old" style engine to the masses. Just think about it, no HD guy would look at the V-Rod when it came out, now it is almost accepted, and in a few years it will be defended by all HD guys as the best water cooled American built engine ever.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:55 PM
RAJ
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a V-Rod for 2 weeks when my 883 was down, they gave me one to ride. They are quick, maybe alittle to quick. For some reason I wanted to blast through the gears like a wild man...lol.
I don't think they are a bad bike, they are not my taste. I do like the 06 Screaming Eagle V-Rod, the look is sweet.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:45 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mp
IThe V-Rod is a big seller in Europe, probably because it's 100% metric as much as anything, but it has been a disaster here. I'm sure in their heart of hearts that HD wishes they had never put the HD name on it. As a Buell it would have been just another Buell and still would have sold in Europe.
??? Overseas Harley-Davidson volume is miniscule compare to NA. Its #6 performance (out of 28) is almost due exclusively to volume here. It's like saying the 22 models below it are disasters. Note about 2/3's of V-Rod buyers are new to Milwaukee. Good financial news for the MoCo. What else could Harley have done to bring in new dollars versus trade dollars with already loyal owners who always buy H-D regardless. Another Softail or Dyna variation? Hardly. V-Rod Disaster? Hardly.

Understand company strategic product planning. There's great reluctance to introduce a product B if the buyer is someone who was going to buy the same company's product A. There's no incremental volume (unless there's a trade-up) and it actually increases company costs to do this. It is a product no-no. Now, if product B takes sales away from a competitor like the V-Rod has done, very smart and good.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:46 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

The Vrod is Harleys lure to those that love the jap bikes. It is a Harley, tons of engineering which included Porche went into this dude.

Good reading here pros and cons.

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/2...s/review50.htm
http://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...arley_vrod.htm
http://www.streetbiker-mag.com/sb0119/4.html

Good History link here for all of Harley.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley_Davidson

I didn't like the thing. I don't see a Harley with a radiator. Thats what I tease my buddy about. When I say that I know I am in for about 20 minutes of ranting. I just love to jack him up every now and then.

He changed the rear gear not to long after he got it. It had a tendency to bog starting off.

He bought one and went ballastic customizing it. Wheels, paint. I will say it is a cool looking motorcycle.

Saw the Harley Vrod Drag Bike at my dealer the other day. That thing goes fast just standing still.

Was the VROD a mistake. No it wasn't. They got the crotch rocket line when they acquired Buell. Took some market away from the other manufacturers.

My dealer said sales were good. Different areas are different for the VROD. They are tailored to a different market.
But they have a model in that market now. And it is a Harley Davidson.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Gooch
Cruiser

I think Willie G. disgraced the company the he sought after foreign interests to develope the engine, so what if the technology is better, it's principle. I'll bet the fore fathers have corkscrewed to China by now from so many turnovers in their graves. MO.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain

Benz and HD Developed the water cooling for the V-Rod its very fast! and the Racing team put it to work, and I believe its great for the HD Drags. I would never own one, but it kick's A** on the strip... and the SE is way out there in price, but if you want speed YOU Pay!

Ride Safe...

Old 01-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Russelmania
Outstanding HDF Member

Didn't have a strong opinion either way on the V-Rod....Until I rode one...AWESOME....Way too fast though (Not too fast to handle, just to fast to not want to drive it fast and lose your license), Anyway at the UK Pro Custom Bike show this year, saw my first couple of truly "custom" V-rods. (Ond had a springer front end, Broomstick bars, taped pipes, flat black - Old Skool meets new Harley) AWESOME again. I am looking for a salvage V-Rod motor to build a V-Rod "Chop"....

Old 01-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior

I think they are pretty cool bikes. Rode one last year and I have to admit they are fun as all heck to ride. Not really my style...I might have one as a 3rd bike if I could afford having that many.

JB