General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - dealers can't GIVE them away
27.68%
No - New EPA rules make this engine the FUTURE of the MoCo
55.36%
What's a V-rod?
10.71%
These are the coolest bikes HD makes & Honda needs the competition
6.25%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Was the V-rod line a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:13 PM
roadkingboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Was the V-rod line a mistake?

Hi guys,

When it comes to the Vrod I think you need to look a bit wider. It has changed HDs profile in Europe enormously and I think it was HDs best seller in UK last year.
I ride an 03 RoadKing Classic and an 01 Fatboy, now,but I had one of the 1st Vrods into the UK. It truly is a work of art if I could have afforded to keep her I would have put her in a glass case on the wall. I loved her but I dont think HD designed her for a long term Harley rider like me, but for the I wouldnt be seen dead on a Harley crew (of whom there are many here in Europe) If you have been riding crotch rockets forever it is a big leap to change to a big twin, but the Vrod engine is a real jewel and jap crap riders love it, the VSRCA was still a bit kicked out for them but the change to more of a jockey riding position and it really has shown them a serious new side to HD.
The fact that I do 99% of my riding two up also went against the Vrod (for me) but she will forever hold a place in my dream garage.

Ride safe

roadking

Old 01-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Older Guy
Tourer

I think by 2007 the V rod motor will be in other models, would not suprise me if they put in a dresser with a 6th speed.
Bandit

Old 01-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hoggsbreath

I see a lot of these bikes just sitting in the dealerships I go to. They attract very little interest... and when I return MONTHS later I see the same VSR's sitting there while all the other models have been bought.

So - considering all the MAJOR bucks the MoCo spent on developing this bike... was it a mistake?
Keep in mind, when you are at the dealers, there are 62 models of Harleys to choose from and that doesn't include the CVO-SE renditions of some models. The V-rod has to buck that Competition. This means there are about 65 potential buyers for the original style and 1 for the V-rod. I think the rod's engine is in some form or another, the future. Remember, we thought the original boatail super glide was way out there at the time too. JMO

Old 01-02-2006, 05:54 PM
72Hog
Cruiser

In my opinion, I think the bike looks pretty sharp. It's not exactly my taste, but I think Harley is trying to attract a different kind of rider. I like a classic look myself. This has a younger look to it. Overall I think it's a nice bike, just gotta give it time.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Wharf Rat
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThudMeister

ORIGINAL: Wharf Rat

They need to stick that motor in an Ultra with a six speed !
That engine is Harley's future. There are a few custom cycles made already with the engine. The engine has more horsepower per ci than the Evo and TC. If they could only hide the ugly radiator, that is the biggest turn off in my opinion.
I wonder if the radiator would be as noticable if it was tucked in between the Ultra's lower fairings.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:36 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Snarly

Remember, we thought the original boatail super glide was way out there at the time too. JMO

Couldn't have said it better myself. The original super glide didn't have the faithful harley owners coming out in droves...it really didn't sell very well. In the end though, it was the inspiration for many models to come.
I do think they are cool looking, and it's a positive that harley is branching out to other areas of the market.

Todd

Old 01-03-2006, 01:27 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

dont care for the v rod, but would give a touring model a second look i agree the engine is definitlly in the future of some of the other bikes. and i dont hear many complaints about how they run

Old 01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Triple Z
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wharf Rat

They need to stick that motor in an Ultra with a six speed !
Amen!

The VRSC motor is a jewel. What is the MOCO waiting for by not utilizing it in a full-on touring chassis?

Old 01-03-2006, 01:45 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Triple Z

The VRSC motor is a jewel. What is the MOCO waiting for by not utilizing it in a full-on touring chassis?

This is my question also. Personally, I love the technology, have no problem with the radiator (much better looking than most), but would like more comfort and a bigger fuel tank. The bike is filling a niche and being the #6 seller for the MOCO certainly proves that it was not a mistake.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I love the technology, have no problem with the radiator (much better looking than most), but would like more comfort and a bigger fuel tank. The bike is filling a niche and being the #6 seller for the MOCO certainly proves that it was not a mistake.
I agree. I'm sure the target market for the VRod is different than for the touring bikes.

I kow the guys in the service dept. at two different dealers and they both have the same thing to say abbout the VRod. The only time they see one is for an oil change or some type of scheduled maintenence. They just don't see any problems with them.

Quick Reply: Was the V-rod line a mistake?